Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Completely anecdotal but in terms of real world office-discussion at two different workplaces the only comparison to TG:M in my experience in the last few years is Bond films. Obviously media coverage isn't quite as histrionic as for Bond, but informal discussion seems to be close.

Honestly, one of my workplaces I NEVER hear film discussion but heard it twice this week. The other was an education environment where comic book and other movies are discussed often by students but rarely by staff, but staff were talking plenty about TG:M last week, and that was before the reception.

Played amazingly in my theatre with lots of positive responses from kids, which would have been my main worry otherwise.

1 minute ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Completely anecdotal but in terms of real world office-discussion at two different workplaces the only comparison to TG:M in my experience in the last few years is Bond films. Obviously media coverage isn't quite as histrionic as for Bond, but informal discussion seems to be close.

Honestly, one of my workplaces I NEVER hear film discussion but heard it twice this week. The other was an education environment where comic book and other movies are discussed often by students but rarely by staff, but staff were talking plenty about TG:M last week, and that was before the reception.

Played amazingly in my theatre with lots of positive responses from kids, which would have been my main worry otherwise.

We've seen time and time again that films that are aimed at the slightly older crowd do tend to blow up. You only have to look at films like Bridget Jones's Baby, La La Land etc and I wonder why studios don't try and target those audiences more often. Obviously the superhero films and tentpoles will always bring in big bucks but Top Gun's huge opening proves that perhaps being more traditional works as well.

• Like 1

Top Gun Maverick £15.9m

Doctor Strange 2 £1.37m £37.7m

Everything Everywhere £467k £2.88m

Downton Abbey 2 £349k £13.3m

Bob’s Burgers £346k

Sonic 2 £280k £25m

I guessed £15m so I’m happy with that, what a fantastic opening weekend. The original Top Gun’s total from 1986 was £8.5m unadjusted. 

Edited by Krissykins

11 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

What is the best case scenario. Can it leg its way to £50m?

It’s possible, but depends how well it holds when JW opens. 

It was completely flat on Sunday as per Philip which is very rare. I expect it’ll be past £30m by Sunday. A 3x multi from the 5 day would be £47.7m. 

• Like 1

I’m not surprised it was flat on Sunday, my Sunday evening IMAX showing was practically as busy as the Friday showing that I attended.

There definitely seems to be a big skew towards PLF’s though, the IMAX and 4DX showings were all borderline sell outs all weekend (ScreenX was unsurprisingly quiet though, general audiences saw through that gimmick very fast…), but regular showings were probably about half full. It’ll be interesting to see how it holds when it loses IMAX.

30 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

TBF it is that surprising? It's not exactly The Simpsons or Family Guy in terms of popularity and it wasn't even promoted.

I can confirm it definitely was promoted.

Two tv spots aired during the Derry Girls series finale. There’s been plenty of social media ads too. 

51 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

TBF it is that surprising? It's not exactly The Simpsons or Family Guy in terms of popularity and it wasn't even promoted.

The show is barely a blip on the radar over here so it’s not exactly surprising that it did so poorly. I always thought it was a strange one for Fox to make a feature film out of, it’s audience has always been quite niche. You’d have thought one of the Seth MacFarlane shows would have received the movie treatment before Bobs Burgers, although even those are well past their prime now.

A second Simpsons movie could do decently if they got as many of the original writers back as possible, but at this stage it sort of feels like they’re holding off on doing another movie until after the show ends.

35 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

The show is barely a blip on the radar over here so it’s not exactly surprising that it did so poorly. I always thought it was a strange one for Fox to make a feature film out of, it’s audience has always been quite niche. You’d have thought one of the Seth MacFarlane shows would have received the movie treatment before Bobs Burgers, although even those are well past their prime now.

A second Simpsons movie could do decently if they got as many of the original writers back as possible, but at this stage it sort of feels like they’re holding off on doing another movie until after the show ends.

I would imagine The Bob's Burgers Movie will enjoy an extended life on Hulu/Star. 

A Family Guy movie is way overdue but Seth MacFarlane doesn't seem interested in doing one.