cannastop

D23 Expo 2019 Aug 23-25 | DONE

1 minute ago, DAR said:

Disney+ not on any Amazon streaming devices. 

tumblr_ot8zl4B0iM1wv6g9bo2_500.gif

I forget which streaming device, but I remember Amazon Video was excluded on one (I think Apple TV?) for the longest time. I swear these big tech companies are run by the pettiest people.

My parents own an X1 cable box, and that also only just got Amazon Video a few weeks ago. I imagine it'll take ages for them to get Disney+ on there.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

not a lot of text for so many panels 😉

Might show per that version why its not 'Batman' like some seem to simplify

Yep, Moon Knight's definitely not a Batman clone. He suffers from dissociative identity disorder (DID) and develops several personas as a way to cope with his DID. The version you just read was his 'Mr. Knight' persona, which is just one of the many personas he adopts. The personality that's most similar to Batman would be his traditional 'Moon Knight' persona, but it's more because of his costume design than whatnot. 

And yeah while Moon Knight's pretty cool, I've got to show some love to Ms. Marvel too (which like what @captainwondyful mentioned, is one of the best characters Marvel comics introduced in recent years): 

Spoiler

RCO005.jpg

RCO006.jpg

RCO007.jpg

RCO008.jpg

RCO009.jpg

RCO010.jpg

RCO011.jpg

RCO012.jpg

RCO013.jpg

RCO014.jpg

RCO015.jpg

RCO016.jpg

RCO017.jpg

RCO018.jpg

From Ms. Marvel (2014) #6. Written by G. Willow Wilson. Art by Jacob Wyatt. 

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, Eric! said:

I'm disappointed I missed some of the streaming debates from earlier (damn you sleep!), but I guess the one thing that does make me concerned about Disney+ is the potential churn factor. I'm hyped for a couple shows, but most of the originals don't scream must-sees, and I feel like after I marathon through all the Pixar and Star Wars stuff, and watch some childhood classics enough times, I'll just get bored. But then again, there's still the Fox content to come after their HBO deal wraps up, as well as the other Marvel stuff still going through other licensing rights, and Hulu is included in a bundle, so I guess I'm complaining over nothing.

Should still be more successful than what Apple is doing. They're asking $10 a month for nothing but original content that may or may not be good, while Disney+ is offering $7 a month for all the Pixar movies, every Simpsons episode, all the Star Wars movies, and all the Disney Channel movies. Even if all the originals suck, you've got enough quality content to work with.

I agree. It seems to me that the only way Apple TV+ could really have something going for it is if their original shows are all really excellent and Apple sort of brands itself as the new HBO, with a smaller pool of high quality content (which is exactly how HBO has defined itself). Or, I thought maybe Apple might do something radical and actually offer their TV+ service for free to owners of Apple products (at least at first), which would perhaps entice people into the Apple ecosystem, and therefore prove to be monetarily beneficial in other ways. But it doesn't seem they will go that direction.

I think Disney+ looks to be off to a great start, but the question for me is similar to your observation and about the long term - how will Disney fare in terms of the growth and retention of subscribers? It could fare really well, but that's the open question for me. If their content is mostly (at least initially) Marvel, Star Wars, and animation/Pixar/kids-oriented, can it really be a "Netflix killer" or replace a streaming service like HBO? What happens if you want to watch reality TV? Or cooking and baking shows? Or an adult sitcom? Etc? 

What is Disney's strategy for the coming years beyond their established IPs? Will Disney create any shows in the near future that will become ingrained in the cultural zeitgeist, like Netflix's Stranger Things and HBO's Game of Thrones, and other past shows? Disney has a great back catalog, but what is the strategy for content over the years? On the other hand, Disney is such a behemoth currently in the theatrical scene, that their theatrically released MCU, Star Wars, Pixar films, etc, over the coming years, could be enough enticement alone for a significant group of people to find Disney+ really valuable. 

And what will be Disney's subscriber growth trends worldwide? Netflix, even as it stagnates in America, has a large and growing footprint internationally, and invests in shows of different languages and cultures - will Disney do this too? Is it necessary to do this?

Just stuff I ponder as we head soon into another new era of streaming and "cord-cutting" grows.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

If you do 3 4k streams at once you better make sure you don't have data caps

Thank you a lot for the hint, fortunately we do not have caps here for the internet per fixed in a house connection. Mobile the most contracts do have a cap, but even there, its a question of price / combination of contracts e.g. with at home combined its not that expensive to get a high cap for that too.

I think some of the younger companies might do something like that, didn't look into them, not sure.

Our provider offers for our location (far away from a city) 16MBit/s, 50 MBit/s, and 100 MBit/s, seemingly in the future even 250 MBit/s (if in one year or only in 10 years, I do not know).

All are flat, its about to choose the right speed, you pay than monthly the rather varying fees.

Like is 50 MBit/s enough or to pick 100 MBit/s. If we know the speed recommended (preferable recommend by people who use it and not sales persons), we can look into router more closely. I think.

We can buy a router by ourself or rent one per the provider for a monthly fee of €4.95

We think about buying a router as after a time that would be probably cheaper than to rent. I guess, depends maybe also on how fast technology develops.

Hence why I try to find RL experience tips 😉

1 minute ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Which one of these streaming services has live sports? I think that will be huge as the streaming wars heat up.

Well you can get live sports on Hulu live right now

2 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

I think Disney+ looks to be off to a great start, but the question for me is similar to your observation and about the long term - how will Disney fare in terms of the growth and retention of subscribers? It could fare really well, but that's the open question for me. If their content is mostly (at least initially) Marvel, Star Wars, and animation/Pixar/kids-oriented, can it really be a "Netflix killer" or replace a streaming service like HBO? What happens if you want to watch reality TV? Or cooking and baking shows? Or an adult sitcom? Etc?

To be fair, Disney is investing in reality and cooking shows and the like. Not only is there a whole bunch of National Geographic stuff on the platform, but they're also developing Encore! (that show has a trailer) and are working with the documentary studio Supper Club (the team behind Chef's Table on Netflix) to create a whole bunch of unscripted shows for the platform. Also wouldn't surprise me if Disney+ has a few sitcoms and programs that could be considered "adult" but still safe for the family-friendly platform from their ABC Studios and Fox Television library (Black-ish, Modern Family, etc. Once Upon a Time is already confirmed).

Of course, Disney isn't really highlighting those shows at the moment, because...well, those don't make Disney nerds go crazy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Thank you a lot for the hint, fortunately we do not have caps here for the internet per fixed in a house connection. Mobile the most contracts do have a cap, but even there, its a question of price / combination of contracts e.g. with at home combined its not that expensive to get a high cap for that too.

I think some of the younger companies might do something like that, didn't look into them, not sure.

Our provider offers for our location (far away from a city) 16MBit/s, 50 MBit/s, and 100 MBit/s, seemingly in the future even 250 MBit/s (if in one year or only in 10 years, I do not know).

All are flat, its about to choose the right speed, you pay than monthly the rather varying fees.

Like is 50 MBit/s enough or to pick 100 MBit/s. If we know the speed recommended (preferable recommend by people who use it and not sales persons), we can look into router more closely. I think.

We can buy a router by ourself or rent one per the provider for a monthly fee of €4.95

We think about buying a router as after a time that would be probably cheaper than to rent. I guess, depends maybe also on how fast technology develops.

Hence why I try to find RL experience tips 😉

I think depending where in your house the TVs are, you might want to look into either trying to actually run ethernet cables out of a standard router connected to the modem... a good router should have about 4-5 ethernet connections available, and if you can run wires through walls and ceilings to your TVs, that's probably going to be the best solution.... but a lot of people can't make that work, so I think the next best option might be a mesh wireless network with 3 or 4 nodes... It's not cheap, but it should provide you the most even coverage across your house. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Eric! said:

To be fair, Disney is investing in reality and cooking shows and the like. Not only is there a whole bunch of National Geographic stuff on the platform, but they're also developing Encore! (that show has a trailer) and are working with the documentary studio Supper Club (the team behind Chef's Table on Netflix) to create a whole bunch of unscripted shows for the platform. Also wouldn't surprise me if Disney+ has a few sitcoms and programs that could be considered "adult" but still safe for the family-friendly platform from their ABC Studios and Fox Television library (Black-ish, Modern Family, etc. Once Upon a Time is already confirmed).

Of course, Disney isn't really highlighting those shows at the moment, because...well, those don't make Disney nerds go crazy.

Good points - Disney+ could still prove to be strong in those areas. But yeah, the biggest absence would be adult shows, in the same vein of House of Cards, Game of Thrones, Big Little Lies, etc, I think. But that may not matter any to Disney, who probably isn't at all concerned with trying to capture that audience. And I suppose they're banking on Hulu on filling that gap. 

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ