cannastop

D23 Expo 2019 Aug 23-25 | DONE

Disney is offering a big discount to super fans. D23 fan-club members and people attending the D23 conference will be able to sign up for a "Founders Circle" offer that cuts $23 off the annual price if you commit to a three-year subscription. That works out to be $140.97 total, or the equivalent of $3.92 a month. The offer is available to D23 expo attendees physically at the event that runs Aug. 23 through Aug. 25, and it will be extended online until Sept. 2 for D23 fan-club members.

No wonder they were screaming so loud.  :lol:  They also get a low price lock b/c we all know the price will go up over the years.

https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-plus-streaming-service-release-date-price-shows-and-movies-to-expect-d23-mandalorian/

Also

In Canada, Disney Plus will be priced at 9 Canadian dollars a month, or C$90 per year. In the Netherlands, it will be 7 euros per month, or €70 per year. In Australia, it will be priced at 9 Australian dollars a month, or AUS$90 per year.  And New Zealand subscribers will pay 10 New Zealand dollars per month, or NZ$100 per year.

Globally, Disney plans a progressive rollout worldwide over two years. The company provided a generalized timeline for when it will expand the service to the world's major regions. 

Disney Plus is slated to roll out in:

• Western Europe over the course of six months between October this year and March of next year
  • Eastern Europe over the course of a year starting as early as October 2020
  • Latin America over the course of three months starting as early as October 2020
  • Asia Pacific over the course of two years starting as early as October this year

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I think the best thing that we need to enjoy while it lasts is that for the next few years until things shake out we’re getting what seems to be approaching a dozen streaming services spending billions on original content. A lot of that content is SciFi/Fantasy that previously nobody wanted to make. Plus it’s all getting cinema quality CGI. 

That part is great, it should give a nice push for the worldwide industry

What is looking bad is, the actual streaming services offer acc to the casting people very bad pay and even worse conditions, like 5 years bounds to them without being allowed to take on work with another show in between....

This is from an European film festival's panel, but.... (spoiler tags for length)

Streaming companies offering “outrageous” low fees to actors, say casting directors

Spoiler

The dominant streaming companies are offering “outrageous” contracts to emerging actors, preventing them from taking on other work, claimed a panel of casting directors at the Sarajevo Film Festival today.

“It’s outrageous, the low fees,” said French casting director Natalie Cheron. “[Actors] have to sign up for five years, they aren’t allowed to do any other shows. It is a big deal. But there are actors who are starving and willing to accept anything sometimes.”

She cited the strength of actors’ unions in France as providing some protection from these conditions; protection which is not necessarily available elsewhere in Europe.

Bosnian casting director Timka Grin noted the global platform often provided by the SVoDs persuades actors to take work with them as a showcase. “Actors want to do a TV series as an opportunity to be in the movies,” she said. 

Addressing an audience containing many actors from the Balkan region, Cheron acknowledged the differing value of working for a streaming company in different territories.

“I can understand that a Bosnian or Croatian or Lithuanian actor accepts conditions that are not so great, but it gives them an international visibility. France produces 300 feature films per year – so how spoilt are French actors?! They won’t go for anything at any price.” she claimed. 

Cheron and Grin were joined by casting director Beatrice Kruger from Italy, Piotr Bartuszek from Poland and Corinna Glauss from Switzerland in discussing the state of the casting industry and offering advice to actors attending the Sarajevo Film Festival.

The event was called Attaching Actors And Securing The Best Cast: How A Casting Director Can Help Your Project and took place as part of the CineLink industry strand. 

The casting directors are attending the festival to participate in a program of masterclasses to increase the exposure for actors from the region. The initiative, which started in a pilot version last year, is running in conjunction with the International Casting Directors Network, of which Kruger is the head.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/streaming-companies-offering-outrageous-low-fees-to-actors-say-casting-directors/5142098.article

edit to add (Prothos already saw it):

@Barnack , maybe something for your database of all things around the business? in case you missed it.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

In the Netherlands, it will be 7 euros per month, or €70 per year

Neighbour country to us within Europe, so I guess it will be the same price here in Germany too.

That's way less then 50% of Netflix = not that far away form one third.

Netflix with similar usage conditions is here in Germany €15.99 actually.

That's $17.75 per month actually and no offer for 'pay 10 months get 12 months' see the Disney pricing

= $213 per year for Netflix vs $77.7 per year for Disney+

26 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Disney now owns Hotstar. 

I thought they own it already, like since earlier see takeover finalised?

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

See we’re £9.99 here in the UK for everything. 

I wonder how Disney plus will work here, since Hulu and ESPN don’t exist in the UK. And no one here is remotely interested in American sports lol. 

It's now £12. They sent out the email 2 days ago.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Marvel sending two of their female heroes straight to TV instead of giving them films isn’t surprising. 

They are supposed to be introduced and appear in films laters, that's the case with every Disney+ show.

I am not huge fun of Disney but a least they are trying. Women directors on the white male shows, people of color in front and back of the camera on others. Yes it would be great if every character got a movie but then we would have to wait years for Ms Marvel to come. More than five or seven.

Eternals, Black Widow and Thor 4 are women led movies, Shang-Chi and Blade POC led movies. The only white male movie in phase four is Doctor Strange and he costars with Wanda.

They are trying. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hermia said:

They are supposed to be introduced and appear in films laters, that's the case with every Disney+ show.

I am not huge fun of Disney but a least they are trying. Women directors on the white male shows, people of color in front and back of the camera on others. Yes it would be great if every character got a movie but then we would have to wait years for Ms Marvel to come. More than five or seven.

Eternals, Black Widow and Thor 4 are women led movies, Shang-Chi and Blade POC led movies. The only white male movie in phase four is Doctor Strange and he costars with Wanda.

They are trying. 

I think once characters have appeared on TV, it just waters them down, less cinematic. 

They obviously dont see them as viable hits in cinemas, therefore they’re going to TV instead. 

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I think once characters have appeared on TV, it just waters them down, less cinematic. 

They obviously dont see them as viable hits in cinemas, therefore they’re going to TV instead. 

They aren't viable. We already had a hulk movie and it bombed. Dobut She-Hulk would do any better.  Also MS Marvel movie would be to confusing for the GA since there's a Captain Marvel as well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

They obviously dont see them as viable hits in cinemas, therefore they’re going to TV instead. also

Its not a bad idea to get rid of the origin part 1 movies so many already complained about (not me, I actually like them often more than the next parts).

Plus it gives more time to develop per character and so on.

More opportunities for crossovers, get people used to combinations of material and ~ media types.

In combination with the seemingly high interest into Disney+ soon also in many countries next year too, the cheap prices...

I think its another form of helping the build ups for the next movies. Amd merchandise... and mabe even the parks in a few years.

30 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’ve never even heard of Moon Night. 

3 month ago a lot of people seem to have researched him in connection with something called rdcworld 1 vid

That channel has quite some followers, in the intro the speaker says question for Moon Knight*s history are the 2nd most often asked for, if I understand his too fast for me speaking style (as the clip is from 2015 I think already long before that rdc thing)

Spoiler

You missed out some VERY important key points. 1. Moon Knight's strength, endurance, and reflexes are enhanced depending upon the different phases of the moon. The fuller the moon, the more strength Moon Knight derives from it. Even during a new moon, he is able to lift several hundred pounds (pretty much peak physical conditioning) but depending on how full the moon is, his strength is enhanced to minor superhuman level, with a full moon being at his peak. He has been stripped of this ability before but at times he has gained this ability back. 2. Moon Knight is that good at hand to hand combat that he is one of the very few characters (along with Deadpool) to beat Taskmaster (who has the ability to copy any of his foe's fighting styles) in a straight up fist fight. Taskmaster refuses to copy his fighting style and at times even refused to fight him altogether as Moon Knight will often rather take a punch than block or dodge it, if it means getting the upper hand on his opponent. 3. Going back to number 2, due to Moon Knight's brawler fighting style and allowing himself to get hit means he's often susceptible to deadly blows and can often lead him to being knocked out. Due to his multiple personality disorder he has the ability that if one of his personalities is knocked out during a fight, he will immediately regain consciousness, as one of his other personalities will take over allowing him to continue the fight. These are some of the key defining features of the character and I wonder how on earth did you miss them!?

Out of the comments, for length in spoiler tags

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

It will be interesting to see how the streaming battle unfolds over the next few years. Every single one of these companies is overpaying for its content as of now. 90% of Netflix's original content is mediocre with very little re-watch value. Every thing Apple has shown so far looks terrible so what are they spending 6 billions on ? Disney content is for kids and fanboys so they'll get a big boost early on but how long is it going to be sustainable at their price-point ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TLK said:

It will be interesting to see how the streaming battle unfolds over the next few years. Every single one of these companies is overpaying for its content as of now. 90% of Netflix's original content is mediocre with very little re-watch value. Every thing Apple has shown so far looks terrible so what are they spending 6 billions on ? Disney content is for kids and fanboys so they'll get a big boost early on but how long is it going to be sustainable at their price-point ?

Yup.

There.

Will.

Be.

Blood.

See you in 2029 folks.

Who has surived.

Who has Not.

Edited by The Futurist

28 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Its not a bad idea to get rid of the origin part 1 movies so many already complained about (not me, I actually like them often more than the next parts).

Plus it gives more time to develop per character and so on.

More opportunities for crossovers, get people used to combinations of material and ~ media types.

In combination with the seemingly high interest into Disney+ soon also in many countries next year too, the cheap prices...

I think its another form of helping the build ups for the next movies. Amd merchandise... and mabe even the parks in a few years.

Sorry, your edit to my post doesn’t make any sense. 

If they were confident they were cinematic, they’d be doing a film first.