cannastop

D23 Expo 2019 Aug 23-25 | DONE

1 hour ago, Hermia said:

They are supposed to be introduced and appear in films laters, that's the case with every Disney+ show.

I am not huge fun of Disney but a least they are trying. Women directors on the white male shows, people of color in front and back of the camera on others. Yes it would be great if every character got a movie but then we would have to wait years for Ms Marvel to come. More than five or seven.

Eternals, Black Widow and Thor 4 are women led movies, Shang-Chi and Blade POC led movies. The only white male movie in phase four is Doctor Strange and he costars with Wanda.

They are trying. 

NO. Thor is still the lead. They may take the sequels from him and have 40+ years old 5 footer play the female version as the lead but Thor is still the lead in L&T. Also, lets get out of the way that thanks to EG, Thor 4 would have made the most money of Thor movies no matter who appears in the movie besides Thor. So when it opens the biggest and makes its billie, I know that manufactured narrative is going to be that it's all Mighty Thor (Jane)'s doing and that Thor himself isn't needed and the usual ra ra shit, but you and they and we all know that the movie would have those numbers without her because that's how fandom expansion post-Avengers always work. 

As for Ms Marvel, TV show is the right place for her as the lead cause her powers are really goofy and not something a lot of people want to have. That's fine for a supporting character in an ensemble movie but not for the lead in a solo. I've seen panels and they are really cringe. I honestly can't imagine why any girl would want to have ability to grow part of her body like a giant hand or extensive leg or whatever. I'm sure she's delightful but her powers are shit to put it politely, really don't look appealing. Also, Hulk couldn't get a franchise off the ground (another goofy looking character that works better as a supporting one than a lead) so why would She-Hulk be different? Another one that's better suited for a TV lead and supporting character in an ensemble movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Why does that sound like a massive smash, but She Hulk and Ms Marvel don’t? 

I’ve never even heard of Moon Night. 

He cool. Ms Marvel and She-Hulk are not. The trick with SH is for audience to want to have the power. Nobody wants to have Hulking power or Ms Marvel's body part growing/shrinking/whatever power. It's gross. That's why Hulk works better as a comic sidekick than a lead. The fact that they tried to make serious Hulk movies made it even worse. He's a goofy looking green blob, he's never going to be accepted as a serious take on dual personality or whatever. That simply isn't a 200M budget movie lead material and neither are She-Hulk and Ms Marvel. The latter not only has similar name as Captain Marvel but, as I already said, really ridiculous, cringe powers. People want powers that are sexy - flight, cool armor, energy blasts, strength, cool weapon, that sort of thing. Ant Man movies will never do as well as other MCU because shrinking isn't sexy. It's cute and goofy enough for kids to laugh but that's the problem. They all laugh at it. Hulking isn't sexy cause Hulk looks funny even with hulking penis jokes you just can't get over the goofy look. Ms Marvel's hand grows, ugh, that's ugly. And her costume is designed not to make her attractive cause of her religion that majority of SH audience doesn't belong to and doesn't relate to demand that she wears baggy suit. Who wants a baggy suit? So why are fans of this character pretending that she has global appeal when she really doesn't. She's a niche character created for specific culture in mind that can relate to her problems which are foreign to everyone else. Therefore you don't invest 200M in Little Mosque on a Prairie movie, you put that story on TV where its audience is. Nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 3

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

She's a niche character created for specific culture in mind that can relate to her problems which are foreign to everyone else.

There are over a billion muslims in this world. There are going to be a shitton of people who can relate to her. Also, I wonder if all the non-upper class, non-white people in the world (pretty much most of the world's population) could relate to Tony Stark? Oh wait, they did. I bet non-muslims can relate to Kamala easily.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 10

39 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Sorry, your edit to my post doesn’t make any sense. 

If they were confident they were cinematic, they’d be doing a film first. 

See my inclusion about a lot of people saying they are over origin movies... plus it would mean to wait way longer, there is a finite movies per year possible only, but a ton of possibilities for screentime per character.

Don't forget, they do have the FOX Marvels also to get up and running.

I think to think only an immediate movie is the only way too show confidence wont be ~ true in the near future already, in part even now already, with all those streaming versions I think the entertainment world is changing immensely not only middle term or long term.

I think there is a principle change in how they want the next characters and teams to build up since ~ 2 years now.

the abc shows are still ~ overseen (per reported to...) by someone who is ... limited in his imagination at best. The responsibility and so on of the new series lies with Feige, who has another approach than Perlmutter

In September 2015, Perlmutter stopped overseeing the development of Marvel Studios. Disney felt the studio head, Kevin Feige, should report directly to the chairman of The Walt Disney Studios, Alan Horn, so all cinematic properties of Disney, including Pixar and Lucasfilm, were under one management structure. The restructuring was allegedly due to Feige's "frustration" of working with Perlmutter as well as some alleged controversial comments and actions by Perlmutter, such as replacing the casting of Terrence Howard as James Rhodes with Don Cheadle because black people "look the same."[14] A person with knowledge of his creative approach said, "Ike Perlmutter neither discriminates nor cares about diversity, he just cares about what he thinks will make money."[15]Jeph Loeb, who oversees Marvel Television and the television properties of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, still reports to Perlmutter.[16]

The Netflix series cast as far as I know never was planed to be part of any movie from the beginning, at least some of those Feige/MCU mini-series' actors are already part of the movies too and announced to (re-)appear in the movies too

Its in my POV a principle change.

21 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Also, I wonder if all the non-upper class, non-white people in the world (pretty much most of the world's population) could relate to Tony Stark?

:rofl: . :worthy::rotfl: soooo true

People are too fixed on compartmentalisation

edit to add:

plus its on Disney+, so it might 'creep' into ww awareness per the next generation too, maybe a good basis for future movies...

All those animated series that are so normal in the US - its not the same everywhere - yet. And as its live action... teen too might see it not as 'too young' as some do. Same actors/actresses...

Fans love that usually

Edited by terrestrial

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

There are over a billion muslims in this world. There are going to be a shitton of people who can relate to her. Also, I wonder if all the non-upper class, non-white people in the world (pretty much most of the world's population) could relate to Tony Stark? Oh wait, they did. I bet non-muslims can relate to Kamala easily.

Nope. Tony is generic. He isn't culture specific. Anyone can wear IM costume without being accused of cultural appropriation. I assure you that you cannot do that with Kamala's shalwar kameez suit. Someone is always going to screech that it's offensive if you aren't part of shalwar kameez culture. 

Also, over billion Mulsims in the world yes but I'm talking about % that watch movies. I don't recall OS boxoffice ever emphasizing the power of Pakistan, Middle East, Somalia, etc markets. It's always China, SK, Latam, Europe, Oz which are decidedly very low in Muslim population. 

Point being, the more generic "one size fits all" a character (which most SH are) the bigger the global appeal for people can project whatever they want. The more culture specific a character (which Kamala Khan seems to be though, as I said, that's the part that can be dealt with on the show while more generic SH part is dominant in movies) the more limited its appeal. Especially with cultural appropriation policing that pretty much puts a stop to buying costumes and therefore enacting characters who are not generic. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

19 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Nope. Tony is generic. He isn't culture specific. Anyone can wear IM costume without being accused of cultural appropriation. I assure you that you cannot do that with Kamala's shalwar kameez suit. Someone is always going to screech that it's offensive if you aren't part of shalwar kameez culture. 

Like not 99.999% of the people. You are talking about the far, far left people who would also probably hate Marvel movies because they are capitalist propaganda. "Cultural appropriation policing" isn't widespread.  Also why are you equating to dressing up as a superhero the same as being able to relate to them? You think I can't relate to Wonder Woman because I can't dress up as her?

19 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't recall OS boxoffice ever emphasizing the power of Pakistan, Middle East, Somalia, etc markets. It's always China, SK, Latam, Europe, Oz which are decidedly very low in Muslim population. 

So? There are still millions of Muslims who watch these movies (there are millions in Europe and America too).

Nope. Tony is generic. He isn't culture specific.

Point being, the more generic "one size fits all
" a character 

You do realise that class and race separate people too right? Tony ain't generic. He's an upper class, white, genius billionaire and less than 1% of the world can relate to that. That's less than the amount of movie-going Muslims. Cap America is a patriotic hero who pretty much embodies American culture and history. No one outside of America can relate to that. But they do because that's how movies work. I don't see how white person = generic but a brown person = cultural specific.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just watched the SW part of Disney+

That's a good reminder about how long sometimes projects need till they get rolling is e.g. the way Ewan McGregor spoke about so long not being able to confirm that 'something' (series is not movie) is happening.

I am pretty sure the Disney+ thing was a very long time known internal project = we learned way later about than they did work on the preparation

They seemingly said about not only the Kenobi series ~ all scripts... are ready.

~ signs for lots of time too in my POV

Could get interesting...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Why does that sound like a massive smash, but She Hulk and Ms Marvel don’t? 

I’ve never even heard of Moon Night. 

Because he's like Batman. If anyone can do The Dark Knight justice it's Kevin Fegie.  1 billion grosser for sure.

• Like 1

By the way, did you folks see that Disney also announced a new animated Spider-Man television show yesterday?

https://deadline.com/2019/08/marvels-spidey-and-his-amazing-friends-marvel-preschool-spider-man-animated-series-disney-junior-sony-rift-feature-franchise-1202703333/

It's aimed super-young on Disney Junior, but still, it's a reminder that Spidey is owned by Disney, it's only the film rights they don't have.

I would say that the timing was intentional with the Sony thing, but obviously the timing was due to D23. And with the lead time needed in animation, it's not like they just started this yesterday.

Though it is funny that Miles and Gwen are the two animated co-stars with Peter.

spidey.png?w=302&h=337

• Like 1

The biggest shock to me was the Moon Knight announcement.  It's the only thing other than Blade that I care abiut with Marvel right now, since none of the movies announced for next phase interest me.  Still scared they are going to eff both up characters but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I see at least a trailer

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Like not 99.999% of the people. You are talking about the far, far left people who would also probably hate Marvel movies because they are capitalist propaganda. "Cultural appropriation policing" isn't widespread.  Also why are you equating to dressing up as a superhero the same as being able to relate to them? You think I can't relate to Wonder Woman because I can't dress up as her?

So? There are still millions of Muslims who watch these movies (there are millions in Europe and America too).

You do realise that class and race separate people too right? Tony ain't generic. He's an upper class, white, genius billionaire and less than 1% of the world can relate to that. That's less than the amount of movie-going Muslims. Cap America is a patriotic hero who pretty much embodies American culture and history. No one outside of America can relate to that. But they do because that's how movies work. I don't see how white person = generic but a brown person = cultural specific.

Unfortunately the white guy=generic thing is a common assumption in the USA. That's why diversity is always "forced" but an all white cast is "normal"

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Menor said:

Unfortunately the white guy=generic thing is a common assumption in the USA. That's why diversity is always "forced" but an all white cast is "normal"

White male is looked to as the "default".

35 minutes ago, cookie said:

28 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

Grace Randolph: “Sources” Kathleen Kennedy Fired!!

Lucasfilm Two Months Later:  Kathleen Kennedy extended three years!

I laughed aloud about the comments incl the sole 'sad' defender of her
She and that here

The toxic hive that is Geeks and Gamers?

I can even see totally in theory as the starters of that BS, never looked into who it really was.

The one thing I do not understand is, why certain people still think she is not biased? See the sole defender:

Wrong!! ...... She doesn’t spread negative which is why I love her, like finally someone who isn’t biased. ....

Wishful thinking or blinders or naivety or...?

• Like 1