RealLyre

Madame Web | February 14, 2024 | Sony Spider-Man Movie I SJ Clarkson to direct

2 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

They *should* have buried it.

Or really, stopped it before it started. The level of promotion is ultimately just almost the absolute bare minimum, which is what happens when a studio doesn't have confidence in their product.

Thats not true at all. Madame Web has had much more of a promotional campaign than the Bob Marley film, for example. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DInky said:

This is S.J. Clarkson's first movie but she's a a real TV veteran (and she's directed shows like the British Life on Mars which looked fantastic) so how is this movie so bad on a technical level?

You said it yourself. She is a television veteran, but this is the first feature film she ever directed. The sad part is, she tried to get in before by joining Star Trek 4 back in 2018, but that got shelved after pay disputes with the stars. I'll always wonder if this movie would've been better had Clarkson actually gotten to make Star Trek 4, and therefore score some serious experience in film.

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Thats not true at all. Madame Web has had much more of a promotional campaign than the Bob Marley film, for example. 

Im not sure how anyone can say this film or that film had a bigger promo campaign since we dont know but in the United States I've seen ads for Marley non stop for the past few weeks.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Putting aside TV spots, Bob Marley put out at least two trailers for the movie. Madame Web only had *one* trailer.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Im not sure how anyone can say this film or that film had a bigger promo campaign since we dont know but in the United States I've seen ads for Marley non stop for the past few weeks.

Yeah, aside from Dakota’s press tour there’s been nothing. I haven’t even seen a MW trailer in theaters, while Marley’s been in front of everything, including The Zone of Interest I saw last weekend. And One Love ads have been everywhere.

I'm starting to get the impression that Morbius, Kraven the Hunter, and this were conceived by Sony as The Producers-esque schemes so that they get to keep those Spider-Man rights for as long as they can.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

Just now, filmlover said:

I'm starting to get the impression that Morbius, Kraven the Hunter, and this were conceived by Sony as The Producers-esque schemes so that Sony gets to keep those Spider-Man rights for as long as they can.

Heard this sentiment on Campea's show.

At this point its obvious that Sony is either a) trolling or b) is confident that they found a niche for themselves where they hope to find more success after Venom showed them the way: funny-bad-superhero movies.

I personally thinks its a).

I'll say this. It's honestly funny how this was the female Spidey film to not get shelved versus ones that seemed to have more potential like that Silver & Black Black Cat and Silver Sable film or the Spider-Gwen animated spin-off (tho I feel some of that got absorbed into Across the Spider-Verse and possibly even Beyond). Whatever you think of Olivia Wilde's personal life, even her rumored female Spider project wouldn't have been this panned.

Dakota Johnson and Sydney Sweeney could have literally starred in Silver & Black instead of this and it would have done much better (especially since the director attached to that project, Gina Prince-Blythewood went on to COOK with The Old Guard and The Woman King). Or maybe Gina dodged a bullet considering what happened to Nia DaCosta and Chloe Zhao.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Who cares about reviews and numbers? Nope, I wanna see the CinemaScore for this beauty! lol

If this is worse than Morbius ( which got a C+ ), then things are looking scary for this one.

If this gets a C or somehow manages to Fant4stic itself to a C- it may not clear a $20M domestic opening weekend on the 6-day. I don't think it has that "something special" dog crap factor that Fant4stic had but you never know. 

Edited by Wombat

Sony is making these movies with no effort, they don't even give them a decent budget (the Venom movies cost $110 million each, Morbius had a $75m budget, and Madame Web also cost less than $100m), and are likely tricking movie stars into thinking they're entering the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which until recently was always lucrative and well received. I guess this is a good strategy for Sony because even Morbius may have been profitable with such a low budget.