Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Terminator 29, Joker 13.5, Mal2 13.1, Harriet 11.7, Addams 8.3

3 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

How can you be so certain? Netflix has more audience than HBO and not to forget this thing is massively trending currently. At this point I wouldn't be surprised

GoT was hugely pirated, so subscription base doesn't mean anything. You literally had billions of pirated copies of the seasons 7 and 8 episodes.

The Witcher lacks the intrigue and, frankly, appealing array of characters and cast that GoT had. Also remember that GoT grew into what it eventually became and then kept going, for a decade. Netflix will give The Witcher 4 seasons tops, due to costs. It won't have the staying power of GoT.

I'm looking forward to it personally, as I'm a fantasy fan, but another concern for its longevity is that, in this post-GoT world, if it's not a consistently great season, people will lose interest fast.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

How can you be so certain? Netflix has more audience than HBO and not to forget this thing is massively trending currently. At this point I wouldn't be surprised

Next GoT will be one of the Disney+ shows. It’s family friendly Prestige TV, I don’t know if that’s ever been done before

• Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1

9 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

GoT was hugely pirated, so subscription base doesn't mean anything. You literally had billions of pirated copies of the seasons 7 and 8 episodes.

The Witcher lacks the intrigue and, frankly, appealing array of characters and cast that GoT had. Also remember that GoT grew into what it eventually became and then kept going, for a decade. Netflix will give The Witcher 4 seasons tops, due to costs. It won't have the staying power of GoT.

I'm looking forward to it personally, as I'm a fantasy fan, but another concern for its longevity is that, in this post-GoT world, if it's not a consistently great season, people will lose interest fast.

Netflix's "dump everything at once" model also makes it more difficult to keep hype going for extended periods of time whereas GoT could keep building over the course of two-three months, especially in the last few seasons.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

What made GoT was due to cult following in the beginning but it seems like The Witcher has a bigger cult following when you compare them from the early stages and I would say the Witcher has already late-GoT run type of buzz currently. The Witcher will also experience piracy it's just the norm these days. 

@TMP

Name me one tv-show that is in the same caliber as the Witcher on Disney+? Zero is the answer. Don't say the Mandalorian that would be laughable. Disney+ has no project that can currently compete with Witcher. 

I would say Amazon has a big Tv-Show coming up in LOTR(Lord of the Rings)

Edited by Geo1500
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TMP said:

Next GoT will be one of the Disney+ shows. It’s family friendly Prestige TV, I don’t know if that’s ever been done before

The Witcher may be good or bad, but at least it will succeed or fail on its own terms. I have no faith in those corporate-mandated "franchise" Disney+ shows to have much long-term appeal beyond a fraction of the existing fan base (see: Agents of SHIELD's ratings). Showrunners will have to obey another layer of corporate overlords, on top of everything else TV shows had to deal with.

There won't a "next GoT" for many, many years; not even the GoT prequel(s) or Amazon's LOTR (again, the "franchise" disease).

3 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Name me one show that is in the caliber of Witcher on Disney+? Zero is the answer. Don't say the Mandalorian that would be laughable. Disney+ has no project that can currently combete with Witcher. 

Well their trailers have a similar number of views on YT. That is great news for The Witcher because Mandalorian was supposed to be the hit of the year, but where do you get this notion that buzz is on another level?

Edited by MrGlass2

1 minute ago, Geo1500 said:

What made GoT was due to cult following in the beginning but it seems like The Witcher has a bigger cult following when you compared them from the early stages and I would say the Witcher has already late-GoT run type of buzz currently. The Witcher will also experience piratacy it's just the norm these days. 

@TMP

Name me one show that is in the caliber of Witcher on Disney+? Zero is the answer. Don't say the Mandalorian that would be laughable. Disney+ has no project that can currently combete with Witcher. 

I would say Amazon has a big Tv-Show coming up in LOTR(Lord of the Rings)

High School Musical: The Musical: The Series

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

The Witcher may be good or bad, but at least it will succeed or fail on its own terms. I have no faith in those corporate-mandated "franchise" Disney+ shows to have much long-term appeal beyond a fraction of the existing fan base (see: Agents of SHIELD's ratings). Showrunners will have to obey another layer of corporate overlords, on top of everything else TV shows had to deal with.

There won't a "next GoT" for many, many years; not even the GoT prequel(s) or Amazon's LOTR (again, the "franchise" disease).

I’m not talking about quality; Mandalorian could very well be a disaster, we don’t know. I just think it’s interesting to see a studio pump so much money into a prestige TV project for the whole family, considering most are TV-MA; which could help it appeal to a large audience

25 minutes ago, TMP said:

quality wise maybe but in terms of popularity and reach no series will ever come close to GoT in the near future.