Eric the Ape

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Terminator 29, Joker 13.5, Mal2 13.1, Harriet 11.7, Addams 8.3

5 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

DaFat: 10.9

Mr. J: 5.9

Ms. J: 5.8

So around $29 million for T:DF. Makes you wonder how high it would've gone if not for T5 being so bad. This is also a major fail for tracking. Even the studio believed in the $40 million number if they were expecting high 30s to low 40s opening.

9 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Good I want Netflix to stay alive. I have 2 years of service prepaid.

I wouldn’t worry about Netflix. 

They’ll always have the most subscribers and these other new ones won’t be able to compete at the same numbers. 

Just now, TMP said:

The only real competition Netflix has is Disney+, and that’s a service made almost exclusively for kiddos. I think they’ll be fine.

Peacock (free) and HBO max (their catalog) are also going to be pretty big competitors though. No Friends and Office is going to especially destroy Netflix. What's Netflix gonna live on. Paramount and Original movies?

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Peacock (free) and HBO max (their catalog) are also going to be pretty big competitors though. No Friends and Office is going to especially destroy Netflix. What's Netflix gonna live on. Paramount and Original movies?

They're getting Seinfeld in 2021 and I assume a lot of Sony stuff since Crackle is on life support.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Issue with Max is that their biggest strength is HBO, and anyone who wanted HBO would probably have it by now

11 minutes ago, TMP said:

The only real competition Netflix has is Disney+, and that’s a service made almost exclusively for kiddos. I think they’ll be fine.

I think HBO Max has the potential to be very big.

Of course, it's all even more complicated at the international level, with the various licensing deals.

Netflix is still in a good position, I feel, due to investing so heavily in original content. They won't be hit too hard by not having access to certain libraries, if their subscription base is driven by a core of a dozen or so shows and 2-3 big movies per year. God knows there's barely anything good on the UK Netflix in terms of recent big Hollywood releases, and I mostly just watch original shows on there. Of course, the question is more about mid-to-long term strategies. Will they be fine once all subscription stagnate? What will happen in, I dunno , say 5 years, when the dust has settled and there's 3-4 large streaming platforms but little to no growth for any of them? Will budgeting be impacted, thus resulting in a decrease of volume/quality of programming? Would then the likes of WB and Disney, with their immense catalogs, have the edge? 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yikes, even at the top end, that’s less than half of the first film. 

Maleficent really haemorrhaged audience members. They can’t justify another sequel. 

I could see Disney making a third (and last one) for Disney+ if they can keep the budget at around 100M and if they can convince Angelina Jolie to do a straight-to-streaming movie

• Like 2

What Netflix needs to do is be ruthless. Sabotage and bully the weaker competitors and buy their content rights for pennies on the dollar. I'd prefer they stop skyrocketing prices as well.

I think Hulu premium will become a significant competitor for Netflix. People will bundle Disney +, Hulu and ESPN+. Cost should be like under $20 per month for all no commericals on the first 2 and ESPN+.

Apple TV+ imo will remain small, nimble and cheap. Netflix must continue to expand and push out quality movies and shows. Literally to survive long-term they must keep expanding their subscriber base. It's doable but difficult. Their stock valuation is delusional btw.

Netflix has a very significant international library. Lots of local shows, including a healthy stream of Netflix originals, their competitors don't come nowhere near that (HBO and Amazon have some deals with local partners in some markets, but nowhere near Netflix's footprint). That will make Netflix stickier ROW, imho. locally-produced TV is still the bread and butter in many places.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1

Excuse me for just barging in like this but I would like to go off-topic for a minute btw sorry not sorry for barging in.

:hahaha: 

The witcher is coming to Netflix super excited about that and do you think it can become bigger then GoT?

I am surprised by the ridiculous hype building up early on:bourne:

Aside from the jokes this thing seems to be trending everywhere and could perhaps become the next great megahit

Edited by Geo1500

6 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Netflix has a very significant international library. Lots of local shows, including a healthy stream of Netflix originals, their competitors don't come nowhere near that (HBO and Amazon have some deals with local partners in some markets, but nowhere near Netflix's footprint). That will make Netflix stickier ROW, imho. locally-produced TV is still the bread and butter in many places.

I agree. They will eventually start to lose domestic subscribers. International subscriber base is what matters.

7 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Nope

How can you be so certain? Netflix has more audience than HBO and not to forget this thing is massively trending currently. At this point I wouldn't be surprised

Edited by Geo1500