TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

6 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I do think they should have capped their ambitions. Expanding from three films a year in Phase 3 to four a year in Phase 4, while adding on numerous series every year, was primed to backfire creatively, which would eventually hurt the brand commercially.

Ehh I dunno. Unless Marvel totally transformers it and has multiple rottens consecutively I think they should still be okay financially. We're far from a Bumblebee situation there.

Edited by SpiderByte

There are plenty of stories to tell after Endgame. So it makes sense to continue. I also was excited by the idea for D+ series to expand the universe to get more stories. But the 2022 output seemed like no care was taking into it overall. Ms.Marvel and Moon Knight falling to that stupid 6-episode format. She-Hulk horrendous writing and CGI... It feels very half assed. Also the volume is clearly something that Marvel doesn´t know how to use properly.

3 movies. 1-2 show that someone else is overseeing. At max.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I have never gotten what people who wanted this wanted the studio to do after Endgame. Just shut down and not make movies anymore?

If I had a magic wand...

I think I'd have pretty much put all the characters (big, little, and in between) in end game out to retirement/hanging up the suit/rebuilding their personal lives, back home to their space worlds, or missing/dead, save Spidey (b/c he's Sony, and you can't stop them making movies).  Then, it would be "the world recovers, with supers having done their job."

Then, I'd have slowly only brought back those supers (and started new supers) that I wanted for the next Avengers cross over into the movies, starting the slow build to the next bad as I told a contained full movie story (like all those Phase 1 movies did).  And I'd have kept D+ focused on the 5 year gap, telling stories that were missing that folks may have liked (Black Widow could have become a series for this, as an example) but knowing those stories didn't matter in the next arc.

It would have probably sacrificed viewers from the get go, who didn't want to be there til "the craziness" happened (vs "the build").  But I think it would have made for a better "trilogy" build again, where you get 3 Avengers movies that become bigger and bigger spectacles, and audiences build and build (vs now when we may be in a "fade and fade away" situation)...

Again, I figure the 1st big team up one should have almost been a build to "Young Avengers" and something "street level accomplishable with just a little extra super juice" but I could have worked with anything.  

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Ehh I dunno. Unless Marvel totally transformers it and has multiple rottens consecutively I think they should still be okay financially. We're far from a Bumblebee situation there.

The problem is that by the time it is an actual problem, it will be too late to recover from.

And I do think Marvel's trend is already problematic.

10 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

None of these things mean critics didn't like the show

No it only means they forgot that they liked it once. Or that it aired at all. :hahaha:When a show with 98% (only 1% below Better Call Saul) cannot make Best of the Year it gotta be really forgettable. Remember, Wandavision (91%) actually made critics lists and industry nominaitons including in major categories. 

But since this is not a Marvel thread but just Quantumania, I'll drop it. Quantim 56% from 108 reviews now.

Even the RT blurbs from the most recent positive reviews are abysmal.

"a wild ride that will be more to some tastes than others."

"kind of middle of the road"

"I was slightly underwhelmed about things."

"starts out on a messy note"

"the stakes feel lackluster... trudges along at times"

"the film totally falls apart, crushed under the weight of being asked to do too much"

"the film falters"

"Quantumania doesn't escape feeling like a layover"

I think this % could settle in the mid 40s.

Edited by OncomingStorm93

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

can't wait to read the cope as people continue to dismiss marvel fatigue as being a real thing after this 

Critics fatigue? Box office fatigue? what are you referring to because phase 4 performed exactly like phase 1, 2 and the first half of phase 3 if you remove the China grosses. I know some people like to ignore NWH but it did make $1.9B in the peak of Omicron without China.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I have never gotten what people who wanted this wanted the studio to do after Endgame. Just shut down and not make movies anymore?

I mean...sure. Endgame ended things on a high note that made people happy and wrapped up all the heroes' story arcs in a compelling way. Taking a few years off to give people a breather and then excited and wistful for the characters and universe they loved isn't that big a problem. Every franchise has had to deal with the property they loved going on hiatus. Don't see a reason why Marvel has to. And like they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

And if you want to keep the people at Marvel Studios employed and actively working, then you can do these TV shows. Just have them be like the Netflix shows where they don't tie into the movies and are just fun side adventures. Agents of SHIELD was basically its own thing and it lasted seven seasons, so I think MCU fans would be fine with that. I don't think people would be upset at Loki going on some wacky adventures as a silly side project rather than tying into this Multiverse silliness.

• Like 9
  • Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Even the RT blurbs from the most recent positive reviews are abysmal.

"a wild ride that will be more to some tastes than others."

"kind of middle of the road"

"I was slightly underwhelmed about things."

"starts out on a messy note"

"the stakes feel lackluster... trudges along at times"

"the film totally falls apart, crushed under the weight of being asked to do too much"

"the film falters"

"Quantumania doesn't escape feeling like a layover"

I think this % could settle in the mid 40s.

A QUIET PLACE | 04.06.18 | Paramount | supernatural horror film - Page 5 -  Box Office Discussion - The Box Office Theory — Forums

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Make a hiatus to really build a new plan from scratch with well developed projects while giving time to people miss the brand

You know, what Star Wars did twice leading to huge succesful comebacks 

I don´t mind the fact they didn´t stop for a few years [even if it could be good], but triple the amount of projects right after it´s peak is absolutely delusional and screams ´´CEO decision´´ for quick money and boost on streams

What we´re seeng now is the brand paying for this stupid decisions, yeah all the ´´MCU is dying´´ trope is tired and exaggerated, but the fans also need to accept they do have a big problem to solve and they need to solve while keeping the wheel turning which is a extremelly hard task, so yeah, people will start to question things

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Can someone explain to me the phenomenon of hiring writers that have written underwhelming or panned stories?

Cheap to hire (studios love to save money on people and throw it on techs and one overpaid star) and zero leverage so they write whatever corporation orders them to write. Corporate puppets if you will. Same goes for showrunners without a resume (coughROPcough).

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

You know, what Star Wars did twice leading to huge succesful comebacks 

Lucasfilm didn't just stop making movies between that though, not remotely the same thing. What you're proposing would be Marvel Studios just shutting down entirely.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eric the Conqueror said:

And if you want to keep the people at Marvel Studios employed and actively working, then you can do these TV shows. Just have them be like the Netflix shows where they don't tie into the movies and are just fun side adventures. Agents of SHIELD was basically its own thing and it lasted seven seasons, so I think MCU fans would be fine with that. I don't think people would be upset at Loki going on some wacky adventures as a silly side project rather than tying into this Multiverse silliness.

This is... literally what Marvel did for the two years between Far From Home and Black Widow. Including the Loki part!

Edited by SpiderByte