TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

This is... literally what Marvel did between Far From Home and Black Widow.

black widow was set to come out in may 2020

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania?ref=hp

the mc score getting seriously bad, already below eternals

with such a strong concept I really did not expect this one to be the one

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

black widow was set to come out in may 2020

It was. But it didn't.

Either way like with Eternals and Iron Fist were going to get a wave of "what does a rotten score mean for Marvels future" and the answer is "basically going to continue on as originally planned" like it was for both of those.

Lurked without an account for a while.

Wanted to raise that all the discourse I see online about this film is about entire phases of the MCU but it’s more than that for me. Why is this an Ant Man film? These are grounded (to some degree) and skew to funny (AM2 I find extremely disappointing but that’s just a bad film) - instead we have Ant Man and Co. minus some characters from the other films heading off into a cgi world to fight battles and set up the main MCU villain.

There’s a reason Ant Man went the funny route. It’s a funny premise. They grounded it with a simple father/daughter relationship. Who greenlit this third films concept? I feel like they just ignored the series so far and basically treated it as a cookie cutter MCU character to fit into any story. That doesn’t work.

My expectation has always been this film does around the same as AM2, boosted by Kang but losing some Ant Man fans along the way which I would see as a loss to the series.

On phases;

I feel like the sticking people on a sound stage with blue screen has become the standard. Without any geometry on said sound stage, so everything looks flat and the actors look intensely bored (Thor 4 looked misersble). It’s the fault of how their VFX pipeline works, they need to move it away from preproduction and let directors play around a bit.

Theres too much MCU stuff so quality control is dropping and it’s much harder for them to respond to what the viewers like/dislike. 

MCU doesn’t really work without interpersonal relationships between films and there are literally none after they lost their original cast (mostly). This is going to be a problem imo.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

This is... literally what Marvel did for the two years between Far From Home and Black Widow. Including the Loki part!

Yeah. And I'm saying let it go on longer and just have the shows not be tied into the main story and saga. No movies at all for a hot minute.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania?ref=hp

the mc score getting seriously bad, already below eternals

with such a strong concept I really did not expect this one to be the one

Does anyone actually use metacritic for movies? They're mostly known for game reviews.

2 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

So what is the goal for this film?

$600M WW $280M DOM? 

Yeah that would be nice imo. Tho worried it might go lower. Hopefully OW can not lose to much steam since legs will be weak. If it can match Ant-Man 2 at 622M that would be perfect.

15 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The funniest reviews are the ones that say this is like the shitty Disney animated movie released a couple months ago that no one watched. It's just funny that that's one of the first things that came up in their minds.

I honestly think there’s a section of the influencers for these types of films who don’t know why they are popular but have to play to the crowd so get caught out when stuff like this happens.

14 minutes ago, TMP said:

ant-man and the wasp quantumania was made for the fans

Fans of what? The Ant-Man series which had been fairly self-contained and tonally unique from the rest of the MCU up to this point? Fans of the cgi-heavy MCU films? Fans of Paul Rudd's easygoing charm (which doesn't appear to be utilized much this time around)?