TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

29 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Also Kang Dynasty is 2.5 years away. Who expected here that Infinity War/Endgame combo would gross as much as they did at the end of 2015 (2.5 years from IW release). 2015 had AoU gross less than Avengers and the first Ant-Man movie, quite a downer year for MCU (review and BO wise).

True, I remember people in 2015 saying Avengers 3 would do 160/400.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YM! said:

Honestly, I think they’re rushing the Kang stuff and in trying to outdo Phase 3, they’ve made the committee criticism a lot more evident in hindsight. The standout this phase film wise was Wakanda Forever (because Coogler is easily the best director in the MCU against Gunn) and Shang Chi, and tv wise I dug Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk but the rest I liked but had flaws, very mediocre or in some cases bad. Phase 4 should’ve been a return to basics with SamCap making a new Avengers to fight against Masters of Evil and gone smaller in scale.

I'm watching She-Hulk now (alternating with Andor) - She-Hulk is mediocre at best.  Having watched a lot of the D+ shows before my one year hiatus, I'd put it above the Sam/Winter Soldier show and not much else (although I still have Moon Knight, Ms Marvel, and Hawkeye to go - spouse wants to watch Hawkeye with me which brought me to watching them out of order - and I wanted something "light" against Andor)...

But on a different problem for the MCU - my favorite 2 shows - Wanda and Loki - they proceeded to then ruin one character in one of the big 2022 movies while ignoring the character's existence in the other.

So, I don't think tv is building excitement.  If anything, what it's doing is setting audience expectations that the movies are now not meeting...and then confusing other audiences who don't watch that tv...

When it was all movies all the time, they built to that one big moment, even if it sometimes seemed a little scattered...and they definitely didn't completely change characters from movie to movie without showing the progression (hi Sharon)...

So, to bring this back to Ant Man - the Kang build in Loki may backfire in Ant Man.  Those who didn't watch Loki will be behind, those who did will expect a very particular Kang, and the needle will have to be threaded in a way that so far the 2022 movies that related heavily to D+ shows didn't do.

Edited by TwoMisfits

57 minutes ago, XXR M37's Club Is Dead said:

New trailer dropping Jan 9th during the College Football National Championship. 

Well I kinda got it right! Just said with NFL football and not college football.

Also the exact same number of days from release that we got the main trailer for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. Wonder if that will become a pattern now.

18 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

But Kang Dynasty isn't touching the heights of IW, if what i think the lineup will be.

Disney+ new Marvel banner is basically KD's cast. Just replace Natasha with Yelena, one of the BP with She-Hulk, add Spider-Man & you'll get the cast of KD.

54 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

What a fall for MCU. 

These are the same characters who got solo movies in phase 4 (Spidey, BP, Shang-Chi, BW, DS/Wanda, Thor) and will get solo movies in phase 5 (CM and CA). What exactly is your problem?

Edited by Factcheck
  • Like 3

I´m a bit worried about the overseas gross on this one. Ant-Man and The Wasp got 121M from China, which this one won´t have. Also I can´t imagine it getting anything close to the 40M Ant-Man and The Wasp got from South-Korea. Can this go sub 500M? Overseas gross have been going down for every MCU movie now since MoM. I´m hoping for 300M from DOM and Overseas for 600M

1 minute ago, thajdikt said:

I´m a bit worried about the overseas gross on this one. Ant-Man and The Wasp got 121M from China, which this one won´t have. Also I can´t imagine it getting anything close to the 40M Ant-Man and The Wasp got from South-Korea. Can this go sub 500M? Overseas gross have been going down for every MCU movie now since MoM. I´m hoping for 300M from DOM and Overseas for 600M

Could it go under $500M? Sure.

Do I think it will? No. 

My current expectation is $550-575M WW-C-R.

I think reviews for this will be much better than expected ...90+%. Hence, MCU crowd will get excited and get it to a 105+ opening. Wom will be surprisingly very good..will end with 280+ domestically. It also helps that it will be the first big movie since Avatar 2, so it might overperform in international markets barring few. I have a feeling it will somehow crack 650M WW without China and Russia

1 minute ago, marveldcfox said:

I think reviews for this will be much better than expected ...90+%. Hence, MCU crowd will get excited and get it to a 105+ opening. Wom will be surprisingly very good..will end with 280+ domestically. It also helps that it will be the first big movie since Avatar 2, so it might overperform in international markets barring few. I have a feeling it will somehow crack 650M WW without China and Russia

That would be insane. Hoping it gets there

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What would the hero line up be for the next Avengers films? 

Hopefully this is the appropriate place to ask this, since it’s the next upcoming MCU film. Sorry if it’s not. 

Could be a myriad of people really. Basically anyone we know is coming in Phase 4, 5 and 6. The problem is we just don't have a clue who will be involved and who will be conveniently absent. I assume the "main" heroes would be Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, Thor, Spider-Man, Shang Chi and Black Panther. All of the newer heroes would fill in spaces. 

• Thanks 1