TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

On 2/20/2023 at 5:03 PM, Mojoguy said:

Get real. I'll be the first person here to say it, Shang Chi won't be in any Avengers films. Marvel will turn SC into his own franchise like The Batman to make themselves feel better. Sorry, but one character isnt worth losing out on $100m-200m from one country.

China has a real weird hate boner for Shang Chi.

SOrt of late for making Shang Chi into a something outside the MCU with all the MCU tie ins in the original.

11 hours ago, thajdikt said:

He is in fact right, it has changed but that doesn´t excuse the weak performance by Ant-Man 3 which is solely because the movie is garbage. It would easily have gotten past the Ant-Man 2 with a average reception. 

The shock is that EC finally admitted the box office world has changed, and it won't be going back to the way it was before 2020.

FOr a lont time he was in denial about that.

Charmless and visually repugnant. The cast looked bored and over it, totally coasting. What's with all the Star Wars reject designs? Somehow I still feel completely lost with the whole multiverse storyline. Majors is a great actor and carries this but the mid-credits scene is EMBARASSING.

I've never felt this level of aggravation towards an MCU movie so it's probably the worst one yet. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I have never been full-blow Mr. MCU stan but this feels like the Meet the Spartans parody of a Marvel movie with bad, tone-destroying quips every five seconds. Joss Whedon may have been a piece of shit but at least he knew how to write these things.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2023 at 9:42 PM, John Marston said:

EmpireCity says worldwide box office has changed

Has it? My very infrequent attempts to get a handle on foreign markets really suggest they're not like the US. Europe's version of the MPA theme report shows static or growing box office admissions versus the US being on a 20 year admissions decline pre-pandemic. Sure, the box office admissions overall are below 2019's but Avatar 2's setting admissions records in many Europeans markets. Is there a US v. world divergence here?

On 2/20/2023 at 8:03 PM, Mojoguy said:

Get real. I'll be the first person here to say it, Shang Chi won't be in any Avengers films. Marvel will turn SC into his own franchise like The Batman to make themselves feel better. Sorry, but one character isnt worth losing out on $100m-200m from one country.

China has a real weird hate boner for Shang Chi.

LMAO with the director of Shang-Chi directing the next Avengers movie? Zero chance in hell. They can absolutely work something out.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

So now we're just pretending people didn't like She-Hulk and Shang-Chi? Really?

We're like a year out from people saying nobody actually liked No Way Home, I swear. Even for this board you guys are depressing.

Shang chi  nwh we're liked 

But she hulk was pretty divise at best  . It should not be in the same conversation with the ones mentioned above.

Just now, Liiviig 1998 said:

But she hulk was pretty divise at best  . It should not be in the same conversation with the ones mentioned above.

Only among the Quartering Nerdrotic and Critical Drinker crowd who are convinced women are "taking over Marvel" and that Marvels sidelining the male characters too much and that Brie Larson is somehow responsible for their parents divorce. The majority of audiences and critics enjoyed it a lot.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Shang chi  nwh we're liked 

She-Hulk was good and review bombed mainly by alt-right trolls. The majority of the general audience enjoyed. IMHO There's like far worse Disney+ MCU shows like Falcon or Loki.

Edited by YM!

On 2/23/2023 at 6:36 AM, Sckathian said:

If the worldwide box office has changed then the franchise will need to change with less content and cheaper movies. Hardly a win for fans.

Alternatively make films which have a global audience. 

100% disagree. Anything that leads to better content is a win for fans. Limiting the budget forces creators to be more careful with their decisions, focus on quality > quantity. When you have finite resources, which hasn't seemed to be the case with the MCU for the past 5 years, you have to actually get creative with how you use those resources.

33 minutes ago, YM! said:

She-Hulk was good and review bombed mainly by alt-right trolls. The majority of the general audience enjoyed. IMHO There's like far worse Disney+ MCU shows like Falcon or Loki.

She-Hulk had some really good qualities that it didn't lean enough into, and was far too scattershot in execution. Jameela Jamil was wasted in a mid-season arc. Daredevil was a fun but pointless diversion. The finale making fun of how the arcs weren't convening in a way that made sense was funny but isn't a substitute for arcs convening in a way that makes sense. Breaking the 4th wall is not itself an arc.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

She-Hulk had some really good qualities that it didn't lean enough into, and was far too scattershot in execution. Jameela Jamil was wasted in a mid-season arc. Daredevil was a fun but pointless diversion. The finale making fun of how the arcs weren't convening in a way that made sense was funny but isn't a substitute for arcs convening in a way that makes sense. Breaking the 4th wall is not itself an arc.

This is fair, would also like better law scenes as well. For what is was, I enjoyed it as an episode of the week type deal and enjoyed the world and characters a lot (I'm thoroughly excited to see more Jennifer in future mcu joints). The weakest part though like you said came to story.