CJohn

Weekend Estimates - THE HUNGER GAMES | 155M

Wow, 155 million OW... This is beyond crazy, and this is not even actuals. OMG! The movie exceeded the 150m that I threw out as a figure before midnights came out. I am beyond astonished. And to think that TDK's OW is now really in play? lol This is so fun to watch! :)The burning question now. Is this going to be like twillight and fall off a cliff and have bad legs, or is this going to be more like TDK and have legs?

It's legs will be closer to Twilight than TDK, no doubt.

155m OW with a pretty steep Sunday drop compared to the other monster OW performers. Yeah I know its March and films tend to fall a little more harshly but I mean this thing just made 51m on Saturday. There has to be some spillover business to help this thing level out.

155m OW with a pretty steep Sunday drop compared to the other monster OW performers. Yeah I know its March and films tend to fall a little more harshly but I mean this thing just made 51m on Saturday. There has to be some spillover business to help this thing level out.

30% is steep? How? They basically just gave it AI's Sunday drop.

30% is steep? How? They basically just gave it AI's Sunday drop.

Read the rest of the post. I said compared to the other huge OW performers, well except for the Twlight movies. And it's not uncommon for films of this size to overperform thier original projections. Shrek 2's original estimate was 104.3m and it jumped to 108m. SM3 was 148m and it went to 151m. And TDK was 155m and it jumped to 158.4m. A similar fate could be in store for THG.

I just can't get my head around this. The Hunger Games is the first film in a series, had no pre-fanbase except for book-readers, it's March, and this just had one of the most attended weekends on record.

This. This right here. I...I just...it's just amazing. I'm also concerned they are underestimating today's drop and TDK could go down. I mean it doesn't really matter as $155m in March for THG is more impressive anyway, but still.SM1 is still probably the greatest ow ever, as it destroyed the record at the time, but this is right up there as one of the best ever.

This. This right here. I...I just...it's just amazing. I'm also concerned they are underestimating today's drop and TDK could go down. I mean it doesn't really matter as $155m in March for THG is more impressive anyway, but still.SM1 is still probably the greatest ow ever, as it destroyed the record at the time, but this is right up there as one of the best ever.

That's what I'm saying. Shrek 2, SM3, and TDK were all underestimated by 3-4m on their OW. All 3 films did 50m+ adjusted on Saturday just like THG. It's possible THG enjoys a smilar fate. It wouldn't be wise to rule it out after everything it has done so far. Edited by blackspider

Yeah, its unreal. And the scary thing is, it seems to be snowballing. The more the media reports on this amazing box office performance, then even more people will be drawn to see it to see what's the fuss about. And it has not much competition in the weeks ahead. Some will decide to read the books first, and also get drawn in. Its almost like a self perpetuating cycle now. The hype is now feeding the book sales, which is in turn further fueling the movie interest, which then again feeds back the hype again. Have we reached the peak of this wave yet? No one knows...

Sunday is very hard to see...Films do not sellout on Sundays.They usually get very full shows like 60-95% full shows but they do not sell out.However I am seeing a few sellouts and many of the noon shows are well over 75%+ full.

Our first 3 shows selling out beg to differ.