TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

15 minutes ago, Nero said:

You do realise the main reason it performed that way bcoz of day n date streaming as well as COVID. If it was released in normal times. It would have done 500-600 M atleast. It has good reviews 

It wouldn't have. Good reviews won't move a needle if there's no interest. It didn't even do very well on Max, both WW1984 and Mortal Kombat performed much better there. In fact, Venom 2 was released next month and if we exclude China gross from the first one, it did nearly the same. So one way or another, Gunn's Squad was destined to flop.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like to think of a what if scenario in which covid never happens, no lock downs. I doubt much changes about the state of the DCEU, maybe it takes a little longer to die and the reboot looks a little different. Wonder Woman 1984 does make a lot of money, but it's a number like $700-750m, where they still feel ok with rebooting without moving on with a part 3, especially with the poor reception, kinda like ASM 2. The Suicide Squad probably does around double what it ended up doing, ig?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nero said:

You do realise the main reason it performed that way bcoz of day n date streaming as well as COVID. If it was released in normal times. It would have done 500-600 M atleast. It has good reviews 

BoP had good reviews too. While we’re at it, so did Shazam, which also had an A on Cinemascore. Reviews don’t immediately guarantee big returns. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

DC sequels

Wonder Woman to WW84 - 412 to 47
Suicide Squad to TSS - 325 to 56
Shazam to Shazam 2 - 140 to 58
Aquaman to Aquaman 2 - 335 to 124

Joker 2 underwhelming early sales.

The Batman 2:
lego batman GIF

Without COVID (just guessing)

WW to WW84 - 412 to 275

Suicide Squad to TSS - 325 to 140 (TSS would've flopped regardless of pandemic)

2 hours ago, TomThomas said:

It wouldn't have. Good reviews won't move a needle if there's no interest. It didn't even do very well on Max, both WW1984 and Mortal Kombat performed much better there. In fact, Venom 2 was released next month and if we exclude China gross from the first one, it did nearly the same. So one way or another, Gunn's Squad was destined to flop.

Exactly, idk why people can't accept that TSS was flopping anyway

WW84 would've been successful in normal times, though

Edited by HummingLemon496

33 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Without COVID (just guessing)

WW to WW84 - 412 to 275

Suicide Squad to TSS - 325 to 140 (TSS would've flopped regardless of pandemic)

I think without Covid, WW84 would have had a BvS scenario: Big opening weekend, but WOM would have cut off it's legs.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TomThomas said:

TSS performed very well on Max

From DH:

"Here’s some data we haven’t seen yet: The 17-day U.S. household viewership for Warner Bros movies released this year on HBO Max, with James Gunn‘s The Suicide Squad registering 4.7 million households through its first three weekends of release on the service.

According to Samba TV metrics, eyeballs for The Suicide Squad are the best among Warner Bros’ new DC movies this year, besting the 17-day U.S. household views of Warner Bros/DC’s Wonder Woman 1984 (3.9M U.S. households) and Zack Snyder’s Justice League (3.2M). The latter title wasn’t released day-and-date in theaters".

And it's a fantastic movie.

Edited by efialtes76
  • Thanks 2

TSS was an evident flop in normal circumstances or not. Maybe 500M? Don't know if that would be enough to break even, but it had a few markets with decent numbers like the UK [20M, which is almost the same as Black Widow and Shang Chi] especially considering that it was R.

But you need to be pretty ignorant to put WW84 in such lists. It would have been profitable at the very least with around 100M less than the first and that's being pessimistic.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, belblazer said:

TSS was an evident flop in normal circumstances or not. Maybe 500M? Don't know if that would be enough to break even, but it had a few markets with decent numbers like the UK [20M, which is almost the same as Black Widow and Shang Chi] especially considering that it was R.

But you need to be pretty ignorant to put WW84 in such lists. It would have been profitable at the very least with around 100M less than the first and that's being pessimistic.

Exactly my thoughts

I'll never forget how fast WW84 plummeted after the initial wave of reviews. I think it started near 90% and sunk to the 50% range. How often does that happen?

13 hours ago, dudalb said:

I think without Covid, WW84 would have had a BvS scenario: Big opening weekend, but WOM would have cut off it's legs.

I used to have this thought, but the recent Joker 2 tracking makes me think we're about to find out how WW84 would have performed in a normal world. That one should have opened big either way thanks to the first movie's goodwill, but tracking seems to indicate it'll open fairly low to begin with.

I'll also add that The Suicide Squad was doomed from the start no matter what. The first film was one of the most reviled blockbusters this side of Batman and Robin, and Birds of Prey was met with a collective shrug from society at large. It was also buried under 8 years' worth of DCEU baggage.

I'll end it there, because this is the Joker 2 thread and I don't want to derail it.

• Like 3