TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

20 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

My opinion, i can be wrong, they should have used Gaga with an original pop rock and more modern soundtrack (possibly with an original soundtrack). While jazz- Broadway etc..don't fit neither with cinecomic fans or pop music fans. 

Modern soundtrack wouldn't make any sense here, it's a period piece and characters sing their favourite tunes.

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

The hype is growing up

The majority of the album consists of re-recordings from the Great American Songbook, so it's unrealistic to expect major commercial success from individual tracks. It debuted with 7M streams on Spotify, whereas her last album with Tony Bennett, "Love for Sale", debuted with 1.3M.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

I was talking about how people here over estimated her appeal for a movie like this one. I'm in my late 20s and people my age remember only Poker face which came out when we were in school lol.

This is true. I've remember some people im this forum were saying Gaga was a big draw for Joker.

It doesn't seem to be the case.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

I was talking about how people here over estimated her appeal for a movie like this one. I'm in my late 20s and people my age remember only Poker face which came out when we were in school lol.

I’m in my late 20s and I remember Bad Romance and Born This Way being pretty big deals too. 

I am 28 years old.  When I was in middle school Lady Gaga was popular, but all my friends hated her (I just knew she was a singer with a funny name).  From 2015-2022 I made a few jokes about her when playing Gaga ball and only one time did one of the middle schoolers act like he had any idea who she was.

Then again I do not know how much middle school boys who love camping were in their target audience.

1 hour ago, Mad Max007 said:

No one in their 20s is even a fan of Gaga, her songs don't stand out. Her crowd is mostly 35 and up who still act like it's 2010. Same with Katy Perry lol.

Off-topic but the fall of Katy Perry has to be one of the most fascinating pop-culture moments in recent history. She went from worlds biggest pop star to irrelevant damn near overnight.

Also you’re wrong about Gaga. If she ever released anther serious big solo project it will do numbers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

Off-topic but the fall of Katy Perry has to be one of the most fascinating pop-culture moments in recent history. She went from worlds biggest pop star to irrelevant damn near overnight.

These pop girls have a shelf life. They are extremely lucky if they ~survive past 40 yo.

5 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I mean it's pretty obvious that the director didn't want to do a sequel but after WB threw a bunch of money at him, he just said "Lol. I'm making it a musical."

We should've seen that coming when his previous sequels were those asinine Hangover follow-ups tbh. Another movie obviously designed as a one-off, but money (and perhaps job security) talks.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I mean it's pretty obvious that the director didn't want to do a sequel but after WB threw a bunch of money at him, he just said "Lol. I'm making it a musical."

That’s what I’ve been saying these past several weeks. I know there were obviously whispers of a Joker sequel as far back as 2019, as evidenced by the date this thread was made, but it really seemed for a while like it wasn’t actually going to happen. Then a couple of months after the Discovery merger, in the midst of all the uncertainty about the future of the DCEU, a Joker sequel was suddenly announced? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

This might be the worst take I've heard on this forum. 

Talking from personal experience. It's still a more realistic take than "this film will do better numbers because of Gaga walkups!" even after poor reviews and pre-sales.

Edited by Mad Max007
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, AJG said:

Also you’re wrong about Gaga. If she ever released anther serious big solo project it will do numbers.

For sure, let the big solo project be out first and then we will talk.  Lana Del Rey was memed more than any artist from that era in the mid/late 2010s but her resurgence and staying relevant as she was in 2011 is impressive.

lady Gaga can still debut albums at #1 and She can make big tours. She's not a Katy Perry or a kinda of seasonal popstar went forgotten. For Bruce Springsteen It's not the 1984 anymore but still he makes albums always going to #1, makes huge tours etc. so he's still a big star even if not the biggest star of the year (no One can do that for 30 years and more).

Saying that this discussion always became a discussion about pop stars career. What has to do with the movie?.

The only thing we should discuss is if what they build for the movie was a good idea, including how Gaga is used.

Imo everything gives to people vibes of la la joker and a a star is born kinda of musical, which doesn't fit with Its potential audience.

If they would have build this like a sort of rock concert (with like 70s-80s rock inspired music) i think the idea of doing a joker musical would be accepted more. 

Todd Phillips and Joaquin Phoenix have very publicly said they had the concept of this musical thriller movie sequel and asked Gaga to come on board to realise it. I'm not sure you could ask for better casting for the role than Gaga, in terms of delivery and celebrity to gain attention for the project. Warner Bros put up $200m* for a musical sequel which they now largely downplay in TV spots and trailers. That's sorta the problem right there... 

As for the state of Lady Gaga's career, that Harlequin jazz covers album is hardly a good indicator of her success when she can command a $12m upfront salary for a film while having the biggest song in the world ("Die With A Smile") and an upcoming original music project set for release after Joker 2 drops.

*allegedly 

• Like 1