TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

Not only does it feel like there were unforeseen conceptual issues here, but the media buzz for this is just entirely absent compared to the original. Difficult to describe but the media has not treated this as some major tentpole at all. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Not only does it feel like there were unforeseen conceptual issues here, but the media buzz for this is just entirely absent compared to the original. Difficult to describe but the media has not treated this as some major tentpole at all. 

The controversy, regarding him as a representation of the loner incel(?), kept the movie in the headlines. 

12 minutes ago, ConnorFilm said:

Hope Gaga can recover from this because I do think she's actually a solid actress. I think this opening is due to a few things. Joker fans are turned off because it's a musical, the DC brand is in the absolute gutter and WB waited too long (5 years) to drop a sequel.

Deadpool got a sequel after 6 years and set the box office on fire two months ago. This is the standard gap now, even Sony known for shorter windows between sequels is taking its time with Spider-Man 4.

13 minutes ago, ConnorFilm said:

Hope Gaga can recover from this because I do think she's actually a solid actress. I think this opening is due to a few things. Joker fans are turned off because it's a musical, the DC brand is in the absolute gutter and WB waited too long (5 years) to drop a sequel.

She's unlikely to receive any of the blame for this tbh. If anyone will, it's likely to be Phoenix since it seems fashionable to dunk on him these days.

56 minutes ago, ConnorFilm said:

It will hurt her for sure. Whether it's irreparable remains to be seen. 

It doesn't help that music wise, she's stuck in this jazz phase where even when she releases a pop song, she scat sings it in an off-putting, affected vocal. Pop is about smooth, palatable vocals, not jazzy screams. 

So her career is in a weird place and it's mostly because of her own stubborn, stupid choices. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 2

12 minutes ago, Flopped said:

It will hurt her for sure. Whether it's irreparable remains to be seen. 

It doesn't help that music wise, she's stuck in this jazz phase where even when she releases a pop song, she scat sings it in an off-putting, affected vocal. Pop is about smooth, palatable vocals, not jazzy screams. 

So her career is in a weird place and it's mostly because of her own stubborn, stupid choices. 

whoopi-okay.gif

Edited by ConnorFilm
  • Like 1

Everyone talks if this kills Gaga acting career. 

I would like to remember this movie is still called Joker and there is a main actor payed 25M dollars plus of course other earning related to the vox office. And seems like this supposed A- list star can't  open a movie including his own blockbuster saga 😅....about gaga probably they will not build again musicals around her but i don't see why this should kill in general her career and why She shouldn't make any other kinda of movie..

saying that this acting career imo has been very overrated by some of her fans at some point after ASIB success were acting like She Is in competition with Emma Stone, Margt robbie etc..but i mean box office aside despite the success of ASIB doesn't seem to me she has tarantino, Scorsese, lanthimos, del toro, inarritu, gerwig and whatever you want asking for her.

Oh please random person let us now how you know more about singing techniques than the highly awarded artist who’s able to succesfully cross genres between pop, jazz, soul, rock, theatre etc. Sometimes you just dislike something, you can do that without acting like you’re a pro.

This movie really needs to get out so we can finally move on from this absurd discussions. 

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Not trying to defend this movie, $55~65M for this kind of movie is actually pretty good. The problem is WB give Todd $200M budget. That's why it's insane.

I can't really blame them, given the first movie was a billion dollar sensation and Warner needs all the hits they can get in order to pay off the massive debt AT&T saddled them with. They couldn't foresee the direction Philips went with in the end.

• Like 1

yes, Gaga is not jazz material and I really don't know how she managed to achieve:

1. Collaborated with jazz legend Tony Bennett multiple times and dropped two jazz albums.
  2. The first jazz album, "Cheek to Cheek," sold 1.3 million copies worldwide, won a Grammy, and came with a tour that had 36 shows and grossed $15 million.
  3. The second album, "Love for Sale," broke the record for the highest streaming debut for a jazz album, got an "A" from the great music critic Robert Christgau, scored six Grammy nominations (including Album of the Year and Record of the Year), and won Best Traditional Pop Album.
  4. Averaged 1.5 million per show for her "Jazz + Piano" residency in Vegas, which is still the highest average for a female residency.

Guess it’s just pure luck that she’s become one of the most critically acclaimed, respected, and commercially successful jazz singers of our time?😥

Edited by nydedan
  • Like 1

Stunning how the hype train was gaining momentum over months, only to completely fall off the cliff named Venice

Train Crash GIFs | Tenor

Haven't see an overnight disappearance of anticipation for a film at this level before. Closest is Eternals review drop but even that wasn't anywhere this extreme.

• Like 1

I think it’s actually a lot more simple. It’s people thinking:

”That Joker film didn’t need a sequel”. 

There was no cliffhanger, it didn’t feel like a franchise film. It’s different from all the others. It was more adult and drama.

• Like 5

It feels like Trailer #1 was maximum excitment for this, then Venice and Trailer #2 arrived and 🫠

Gaga will be fine from this, especially since reviews suggest she’s quite good and underused if anything. Phoenix has an up and down career in general and it seems he has bigger issues going forward in Hollywood than this bombing. Todd Phillips… maybe he could ask Gaga to call Bradley Cooper to sign onto Hangover 4?

Edited by Rusty