TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

i really appreciate Gaga, especially as person..I don't know she seems to me a good spirited person (at least for Hollywood standards 😅) so i don't want to hate on her with this analysis about her acting career, which i kinda already made here. I think Hollywood don't like her that much... a star is born was a success cause it's the perfect movie in which a popstar can work and she get the role of "an italian" on a ridley scott average movie (which i don't think in 2024 it's that kinda of a big thing) only cause after a star is born you get al least another "big role" but then what she got? Joker, another musical where they need the music star more than an actress and the way she was there felt so forced since the start. 3 movies in 6-7 years and two of them musicals where they need lady gaga.

Another rumour was they wanted her for The little mermaid  as ursula. So another musical, another "pop star" casting.

I don't think this movie will kill her career cause i don't think her career was already really going somewhere in the acting field. She can still have parts but what i read in that dailymail article (which is 90% fake of course) "she wants a role in Tarantino!" doesn't seem the right way to move on. She need to play safe in something for her audience, a commercial comedy and something like that and escape all this pression. 

Edited by vale9001

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/joker-folie-a-deux-bombs-what-went-wrong-todd-phillips-1236170946/

Good read.  Phillips wanted nothing to do with DC.  WB wanted him to film in London where it would cost 20% cheaper. Phillips said fuck you LA.  Phillips said no to test screening.

WB gave Todd Phillips full control and he gave them an epic bomb.

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/joker-folie-a-deux-bombs-what-went-wrong-todd-phillips-1236170946/

Good read.  Phillips wanted nothing to do with DC.  WB wanted him to film in London where it would cost 20% cheaper. Phillips said fuck you LA.  Phillips said no to test screening.

This shit is what happens when directors get final cut. I know people bitch about directors not getting complete control of their movies, but they aren't the ones putting up $200M to make a film.

This is a hard lesson for WB about rushing out a sequel with no planning just because a movie made a billion.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Todd Philips is such an alpha, King shit bullying a studio to your will. 

• Like 1

That article is an obvious hit piece from the trades sent out by WB to deflect blame. It's damage control at its finest. But it's still fascinating to read what went wrong.

We are witnessing another Heaven's Gate in terms of behind the scenes mayham for a flop.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round... Everyone else is scrambling to dodge the blame for this debacle and pin it squarely on Phillips. Any misgivings from the studio went ignored because Todd insisted and he'd made so much money for WB before, they couldn't say no...  And what favor did Bradley Cooper call in to get that "He wasn't a producer on this one and he has populist sensibilities!" digression (Where were they for Maestro?) thrown in there?

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

This shit is what happens when directors get final cut. I know people bitch about directors not getting complete control of their movies, but they aren't the ones putting up $200M to make a film.

This is a hard lesson for WB about rushing out a sequel with no planning just because a movie made a billion.

So studios should interfere or not. 

2 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

So studios should interfere or not. 

Studios should guide. Let the director and writers work, but step in and stop something really stupid like making a Joker a musical. Also where Joker would be filming should never had been up to up to Todd, especially if it would inflate the budget.

Couldn’t you just as easily make the same argument in the opposite direction? 

• Like 1

but they aren't the ones putting up $200M to make a film.

Who cares? It isn’t like Phillips is taking $200 mil made from someone’s hard work.

And no, this isn’t a Heavens Gate level flop lol

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Studios should guide. Let the director and writers work, but step in and stop something really stupid like making a Joker a musical. Also where Joker would be filming should never had been up to up to Todd, especially if it would inflate the budget.

Then they'll talk about interfering in the creative vision of the director.

3 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Then they'll talk about interfering in the creative vision of the director.

Any Director knows that's how it goes. That's the business. Todd Phillips situation is on the rare side, specifically for such a big studio production.

I thought they were gonna be leaving Phillips alone based on the damage control articles from yesterday but I guess they changed their mind or there's some internal strife about whether to blame him or not.

The studio is the one that wanted the sequel so badly in the first place that they were willing to rush forward with it without a solid plan of action or script that they had confidence in. This is what happens with that. Even if they had final cut the budget would've probably been even more money as they went back and forth with Phillips trying to get him to do reshoots and things like that until they could make the movie what they wanted. I don't like Phillips as a creative but he's one guy. They're the ones that greenlit the project and the funds, not him. 

Edited by wattage
  • Like 1