WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan and Eric's CONTROVERSIAL Predictions of 2020

August 7

The Empty Man: This is a hard one to pin down if only because there is little to point at in terms of potential quality. The director doesn’t have a Wikipedia page, the biggest actor in the movie is Stephen Root, and it’s based off a graphic novel I have never heard of. Umm...I’ll just spitball this and predict poor things, since the following weekend has higher profile horror options. 12/28 (2.33x)

Infinite: For what it’s worth, Mark Wahlberg has a fanbase, and I feel like Fuqua can do something cool here with the premise and in the visuals or action that will make people curious to check it out, at least on its opening weekend. 2 Guns did solid business back in the day, and I can see similar results here. 25/70 (2.8x)

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

August 14

Escape Room 2: The first Escape Room was a surprise success, with a decent opening, and surprisingly good legs. I was thinking of a higher opening, similar total from this, since I feel that Escape Room, both the movie and concept, are still popular. But having this on the same day as Malignant is really going to diminish audiences for both. One of them really needs to move to late September or something. 18/50 (2.78x)

Malignant: Before James Wan makes money from ocean to ocean, he squeezed one more horror film out. Sounds pretty interesting so far, and WB’s been able to juggle two horror films (Anabelle 2 and It) to great success. So long as the trailers get the money shots, this should do okay. 30/80 (2.67x)

Nobody: Cool, an action movie starring Bob Odenkirk, Connie Nielsen and Christopher Lloyd. The only real question mark here is it’s from the director of Hardcore Henry, so I don’t know if this is going to have his first person BS. Regardless...I’m just gonna spitball this one again. 12/33 (2.75x)

The One and Only Ivan: So this is basically Dumbo, but without the iconic IP attached to it. Even with Jolie as one of the voices, this won't even reach Pete's Dragon. At least it’ll do well on Disney+? 22/70 (3.18x)

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

28 minutes ago, Eric Laurence said:

About to pull up my August predix, and looking things over YIKES that month looks UG-UL-EE. September isn't any better btw

Feel like WB is again about to miss a trick like they did with Shazam last year - BoP should have followed the SS route and gone with August. Yes, there's something to be said about being first out the gate, Feb has proven able to support huge grosses and so on, but with such a dead month, I think even a bad movie would have done decent in August, given the brand recognition - the later date would have allowed for more marketing as well, as what we've had for the movie has been sub-par. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Feel like WB is again about to miss a trick like they did with Shazam last year - BoP should have followed the SS route and gone with August. Yes, there's something to be said about being first out the gate, Feb has proven able to support huge grosses and so on, but with such a dead month, I think even a bad movie would have done decent in August, given the brand recognition - the later date would have allowed for more marketing as well, as what we've had for the movie has been sub-par. 

February looks almost as dead as August to me. And WB wouldn't have done more marketing. The first trailer we got in October would have just been moved to April. Also literally no movie releasing in the next two months have been getting substantial marketing (they are getting even less than BoP) so it won't make a difference while a lot of blockbusters releasing in July will get a lot of marketing and that would have sucked out buzz from BoP.

Also, they should have moved Shazam to February and switched it around with The Lego Movie 2 (The Lego Movie 2 would have made the same amount regardless of when it released that year). 

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

February looks almost as dead as August to me. And WB wouldn't have done more marketing. The first trailer we got in October would have just been moved to April. Also literally no movie releasing in the next two months have been getting substantial marketing (they are getting even less than BoP) so it won't make a difference while a lot of blockbusters releasing in July will get a lot of marketing and that would have sucked out buzz from BoP.

Feb won't offer the kind of legs August could, even if it's a dead month overall. That's the issue. I also believe that, had it been an August release, the Oct teaser would have been out this month. It would also have played with WW84, and if that were to prove to be another well-received movie, playing well into July, it would have carried buzz forward for the immediate DC release.

Obviously, we'll see how the movie plays out, but I do think August would have been better.

August 21

Bill & Ted Face the Music: Excellent! *guitar riff* Bill and Ted return in another adventure, and this should be an okay way to end the summer. Keanu Reeves will probably still stay as America’s Sweetheart, and the director has done good stuff before. I was going to put this at about Dumb and Dumber To, but...fuck it, this month is gonna be awful. Might as well give it triple digits just to be nice. 38/100 (2.63x)

Fred Hampton Project: A Black Panther biopic produced by Ryan Coogler and starring Daniel Kaluuya sounds like it has good potential, both in quality and in box office. Queen and Slim is looking to finish at about 40M, and I think that sounds about right here, and would be a great success. 10/40 (4x)

Let Him Go: Wow, everybody really wants that Frozen pie. :sparta:  Okay, but seriously, it’s another August movie I don’t know what to think. This looks to be more dramatic and thriller-like, which is a pretty big jump from a director whose previous work was the Selena Gomez vehicle Monte Carlo. We’ll see if he can pull it off, but I’m not holding my breath, especially when there are buzzier options, even in an August as dead as this. 8/20 (2.5x)

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

August 28

The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard: The first Hitman’s Bodyguard was a solid success, and it’s continued to play on HBO for a couple years to help keep the property alive. And obviously this isn’t having the same second wind as John Wick, but I think there’s enough people who like it and would be interested in another Reynolds/SLJ adventure, so let’s just give this a decent-sized increase. 27/85 (3.15x)

Spell: It’s a horror movie from a director best known for The House at the End of the Street remake and episodes of random TV shows. LOL who cares? 5/13 (2.6x)

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

18 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Wow, Jesus. The biggest “cinematic” event of August/September will be Falcon and the Winter Solider. 

C’mon now. It has to gross money to do that.

I think Mitchells vs Machines could breakout. Same minds behind Spider Verse, Gravity Falls, and Lego, lack of family competition since Soul cause Minions 2 ceiling is Ice Age 3 numbers, weak July/August/September and different style of animation could give it an edge over other recent fall animations.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

so 2020 kind of looks disappointing. I think Eternals may very well do captain marvel level moneys. Black widow too possibly.

Hope BOP and Wonder Woman do as well. 

Bond should do great. Im definitely expecting Ghostbusters to underperform. 

13 minutes ago, jking123 said:

so 2020 kind of looks disappointing. I think Eternals may very well do captain marvel level moneys. Black widow too possibly.

Hope BOP and Wonder Woman do as well. 

Bond should do great. Im definitely expecting Ghostbusters to underperform. 

Seriously, the studios could have done something special with a down Disney year but it seems like they are only bidding time. 

September 4

Monster Hunter: Paul W. S. Anderson fucked up Resident Evil six times, so might as well fuck up another Capcom franchise! I’ve never played the games, but looking at the premise and first images, this seems like something that will piss off fans, which is never a good thing, and I doubt it will appeal to anyone else. The last Resident Evil movie barely got over 25M, so let’s just put that lower. 8/10/20 (2.5x, 2x)

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

September 11

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It: After solid initial success, The Conjuring Universe has seen some missteps. The Nun was a hit, but a critical dud. La Llorona was despised and ignored. Annabelle Comes Home brought back the Warrens, and it still became the lowest-grossing film in the franchise. What exactly is the hook for this one? Getting the La Llorona guy doesn’t help this movie’s case either. I just don’t see this one capturing the same success as the other post-Labor Day horrors, but the name brand should be enough for it to do...okay. 30/75 (2.5x)

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1