WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan and Eric's CONTROVERSIAL Predictions of 2020

June 5

Wonder Woman 1984: I AM PREDICTING AN INCREASE FOR THIS; PUT YOUR PITCHFORKS DOWN. With that out of the way, I must say WW1984 looks like a good improvement over the first film. Bringing back Steve Trevor is dumb (as much as I love Chris Pine), but Kristen Wiig as a villain? Yaaaaaaaas. I’m not going crazy with my prediction here and expect it to stay pretty close to the first’s total. It reminds me a lot of Frozen II where significant increases from the first were expected (25%+) because it was a surprise WOM hit when it’s only increasing about 12-15%. That sounds about right here. 140/450 (3.21x)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3

June 13

Candyman: Do not doubt the power of Jordan Peele. Even though he is only a writer and producer on this one, his name is going to be plastered all over the film’s marketing. The biggest advantages this has are a weak summer for horror and a weak month for releases in general. The only other horror films this summer are Saw (which will be dead by the time this releases), a new Purge in July, and Escape Room 2 in mid-August. None of those will be unique, and despite being a remaking, Candyman offers a unique premise in modern horror along with a passionate fanbase from the original. It has the makings of a perfect horror hit, and considering it has the weekend to itself, it’ll be overloaded with box office sweets. 45/120 (2.67x)

• Like 5
  • Astonished 2

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It reminds me a lot of Frozen II where significant increases from the first were expected (25%+) because it was a surprise WOM hit when it’s only increasing about 12-15%

Frozen is increasing 20-25+% or so 🤔

Edited by Arendelle Legion

June 19

Soul: ohhhhhhhh dear. Inside Out fucked with my emotions; now I have to deal with my SELF-WORTH? Pixar is really tapping into the souls of everyone here. This has all the makings of a surprise hit. Audiences of all ages loved Inside Out, and Soul looks like that on steroids. Social media buzz is already really strong, and with only one other animated movie releasing this summer (which uh…. :sparta: ), it is going to have a bountiful summer. I don’t want to get overboard with my prediction, but I really think this will be one of the most insane runs of the year.  130/520 (4x)

Judd Apatow/Pete Davidson Comedy: I'm really looking forward to this because Judd Apatow fascinates me. There's not much to predict here without a trailer, but it seems like it'll be one of his more dramatic films given it's dealing with Pete Davidson's life. It'll do well probably. 20/70 (3.5x)

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 9

June 25

In the Heights: OK I AM ALSO PREDICTING A GOOD TOTAL FOR THIS. CALM THE FUCK DOWN. In the Heights is a musical that’s gained a lot of popularity thanks to Hamilton. I’m not going overboard with my prediction just because this is a Lin Manuel Miranda musical, but this is a great musical to release in the summer. It’ll have a good opening with very strong legs. 35/150 (4.3x)

Top Gun: Maverick: Paramount read us talk about the Cruise Missile so much that they are stretching the definition now! I honestly have no clue how this will fare. There have been very few movies to imitate Top Gun in modern cinema, so that alone gives this a unique position on the market. Joseph Kosinski is a solid director, and the stunts in the trailer look fantastic. I’m confident this will be entertaining, but I’m not confident in how high this can go. If this really strikes a chord with older audiences, a gigantic total is possible, but I’ll stay in the range of the last two MI films. 60/210 (3.5x)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Mulan is gonna do Dumbo numbers. Nobody will give a shit about it. The elements people have nostalgia about it are nowhere to be seen. 

Ton Gun is gonna open with mid 20s.

I agree with half of this. I agree with all of this if you are talking about Top Gun's OD :thinking: 

11 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Mulan is gonna do Dumbo numbers. Nobody will give a shit about it. The elements people have nostalgia about it are nowhere to be seen. 

Ton Gun is gonna open with mid 20s.

So we agree on the latter

22 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Soul: ohhhhhhhh dear. Inside Out fucked with my emotions; now I have to deal with my SELF-WORTH? Pixar is really tapping into the souls of everyone here. This has all the makings of a surprise hit. Audiences of all ages loved Inside Out, and Soul looks like that on steroids. Social media buzz is already really strong, and with only one other animated movie releasing this summer (which uh…. :sparta: ), it is going to have a bountiful summer. I don’t want to get overboard with my prediction, but I really think this will be one of the most insane runs of the year.  130/520 (4x)

This is CAYOM levels of absurd. I can say that cause a Pete Docter film there did about the same.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Haha 1