WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan and Eric's CONTROVERSIAL Predictions of 2020

May 8

Covers: This is too vague of a premise to predict, and given it’s Focus, who knows if it will even go wide. No prediction

Greyhound: Sony was supposed to release this in March 2019 but delayed it 14 months. That’s uh…. Notgreatbob.gif! Still, there is some appeal to a Tom Hanks-led drama. Inferno with better legs is probably a good comparison. 15/45 (3x)

Legally Blonde 3: This hasn’t even entered production yet ffs. Whenever this releases, I think it can limp over 100M, but I refuse to predict something that obviously isn’t releasing on time. No prediction

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

May 15

Scoob!: This looks like a good nostalgic trip. The trailer was very popular when it dropped online and is indicating older appeal. Of course, older audiences may not care by the time May rolls around, but I’ll remain optimistic. However, I think this and SpongeBob releasing within a week of each other will ultimately hurt both movies. 50/180 (3.6x)

Saw: Never doubt the power of Jigsaw. Chris Rock is an interesting choice to tackle this, and that alone gives me confidence in its potential. That said, this has been a very frontloaded franchise for a while, and I highly doubt that changes with this reboot. 25/60 (2.4x)

The Woman in the Window: AMY ADAMS IS A QUEEN AND DESERVES ALL THE GOOD FILMS! Too bad this probably won’t be good based on the delays it’s had. I’m still gonna see it tho, and so will audiences. The book is a bestseller, and a prestige thriller for this time of year is good counterprogramming. Can Amy just get her Oscar already plz? 20/55 (2.75x)

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1

May 22

Fast and Furious 9: Listen, if the family isn’t going to space this time, this film is USELESS. I’m not convinced it’s keeping this date either because the franchise typically starts marketing early. Hobbs and Shaw got its first trailer in January 7 months before release. Fast 9 is less than 5 months away and still doesn’t have a trailer. Right now, I’m expecting a total around Hobbs and Shaw. The franchise is losing gas and needs something invigorating soon. 60/75/160 (2.67x from 3 day/2.13x from 4 day)

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run: Damn so they’re really remaking Gary Come Home like that? Smh. It looks better than Sponge out of Water at least, and a fully 3D animated SpongeBob movie is unique enough. As I said in the last post, this and Scoob will cannibalize each other, but I think it can hit 100M. 35/40/140 (4x from 3 day/3.5x from 4 day)

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1

I think Scoob might be a surprise hit in May, I know YouTube views aren't everything but there's certainly interest in this in a way there wasn't for other non Lego WAG films and it is one of Warner Bros' biggest properties, you can bet they'll be marketing this like crazy. 

June 5

Wonder Woman 1984: Cue that one guitar sample (Fuck WB for not putting it in the trailer btw)! Wonder Woman was a smash success when it first came out, with a great opening and legs for days. The trailer looks to continue with all the great stuff that the first movie had, while also bringing in a fun ‘80s setting and wild action setpieces. With how much people loved the first film, this already has a large established audience, and reruns on TV have helped keep the movie alive. I feel confident Patty Jenkins has something special up her sleeve that will make people love this one just as much, if not more. And just to spoil things early, I think this will be the #1 movie of the year. So to all the people who do nothing but complain about Disney, at least you’re getting something. Ride that lightning baby! 155/475 (3.06x)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 4
  • Disbelief 1

June 12

Candyman: This is one of the more interesting films this year box office wise. Jordan Peele’s already had great success as a director, but this is his first major role as a producer on a film he didn’t make. (I know he produced BlacKkKlansman, but his name wasn't really a focal point in the advertising) I’ll admit I know very little about Candyman, and I don’t really see it being discussed outside of the horror community, so I have doubts on any GA appeal. But it’ll probably be cheap enough and get enough conversation amongst horror fan communities to help put Monkeypaw on the right track when it comes to their productions. 13/32 (2.46x)

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

4 hours ago, Eric Laurence said:

June 12

Candyman: This is one of the more interesting films this year box office wise. Jordan Peele’s already had great success as a director, but this is his first major role as a producer on a film he didn’t make. (I know he produced BlacKkKlansman, but his name wasn't really a focal point in the advertising) I’ll admit I know very little about Candyman, and I don’t really see it being discussed outside of the horror community, so I have doubts on any GA appeal. But it’ll probably be cheap enough and get enough conversation amongst horror fan communities to help put Monkeypaw on the right track when it comes to their productions. 13/32 (2.46x)

Blumhouse didn’t have a success with their Black Christmas remake so could that contribute to this? 

On 12/29/2019 at 9:43 AM, WrathOfHan said:

May 1

Black Widow: And the award for the most average CBM trailer goes to… Black Widow! Prior to the trailer, I was feeling very high on this film’s chances. Black Widow’s death is one of the most memorable parts of Endgame, and people have been asking for her own film for a while. However, the film looks pretty routine and dull. Being the first MCU product since Far from Home will help it a lot, but I don’t know if it can hit 400M. A total in the low 300s feels right,  especially as competition ramps up later in its run. 115/320 (2.78x)

Will she be naked in it? If so $160 OW/$455 million 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 4

June 19

Pete Davidson Comedy: After breaking up with Ariana, Pete Davidson’s celebrity status has gone down quite a bit. But Apatow’s still a savvy director who knows how to boost an actor’s career. Considering comedies are dead, I doubt this will even get close to Trainwreck. But I guess as long as the laughs deliver, this should do okay and maybe help Davidson get another acting gig before 2icide Squad drops next year. 20/70 (3.5x)

Soul: Pete Docter is back with a new existential adventure that will make grown adults cry, and it’s going to be a real stunner next year. Viewership for the teaser is on par with the recent trailer for Trolls and Spongebob, which is great for a completely original film like this. And outside of that, this looks to have all the Pixar goods Fun visuals, a creative world, mature themes, the whole kibosh. And with the great Pete Docter on board, we should hopefully expect amazing WOM to boot. Minions will be a bit of a bump (though not that much. More on that tomorrow), but I think it should still at least be in the top three of the summer. And while what I’m saying seems very unrealistic...well, this is the controversial predictions thread. 107/400 (3.74x)

• Astonished 4

June 26

In the Heights: Lin-Manuel Miranda had already graced his artistic excellence on Broadway and at Disney. But now, he’s here with the redeemed Jon Chu with the film adaptation of the show that got his name on the map. Lin’s name is still big, and the trailer promises plenty of amazing music and dancing that will excite a lot of people. In fact, exciting a lot of people. There already seems to be a huge amount of excitement going off the trailer, and this hype seems like something that could continue. The rest of the film honestly looks like an effective crowdpleaser too. And with this basically being the only major non-superhero release this summer that’s really targeting adult women, this should be another notch in both Lin and Chu’s film careers. And you know what, let's just say this is gonna have legs for days too. I'll be controversial I guess. 50/190 (3.8x)

Top Gun: Maverick: Admittedly, I don’t think it was the best idea to do a year-long marketing campaign for this, and this probably would have been a bigger deal a few years ago. But while there are a lot who are pessimistic on the film, I think this could surprise. Top Gun is still an iconic film that was a box office monster back in the day (adjusts to over 433M today), and I’d argue has a lot of nostalgia towards Gen Xers and boomers. And unlike, say, Terminator or Charlie’s Angels, this is the first time we’re seeing anything Top Gun related since the original film, so it’s not like the property is oversaturated or full of mediocre sequels or remakes. If the Cruise Missile really delivers on the flight scenes, even better.

In a way, the only real drawback is just coming out on the heels of Wonder Woman and Soul. I mean I’m being very optimistic towards both, especially Soul. But if you took out one of the two, I would be more confident in something like 180M, especially with how mediocre the first half of July looks (again, we’ll get to that tomorrow). But at this point, I'm sure Paramount will take anything. 45/140 (3.11x)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Eric Laurence said:

June 26

In the Heights: Lin-Manuel Miranda had already graced his artistic excellence on Broadway and at Disney. But now, he’s here with the redeemed Jon Chu with the film adaptation of the show that got his name on the map. Lin’s name is still big, and the trailer promises plenty of amazing music and dancing that will excite a lot of people. In fact, exciting a lot of people. There already seems to be a huge amount of excitement going off the trailer, and this hype seems like something that could continue. The rest of the film honestly looks like an effective crowdpleaser too. And with this basically being the only major non-superhero release this summer that’s really targeting adult women, this should be another notch in both Lin and Chu’s film careers. And you know what, let's just say this is gonna have legs for days too. I'll be controversial I guess. 50/190 (3.8x)

Top Gun: Maverick: Admittedly, I don’t think it was the best idea to do a year-long marketing campaign for this, and this probably would have been a bigger deal a few years ago. But while there are a lot who are pessimistic on the film, I think this could surprise. Top Gun is still an iconic film that was a box office monster back in the day (adjusts to over 433M today), and I’d argue has a lot of nostalgia towards Gen Xers and boomers. And unlike, say, Terminator or Charlie’s Angels, this is the first time we’re seeing anything Top Gun related since the original film, so it’s not like the property is oversaturated or full of mediocre sequels or remakes. If the Cruise Missile really delivers on the flight scenes, even better.

In a way, the only real drawback is just coming out on the heels of Wonder Woman and Soul. I mean I’m being very optimistic towards both, especially Soul. But if you took out one of the two, I would be more confident in something like 180M, especially with how mediocre the first half of July looks (again, we’ll get to that tomorrow). But at this point, I'm sure Paramount will take anything. 45/140 (3.11x)

What a weekend this would be if you were close with your predicts!

Soul 2nd weekend 50+

In the Heights OW 50

Top Gun Maverick OW 45

Wonder Woman 4th weekend 20