WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan and Eric's CONTROVERSIAL Predictions of 2020

Good predicts, I'm really looking forward to this :)

I honestly hope something can break out, or else January looks dire. Jumanji ain't gonna have the legs the first one did, there's no Greatest Showman this time around to have crazy holds to look forward to. Hoping for 1917 or Dolittle (ugh) over 150M, or for something unexpected to do 100M. 

• Like 1

February 7

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn): I really have no clue where this could land. Harley Quinn is a fan favorite character, and people love Margot Robbie in the role despite the abomination known as Suicide Squad, which brings me to my next point. Audiences despised Suicide Squad. It didn’t get as bad of legs as BVS thanks to its August release date but has has definitely tainted this brand like BVS did to Justice League. On the bright side, this has an entirely new crew and looks fairly different than SS. A lot of this is going to come down to reviews and pre-release marketing. I think it will do slightly better than Shazam based on current hype levels. 55/150 (2.72x)

• Like 6
  • Astonished 1

February 14

Fantasy Island: Talk about a random property to revive and genre-bend. I doubt any fans of the originals 70s series will show up, so don’t expect seniors to flock to the new Blumhouse joint! This is Blumhouse’s first film distributed under Sony, and because this is a Sony IP, it wasn’t passed on by Universal as part of their first look deal. Jason Blum was attracted to this and put the Blumhouse name on it, so there is already confidence in it from the producing side. The trailer…. is pretty campy! 7 Rings is a great fit for it though, and I love hearing it slowed down (I want it.. I got it… I want it… I got it…). It’s been generating solid buzz online, and it looks like a good date movie for Valentines Day. If reviews are good, I could see it breaking out. Imma wait on that call though. 25/65 (2.6x)

The Photograph: This looks like the perfect Valentines Day hit. Lakeith Stanfield and Issa Rae are two rising stars, and the trailer looks endearing enough. The trailer has a decent amount of views for the genre, and once the holiday gets closer, it will be perfect marketing. My only concern is how wide this will go. After Universal gave Queen and Slim a pretty small release that garnered high PTAs, I am curious if they will take the same approach with The Photograph. I think it will manage a 2,500+ TC, but I would not be surprised if it was in 2,000 or less. Either way, this will deliver strong numbers from metro areas with a chance at wide appeal across the country. 20/55 (2.75x)

Sonic the Hedgehog: If your partner isn’t hyped for this, it’s time to dump their ass. Sonic the Hedgehog will singlehandedly save cinema. Even when Sonic looked like trash, the movie itself looked fun, and when Paramount caved in and improved the Sonic design, everyone fell in love with the trailer. Sonic is a gaming icon, and as long as the movie provides a fun time, it will do very well. Detective Pikachu disappointed a lot of people this year both box office wise and quality wise, but now it’s time for Sanik Sped. 50/150 (3x)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 4

February 7

Birds of Prey (and the Long-Ass Subtitle): If you talked to me a year ago, I would have said this was an easy candidate for a 100M OW. Harley Quinn and an all-female villainess team? Just seems like something that's easy to sell. But now, the first trailer kind of felt like it came and went, and even though it is Christmas, I feel like buzz and interest for this should be a lot more prominent than it feels right now. Regardless, Harley still has her fans, there’s little in terms of direct competition, and this is basically the first event film since Star Wars. With President’s Day the following weekend, I think that’s enough to still put it at a healthy gross. Though it wouldn’t surprise me if the movie delivered boffo numbers. 65/170 (2.61x)

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

I'm really hoping for some surprises this Jan/Feb season. Some very interesting movies are coming out. The Grudge, expansions from Just Mercy and 1917... Yeah. It doesn't feel like your typical Jan/Feb, at least not to me. I mean, I know people throw random things in these months, but sometimes those random things are surprisingly great.

• Like 1

February 14

Fantasy Island: I WANT IT. I GOT IT. Remaking the cheesy 70s television show into a Blumhouse joint will definitely get some people turning their heads. But while the trailer is fun and cheesy enough, it’ll probably do typical Blumhouse fare, though it should be a good option for teens and couples this Valentine’s Day. Better than Happy Death Day 2U at least. 18/23/40 (2.22x, 1.74x)

The Photograph: This should be a modest success too. Will Packer definitely has an audience, there’s a solid cast, and it seems romantic enough to get that Valentine’s money. 25/30/70 (2.8x, 2.33x)

Sonic the Hedgehog: The homie Han and I are both on to something here. People are trashing and making fun of this film, but this has a great shot to surprise. The film’s been talked about for more than a year, and I think everybody knows what the movie is all about at this point. And while there are plenty of people still unimpressed and snicker at the idea of this being a hit, I think this has a shot to surprise people. The film’s been in the conversation since the initial teaser poster, and the redesign has helped make the film a discussion point. The new look is making a lot of fans and people happy, and I think the whole “listening to fans” thing is strangely enough a hook. It’s the first time in a long time a studio is listening to fans, and I think that will make people curious. With little major competition when it comes to families until Onward, this could make a pretty penny and possibly even above Pikachu, unless reviews are godawful (which is not impossible! We know how bad Sonic can be sometimes). 50/57/160 (3.2x, 2.81x)

• Like 2
  • Astonished 4

I'm unsure on 1917 as Jat just released the opening day numbers and did $251,000 in 11 theaters which works out roughly as $22,818 PTA. Right now, $20-25m OW. 

Just Mercy I could see overperform a little, it also had a good day of $81,072 with a $20,268 PTA

February 21

Brahms - The Boy II: Simply put...who asked for this? Nobody cared about the first Boy movie back in 2016, so what makes STX think adding Katie Holmes will be any better? They really need help, don't they? 5/10 (2x)

The Call of the Wild: Director Chris Sanders, known for Lilo & Stitch and How to Train Your Dragon, is definitely a talent, and I’m sure this movie’s really good. But the marketing is not doing this any favors, as the only thing people are talking about is the off-putting CGI dog. And with Sonic and Onward both having way more buzz with families, this feels destined to be lost in the shuffle. Ah well, should still get an audience when it hits Disney+ or HBO or wherever it's streaming. 17/50 (2.94x)

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

February 28

The Invisible Man: Like Birds of Prey, I feel like this should have more buzz to it when looking at it on paper. It’s a Blumhouse adaptation on one of the famous Universal Monsters That seems like something that would grab people’s attention, at least online. But unlike Birds, there doesn’t seem to be much discussion at all, and while this movie looks good, I just don't think people are really hooked on it so far. March is pretty light on adult fare, so it could still have good legs and there’s plenty of time for the marketing to turn around. But I’m erring on the negative side for now, especially after how mediocre 2019 was for Blumhouse. 10/28 (2.8x)

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

And that's it for me when it comes to February. I'm definitely more optimistic compared to January, but BoP and Sonic aside, not that much.

March will come tomorrow. Which Disney movie will be bigger? Can the CBM save Vinny D's film career? Will the I Can Only Imagine boys deliver another Christian musical smash? Is Emily Blunt still an iconic queen? (okay, we all know the answer is yes) All those questions and more will be answered tomorrow

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

35 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Any chance for a reflection of your 2019 predictions too?

i found the ones they nailed

On 12/25/2018 at 5:21 PM, WrathOfHan said:

The Upside: 10/40 (4x)

On 12/26/2018 at 12:13 AM, WrathOfHan said:

Glass:  75/240 (3.2x)

On 12/28/2018 at 4:13 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Hellboy: …..I think this movie looks good!

On 12/29/2018 at 2:22 PM, Eric Laurence said:

Detective Pikachu: 140/390 (2.78x)

On 12/29/2018 at 2:33 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu:  220/660 (3x)

On 12/29/2018 at 2:33 PM, Eric Laurence said:

Godzilla 2: 90/230 (2.55x)

On 12/29/2018 at 3:04 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters: 75/210 (2.8x)

On 12/30/2018 at 5:37 PM, WrathOfHan said:

The Secret Life of Pets 2: 90/300 (3.33x)

On 12/30/2018 at 5:51 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Toy Story 4: 95/320 (3.37x)

On 12/31/2018 at 4:14 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood60/270 (4.5x)

On 1/2/2019 at 5:23 PM, WrathOfHan said:

It: Chapter 2:  120/310 (2.58x)

On 1/2/2019 at 5:38 PM, WrathOfHan said:

The Kitchen: 40/120 (3x)

On 1/3/2019 at 2:29 PM, Eric Laurence said:

The Goldfinch:  15/75 (5x)

On 1/3/2019 at 2:32 PM, Eric Laurence said:

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood: 35/150 (4.28x)

On 1/4/2019 at 2:23 AM, WrathOfHan said:

Gemini Man: 40/160

On 1/4/2019 at 4:46 PM, Eric Laurence said:

Charlie’s Angels: 35/100 (2.86x)

Terminator 6:  45/110 (2.44x)

On 1/6/2019 at 2:53 AM, WrathOfHan said:

Knives Out: 15/20/65 (4.33x/3.25x)

On 1/6/2019 at 5:13 PM, Eric Laurence said:

Cats: 25/135 (5.4x)

On 1/6/2019 at 5:15 PM, Eric Laurence said:

Little Women:  13 (OD)/165

• Thanks 2