sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Night Preview - 1917 $3.25M | Like a Boss $1M | Just Mercy $800K | Underwater $500K

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Never heard anyone half serious claiming the Globes have no box office effects, always did read that they tend to be by far the most important award in that regard (because of their timing, has the Oscar tend to only affect the best picture winner)

"The Big Picture" podcast among others constantly says nobody takes the Globes serious and "I don't know why we even have them.."  but clearly 1917 winning for Best Drama and Best Director made people take notice therefore I would say the GA does take them seriously. 

29 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

"The Big Picture" podcast among others constantly says nobody takes the Globes serious and "I don't know why we even have them.."  but clearly 1917 winning for Best Drama and Best Director made people take notice therefore I would say the GA does take them seriously. 

I like The Ringer as a site in general, The Big Picture is one its podcasts I only half listen to because the hosts are too wrapped up in their own specific LA pop culture bubble and their lack of box office understanding always ends up irritating me. I get what they are saying about the HFPA, many celebs make digs about the Globes being a bit of a joke even as they are on stage, in a way they wouldn't about AMPAS at the Oscars. But the evidence of Globe wins boosting box office stretches back years at this point, even if everyone thinks the HPFA members barely qualify as journalists, it's a star studded event that's the second highest rated movie awards show of the year. It gets tons of media coverage that night and a few days after. Of course Golden Globe wins can't hurt a movie and its star(s), the only time it did was maybe La La Land winning too big that night and starting the backlash against it.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Cmon, 2019 vs the 2000s? TROS performance of 30th or so WW is weaker than ALL Potter and Middle-Earth movies, and you know it.

Although this does make me think about WBs blatant lying that said Goblet of Fire lost money. Even with shady reporting what a crock!

36 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Although this does make me think about WBs blatant lying that said Goblet of Fire lost money. Even with shady reporting what a crock!

From what I remember that is not WBs that said that, the shady reporting did seem to be from the trade reporting about it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

From what I remember that is not WBs that said that, the shady reporting did seem to be from the trade reporting about it.

WB reported a defined proceeds deficit of 167 million

Grossed 900 million vs cost of 150. 290 domestic, only 11 from China. So 600m at a 40% cut plus whatever their cut was in domestic (I imagine 50% or higher right?)

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

Seriously in the sense of quality credential among people that follow what is going on, not sure if audience take them that seriously or if it is just more 10 of millions watch and seen the many trailers of the winners and if those are interesting they go (versus blindly going to see previous golden globe winners has a stamp of quality), Boyhood not sure it got re-released, Moonlight boost was good by didn't got that wide.

For sure the industry and people take winning at them seriously and spend good money on them, because there is a good ROI.

11 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

WB reported a defined proceeds deficit of 167 million

Grossed 900 million vs cost of 150. 290 domestic, only 11 from China. So 600m at a 40% cut plus whatever their cut was in domestic (I imagine 50% or higher right?)

I do not WB distribution arm reporting (just Sony a little bit), but if you are talking about that:

harrypotter_accounting.jpg

Always felt it was the sheet use to calculate the bonus going to the actors/producer/etc... has the cost they pay the production company is rising by about 30% of the gross receipt after fee (now about 315m US, the 7.7739 million jump is exactly 30% of the 25.976 after fee)

The fact that the DVD lines is still call VHS make it look like that 88 millions is just 20% of what the studio made from them, has it was quite common to do.

That distribution fee go to WB for example, I doubt, I extremely doubt they said to one of the most powerful producer in the business with a long relation with the studio like Heyman or to arguably the most powerful author in the world that the 900m box office giant dvd success franchise entry lost money so your bonus on this one will be a small one, do you want to make 4-5 other with US and that they accepted or anything of the sort.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JUM2's weekend is still estimated at 14.0 but small change in break-down on the-numbers.com

Fri and Sat went up a bit while Sun went down.

yesterday

Jan 10, 2020 Friday 5 $3,320,000 +169.1% -61.8% 3,904 $850 $246,444,981 29
Jan 11, 2020 Saturday 3 $6,455,000 +94.4% -40.3% 3,904 $1,653 $252,899,981 30
Jan 12, 2020 Sunday 3 $4,225,000 -34.5% -37.1% 3,904 $1,082 $257,124,981 31

today

Jan 10, 2020 5 $3,345,000 +171% -62% 3,904 $857   $246,469,981 29
Jan 11, 2020 3 $6,495,000 +94% -40% 3,904 $1,664   $252,964,981 30
Jan 12, 2020 3 $4,160,000 -36% -38% 3,904 $1,066   $257,124,981 31

I think it's pretty unfair to compare the ST to Potter and LoTR films which are adapted from BOOKS, the fans and GA know what to expect and everyone knows and agrees on what they want as a collective whole

Unlike with the ST this is the THIRD generation of films, released decades later after its initial peak, not based on pre-existing material and there's such a divide between OT loving boomers, prequel defenders/millennials, TLJ loving gen Z, etc.

OT is the only comparable trilogy for the FIRST set of films for LoTR and Potter

Prequels = Hobbit movies, Fantastic Beasts movies (which aren't doing so hot either)

ST = ???

The fact that the THIRD gen of this franchise in its 4th decade has an entry that topped the all time domestic list and $2B WW (the franchise repeaking for the 3rd time) is pretty amazing in itself

Will a Cursed Child live action film be able to boast such a feat? Oh wait, even the fans don't like that play that much

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Royce said:

Will a Cursed Child live action film be able to boast such a feat? Oh wait, even the fans don't like that play that much

But will a Harry Potter or LOTR "reboot" in 30 years make a ton of money? I think so, and you can mock me then if I'm wrong.

11 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Hogwarts Awakens will do 2.5B in 2025, but The Rise of Potter will do just 1.3B or so in 2029 ;) 

I predict a 267M opening week-end in November 2026 (732M WW)

65% drop the next week-end, but a 590M finale in the US nonetheless and 1,35B overseas: 1,94B total.

You read it here first.