Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

8 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I see that absolutely nothing has changed on this place, especially the reason I left the board. Same old power plays, same old Cartman’s ‘respect my authority’ schtick.

Oh well, I’m glad that The Marvels got the IMAX screens. Excited for November.

Welcome Back!

16 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I see that absolutely nothing has changed on this place, especially the reason I left the board. Same old power plays, same old Cartman’s ‘respect my authority’ schtick.

The Return Of The King | Know Your Meme

• Like 4

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this thread is locked by the time tickets go for sale. It'll also likely be locked during the movie's opening weekend just for good measure. Because those events are going to make this thread go nuclear in ways not even Dr. Oppenheimer would be able to comprehend.

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this thread is locked by the time tickets go for sale. It'll also likely be locked during the movie's opening weekend just for good measure. Because those events are going to make this thread go nuclear in ways not even Dr. Oppenheimer would be able to comprehend.

if they didn't lock the flash they aren't locking this one

3 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Such an insightful post. If you don't like it, continue your self imposed exile. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Absolutely not. This has been discussed at exhausting length.

So all those under 90 minutes takes were...not true at all.

The number that was being thrown out previously was 98 minutes so just a 7 minute difference. At 105 minutes this is still the shortest MCU movie and excluding credits it's only 95 minutes.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I mean it's only 10 minutes shorter than Doctor Strange and not even as short as the first X-Men movie. I think people mistakenly conflate longer to mean "more worth it" with ticket prices or more quality but we can look at Creator vs Saw X to see that's not necessarily true.

I've often felt that MCU films would benefit from having more slower character-focused scenes to break up the non-stop action. So that's why I'm worried. That and, as I pointed out earlier in the thread, historically most of the really short comic book movies have been awful. Then again, I acknowledge that there are people who think that MCU movies are bloated so to each their own I guess.

9 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Welcome back Zatt. It’s going to be a fun month of tracking for the Marvels 

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Short is good. I’ve no idea how anyone could look at all the SH films we’ve gotten over the last 20 years and think “damn, I wish this were 140 minutes!”

It's just a goofy discussion to have without having watched the actual film. For example, yes: "damn, I wish Black Adam were 140 minutes" is a real response I have to watching something that's both very close to being a really good movie and something that's clearly been scrambled around multiple times in the editing room. I wouldn't say the same about Morbius despite that film clearly wanting to have a 120/130M minute final cut. 

"Short is good" is why studios prefer bad short films to bad long films but the length of the final cut isn't exogenous to film quality. The anti-105 minute runtime case would just be a bet that the film was reedited based on poor test screenings. However, if thats the case, the actual contents of the film will provide a lot more evidence than runtime.