Eric Lasagna

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I have been saying I'll be getting the popcorn out for this as it's gonna be entertaining. One side will be declaring the death of the MCU, the other will come up with excuses, then sales pick-up, roles get reversed and so on. This is gonna be entertaining, and then the movie's gonna end up opening with like 115 million and no one will be happy.

115 million would be flat out good and hard to see

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I have been saying I'll be getting the popcorn out for this as it's gonna be entertaining. One side will be declaring the death of the MCU, the other will come up with excuses, then sales pick-up, roles get reversed and so on. This is gonna be entertaining, and then the movie's gonna end up opening with like 115 million and no one will be happy.

Probably not 115 but I agree that people just seem eager to say the MCU is dead every thirty seconds.

And then everyone's gonna say such and such the strike such and such word of mouth such and such Jonathan Majors and so on

16 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Better than the Marvel fan sites where they claim Quantumania and Secret Invasion were “actually good”

Quantumania was fine, bordering on not good, but it was entertaining enough. Secret Invasion was mostly decent, with a not good final episode.

So, as far as who leads the next Avengers...

Starlord.

He remembers Spidey and the team (b/c he wasn't on Earth for the spell, and maybe we get to find out the spell only worked on Earth)...and he is now on Earth (for good for the present time)...

Spidey and Strange co-bill under Starlord.

Shang Chi (if Disney is giving up China money) and Black Panther/Shuri as the under bill with a Marvel (or two or three) and/or Wong or Namor or Thor (depending how much Disney will be spending on cast).

Edited by TwoMisfits

10 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Quantumania was fine, bordering on not good, but it was entertaining enough. Secret Invasion was mostly decent, with a not good final episode.

Secret Invasion was the biggest character assassination I've ever seen Marvel do (it beat Sharon Carter's by a mile) - Nick Fury going from ultimate hero to Skrull user/abuser and overall human incompetent was something...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Guardians got a boost when its reviews came out at a very similar "sky is falling" type reaction tracking people have had over the hour ish tickets have been on sale now.

Fwiw, I do expect a modest early presale run, followed by an atypically strong finish for MCU (a la GOTG3), presuming solid quality/reviews. I just don’t think it will be enough for (another) $17.5M preview/$100M OW, but certainly not a say sub-$60M OW expectation like early sales alone might suggest

Let’s see how things look after Halloween

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

Fwiw, I do expect a modest early presale run, followed by an atypically strong finish for MCU (a la GOTG3), presuming solid quality/reviews. I just don’t think it will be enough for (another) $17.5M preview/$100M OW, but certainly not a say sub-$60M OW expectation like early sales alone might suggest

Let’s see how things look after Halloween

That seems about reasonable to me.

• Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

So, as far as who leads the next Avengers...

Starlord.

He remembers Spidey and the team (b/c he wasn't on Earth for the spell, and maybe we get to find out the spell only worked on Earth)...and he is now on Earth (for good for the present time)...

Spidey and Strange co-bill under Starlord.

Shang Chi (if Disney is giving up China money) and Black Panther/Shuri as the under bill with a Marvel (or two or three) and/or Namor and Thor (depending how much Disney will be spending on cast).

Those who lead The Avengers in comics generally lead Avengers in MCU. Kevin Feige recently said that Winter Soldier will be the de facto leader of the Thunderbolts movie, and they also announced new Thunderbolts comics this year, which is being led by Winter Soldier. So what they are doing in comics, they are doing in movies. Non-Avengers characters like Star Lord and Doctor Strange are unlikely to lead Avengers movies, IMO.

I’m not a “sky is falling” type of person but it’s kinda funny to see some fans acting like 80M would be good to a +150M

opener sequel. 

If Shang Chi and Eternals manage to do around that, yeah, there’s no other word beyond awful to Captain Marvel 2 if it ended up in the same ballpark. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Secret Invasion was the biggest character assassination I've ever seen Marvel do (it beat Sharon Carter's by a mile) - Nick Fury going from ultimate hero to Skrull user/abuser and overall human incompetent was something...

Secret Invasion has to be the worst thing Marvel Studios has ever put out. Just shockingly bad on many levels.

• Like 1

I can't see Starlord as a leader of the Avengers, from a narrative standpoint. He barely met some of them at the end of IW and - as far as most of them are concerned - he fucked up. Then for EG he just showed up with everyone else through the portals and was, you know...there. He would need to be present in a number of movies before the next set of Avengers for it to work from that point of view.

Of course, that all goes out the window if the need for a big leading star outweighs any narrative logic, and they can cram it all into one movie.

All this does is further exemplify how the MCU failed in this past phase not necessarily in setting a clear goal/threat, but worse still, in setting up a clear team of genuinely likable and interesting/charismatic heroes to form the new Avengers. 

10 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Those who lead The Avengers in comics generally lead Avengers in MCU. Kevin Feige recently said that Winter Soldier will be the de facto leader of the Thunderbolts movie, and they also announced new Thunderbolts comics this year, which is being led by Winter Soldier. So what they are doing in comics, they are doing in movies. Non-Avengers characters like Star Lord and Doctor Strange are unlikely to lead Avengers movies, IMO.

Sebastian Stan has not presented the charisma on screen to topline a movie nor to seem like a team leader of any team.  

He'd be one of my bottom choices for new Avengers lead.  Heck, Wong is higher on my list for next leader b/c he has shown some spark on screen - and the next leader won't be Wong...

1 minute ago, ZeroHour said:

Secret Invasion has to be the worst thing Marvel Studios has ever put out. Just shockingly bad on many levels.

First 3 episodes were very  mediocre and lazily written.

Episode 2 showed some small  signs of life and the only few solid moments.

Episode 4-5 were pretty bad.

Episode 6 was hot garbage . Dumbest shit the MCU had put out to date.

• Like 4

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

Guardians PS was not looking good. Disney did up the ante by doing early free fan screenings 6 days before release and pulled in reviews on the same day. They will have to do something similar here.

Obviously, the big question is whether the reaction will be as positive as it was for GOTG3. It could backfire otherwise...

• Like 2