Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

4 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Are they directing them towards women? Captain Marvel could've worked just as well if Carol was a guy, there wasn't really anything that screamed it was made for a different demo and that's because I don't think they are, really? It's an MCU film made for MCU fans, it's not an MCU film made for female MCU fans or viceversa.

Forget the right-wing nutsos that were never going to show up, there's no reason for girls to be significantly more interested in this than their boys counterparts, making the same film with a different gender lead doesn't significantly change the demo which is why yeah, captain marvel was slightly more female-skewing, but it was still a male-skewing audience film.

The Marvels is absolutely pushing the female blockbuster angle. You can argue Captain Marvel didn't but The Marvels is barely marketing Nick Fury, while in the original he was all over the marketing and they are pushing the female team up against a female villain. I'm not saying it bothers me because it doesn't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willowra said:

Thor was always strong from the beginning & so the Hulk. This is just another excuse for disliking Captain Marvel. What mistake(in the eyes of those nerds) they did that they showed her more stronger than Hulk & Thor.

No one cares what her strength levels are. lol. If anything, her strength levels is just what adds to her being a boring character just like Superman since she's invulnerable and can flick people away with her pinky. Its funny though that in that new clip she's struggling with some random Kree goons. Maybe this movie gives her some kryptonite.

31 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I'm surprised people are surprised, tbh.

And I know people want to use FNAF as an example of a film not affected by the strikes, but that film was SAG strike proof because no one was going to the film for the actors. They were going for the animatronics.

All films are suffering due to the strike. Again, I'm going to point to Indiana Jones doing better than Mission Impossible. I forgot, until now, that one film was released before the strikes (Indy) and one was released after (MI). And the one that got to promote did better here in the US!

um, Indiana Jones has always been a far bigger series than Mission Impossible and MI came out one week before a Barbenheimer which crippled it. Also I’m not sure what that has to do with The Marvels potentially dropping 70% from its predecessor 

21 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Everyone (or as close as you can get to "everyone" on the internet) knew this would come down hard from the first one due to China, and the fact that the first was massively boosted by Endgame (just like Alice in Wonderland was by being the first 3D movie after Avatar).

Other factors against it that some were less confident in were the "no1curr" factor in regards to the character of Captain Marvel, the Disney+ sidekicks, and CBM fatigue.

But even still, I thought it would at least be able to open $90m-$100m due to being the first MCU movie in 6 months since the well-received Guardians 3. But that had 0 tangible effect.

Which means is also the only MCU film released during the strikes.

This is why I think people need to realize the strike is hurting films a lot. Like, the biggest films since the strike have been Barbie (Which got its promotion in under the wire and was memed for months prior), Oppenheimer (Which also got its promotion in under the wire and was also memed for months prior), and now FNAF (a viral sensation with the younger demographic where the actors didn't matter at all). 

53 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Okay if Marvel made these films to primarily be directed towards women then riddle me this? Why aren't more women biting? Women can get Barbie to 162M and the Twilight films to 140M openings then why aren't more women supporting The Marvels to make up for the men that aren't interested? What did Marvel do wrong, when it comes to attracting more women and girls?

There's no hot guys in this cast or the first movie. Women love Evans and Hemsworth. MCU doesn't get this.

• Like 3

The Marvels is a Marvel superhero movie which is definitely a bigger brand than FNAF. FNAF should have been the one that needed the extra promotion, not The Marvels. Brie Larson not appearing on Seth Myers is not why The Marvels is tracking for a record drop 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

True, but I find the girls in the film attractive. Bree Larson and Teyonah Parris are sexy. Iman is a little out of my age range for an opinion.

Oh yeah of course,  I was only mentioning hot guys in relation to the captain marvel movies lacking what Barbie and Twilight had to attract female movie goers. 

33 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The Marvels is absolutely pushing the female blockbuster angle. You can argue Captain Marvel didn't but The Marvels is barely marketing Nick Fury, while in the original he was all over the marketing and they are pushing the female team up against a female villain. I'm not saying it bothers me because it doesn't. 

Sure, but I don't see what exactly is supposed to be the counterpoint to what I said here? They are pushing it as a female team-up against a female villain, yeah, but beyond that I don't really see anything different. It's like being surprised when Furiosa still skews male next year.

The leads are a different genre, absolutely, but it's the same film underneath. There's no reason to expect the female fans of this franchise to be significantly more excited for this than their male counterparts.

Edited by JustLurking

13 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The Marvels is a Marvel superhero movie which is definitely a bigger brand than FNAF. FNAF should have been the one that needed the extra promotion, not The Marvels. Brie Larson not appearing on Seth Myers is not why The Marvels is tracking for a record drop 

I agree. The actors not promoting The Marvels should have meant it is tracking to do 90-100M instead of 110-115M. 

33 minutes ago, John Marston said:

No, it didn't. Jason Blum already said the Peacock deal already made it profitable. Blumhouse movies don't need big promo campaigns because they're made dirt cheap.

32 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Blumhouse movies don't need big promo campaigns because they're made dirt cheap.

Blumhouse entire philosophy is having typical studio marketing campaigns mixed with "indie" filmmaking. That's what Blum has said many times. Blumhouse's marketing budgets are often much much larger than their production budgets.

Wait CM tracking looking at 45-60m .  I can agree no promotion definitely  affects  stuff but not to such a degree. This is a sequel to 150M+ opener.

Those tracking numbers are shit and GA were just not interested in this whatsoever and buzz was muted . Marvels after latest MCU woes was  always going to have  a  tough hill to climb.

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

The craziest part is they absolutely did not react this way when Blue Beetle opened, so it's not just "having fun about a movie opening badly". People fucking hate this movie for some reason.

No body gave a fuck about blue bettle.  Flash thread was just as bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Which means is also the only MCU film released during the strikes.

This is why I think people need to realize the strike is hurting films a lot. Like, the biggest films since the strike have been Barbie (Which got its promotion in under the wire and was memed for months prior), Oppenheimer (Which also got its promotion in under the wire and was also memed for months prior), and now FNAF (a viral sensation with the younger demographic where the actors didn't matter at all). 

MI7 got cast promotion though. It released on July 12, SAG-AFTRA strike started on July 14. Starting August movies started feeling effects of it though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

No one cares what her strength levels are. lol. If anything, her strength levels is just what adds to her being a boring character just like Superman since she's invulnerable and can flick people away with her pinky. Its funny though that in that new clip she's struggling with some random Kree goons. Maybe this movie gives her some kryptonite.

At least superman gets beat by kryptonians ,doomsday,magic weilders and ofcorse kryptonite.

The only challenge she faced was being hit by the power stone by Thanos and before that literally absorbs impact from Thanos punch like nothing.

Even Thor and hulk with there power levels get their assess handed to them once in a while.

And with the characters I've mentioned above ,even with their power levels ,they have sizable development as characters which keeps them interesting.

Once again there is no issue with her power levels. It's just that she feels overpowered in universe and nothing much seems to shake her. Adding that to her already thinly developed character and you get a boring character.

• Like 1