Eric Quinn

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

15 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Ok some actual critics that usually writes for big outlets

Okay a more serious comment.

I've mentioned off and on that I do think the one area where the dual strikes potentially hurt is if Disney wanted to spend some time between May and October on any editing/ADR/pickups/whatever issues that couldn't be solved with existing footage.

Does seem like it was a concern for some folks.  THAT BEING SAID, it does look like the movie is still good (enough) and not Morbius level chopped up as, say, @TwoMisfits feared.

But if this is something that could have been resolved by, you know, the AMPTP not being so effin' obstinate and made it an even better movie (for those folks with those concerns)?  Well, Disney knows who to blame here.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

That's actually wild, all this Ms marvel love considering people in here were just talking about how nobody cares about her

If people cared about any of these characters wouldn't you'd have seen it in the presales? Critics gave Ms. Marvel show/actress high marks and Marvel Studios tried to push the star but it got no traction. It seemed this was caused in part by genre confusion(?)/public idea of what MCU content is/isn't problems (and part due to an allegedly bungled second half). Will the film solve that problem or will that divergence persist. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nicson said:

I was not talking about critics

I'm talking about the early early social reviews that hyped the living hell out of The Flash from all those screenings

Well yes, but an important qualifier: a lot of those people were told/assumed that the versions they saw were unfinished, which is why a lot of that VFX got a pass on the logic of "oh that'll be polished for release" since it was at like Cinrmacon well ahead of release

18 minutes ago, tdangie said:

If the RT score ends up over 70%, then I got SERIOUS questions relating to why Disney decided this late of an embargo lift??

Threads moving fast, so I don't feel bad about repeating this.

I personally think the Historic Own Goal line is more around 80 to 83 RT.  A mid to low 70s RT might not have moved things as much.  Though I do think the reactions are positive enough to have moved the meter last week so we might just be quibbling over semantics here.

Two situations are likely here, again if this gets a reasonably fresh rating over at Rotten Tomatoes, which is still very much an open question:

Situation One: Disney pushed back the world premiere as far back as possible in a hope that the SAG deal was done in time.  They fatally misread how that would be interpreted by folks at large and by the time they realized that the GA needed a kick-in-the-ass interest wise, it was too late to do anything about it.

Situation Two: Whoever was in charge of making these decisions didn't think it would go over as well with critics/bloggers/initial influencers as they thought and they wanted to wait as long as possible before showing it to the public.

It's rare, but sometimes studios misread the quality of their own film in a negative direction and think it won't go over as well as it ends up doing.  

Mind, we don't know yet if this is the case!!!  But if it is, it's another reminder that studios, and ESPECIALLY THE MARKETING DIVISIONS OF STUDIOS, are *NOT* omniscient!

You never really do know for sure until the public gets ahold of something.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

That's actually wild, all this Ms marvel love considering people in here were just talking about how nobody cares about her

Within the last few years Ms.Marvel will have been the star of:

A massive failure of an Avengers game that bombed

The least watched MCU show

And now what looks to be the biggest bomb of the MCU

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Within the last few years Ms.Marvel will have been the star of:

A massive failure of an Avengers game that bombed

The least watched MCU show

And now what looks to be the biggest bomb of the MCU

Putting this on Ms. Marvel is ridiculous when she was barely featured in those trailers.

• Like 8