Eric Lasagna

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

19 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Black Widow was directed by a woman as well as those 2 movies and it somehow got a certified fresh. It's also Cate Shortland's 3rd highest score on Rotten Tomatoes.

Oh shoot, I completely forgot about black widow when I made my spreadsheet about directors MCU-debuts. My bad

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I can't speak on The Marvels because I haven't seen it but Eternals was not pretty good to me. It was at best aggressively mediocre.

I actually liked Eternals and will defend the movie's musical  score to the death.

1 minute ago, Hypercortical said:

Oh shoot, I completely forgot about black widow when I made my spreadsheet about directors MCU-debuts. My bad

I have to admit that I don't know the name of the director of Black Widow. Did she even do any interviews for the film?

29 minutes ago, DInky said:

And now they're probably also worried about promoting any characters originating in a Disney+ show. If we're just considering movie characters then we have Hawkeye, Thor, Hulk, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, Shuri, Yelena and FalconCap (and movies starring the last two might bomb before the next Avengers)..

Man, no one likes the Ants...I don't blame you, since they should have all died, save Cassie, last film;)...

• Haha 2

IGN are MCU shills which is why they should be ignored but my over all opinion is to believe most of the critics that liked the film liked it for legitimate reasons and most of the critics who disliked it disliked it for legitimate reasons. I don't see signs of a conspiracy one way or the other. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

It's not going to be adult dramas which is what I've been saying for years. Barbie and Oppenheimer were flukes.

Its going to be movies about stuntmen.  Starts next year with Fallguy which will lead to a Hooper remake.  This leads to both Sony, DC and Marvel turning Spiderman, Superman and Fantastic 4 into stuntpeople.  These movies will all make billions until Marvel kills the golden goose by using CGI instead of well stuntmen. 

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

IGN are MCU shills which is why they should be ignored but my over all opinion is to believe most of the critics that liked the film liked it for legitimate reasons and most of the critics who disliked it disliked it for legitimate reasons. I don't see signs of a conspiracy one way or the other. 

Right on. You can be sad/angry/confused that the critics' opinion doesn't align with yours but that doesn't mean there's a conspiracy.

7 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

Oh well, turns out her average feature film critic score was still brought down by working with the MCU. It's interesting because the majority of directors have their average brought up by their MCU debut. But then every single female director has had her average brought down by her MCU debut. (Part of that may be because it seems like their female directors are less likely to have low pre-MCU averages. But that can't explain devastations like 47% to Chloe Zhao's >90 average or 55% to Nia DaCosta's 89.5 average)

10 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

57% now so still has a shot at Fresh with 300 more reviews to go.

Quantumania and GOTG3 each ended up with 400 reviews on RT.

it's inching towards 60% for sure with "fresh" reviews such as:

"There are soaring highs fighting to break out from an overall cluttered movie with a sloppy plot that you’ll struggle to care about. But what does work, works incredibly well."

"Fans of earlier films in the series will probably take a hard pass here, but for those of us who enjoy a bit of satirical silliness, The Marvels manages to be both funny and endearing."

"The Marvels swings wildly between CGI-fueled action scenes, campy humor, and slivers of emotional gravitas. Banner cast chemistry between the likable leads lifts a convoluted plot with a dull and dreary villain."

I could go on forever. With fresh blurbs like this who needs rotten?

But anyway, as we all expected, dom influencers critics came to the rescue. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

And to think, we still have Aquaman! 2023 will truly go down in the annals of history. A proper banner year for movie disasters.

2023 is the new 2007

Ghost Rider

Fantastic Four:Rise of the silver surfer

Spider-Man 3

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

"There are soaring highs fighting to break out from an overall cluttered movie with a sloppy plot that you’ll struggle to care about. But what does work, works incredibly well."

"Fans of earlier films in the series will probably take a hard pass here, but for those of us who enjoy a bit of satirical silliness, The Marvels manages to be both funny and endearing."

"The Marvels swings wildly between CGI-fueled action scenes, campy humor, and slivers of emotional gravitas. Banner cast chemistry between the likable leads lifts a convoluted plot with a dull and dreary villain."

I don't know why you're acting like these are negative descriptions. 

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

No need to be bitter at a movie getting a Fresh. All indications that this isn't horrible. If it is entertaining, most critics will let it slide. Fresh will help it do a little better at least this weekend.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Social media influencers and bloggers will treat this with kid gloves (perhaps so that they get invited to do social media reactions for future MCU movies), but respected critics (top critics score currently at 4.8/10) and audiences won't be so kind. Still predicting  C+/B- Cinemascore from how it has been received overseas.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 3