Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

6 minutes ago, TommyOliver said:

Variety has this at 6.6 in previews and 60-65 OW.

Variety propping up Disney and then the actuals come in at 45.

the smurfs world GIF by Boomerang Official

The cynical side of me is saying this is so they can get more out of their "crisis at Marvel" articles with a "opened even under modest 60 million Friday prognosis" 

31 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The truth is, women don't care about Captain Marvel either. It's time to acknowledge that.

Its a wider female problem with their writing. It should not be a surprise that a fan favourite was Wanda and she did have a romantic/sexual storyline. What are women 25+ connecting to with The Marvels where Monica is a nobody whose defined by her job; a teenager who is written much younger than she is supposed to be; and Captain Marvel who despite being a human female from Earth acts disconnected from everything.

These aren't real women and their not empowering.

Meanwhile the men...

Iron Man - Sex and romance

Captain America - Some sex mostly romance and some jokes about the lack of sex

Thor - SEX AND ROMANCE

GotG - SEX AND ROMANCE

Woman superhero? Can't have sex and romance that pigeon holes her. Even Ant Man is getting some. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Iron Man - Sex and romance

Captain America - Some sex mostly romance and some jokes about the lack of sex

Thor - SEX AND ROMANCE

GotG - SEX AND ROMANCE

Woman superhero? Can't have sex and romance that pigeon holes her. Even Ant Man is getting some. 

I can't help, but noticing that these are Ike Perlmutter Era Phenomenons. Kevin Feige has ruined romance. 

One of the reasons that Wonder Woman did so well was because it had probably the best love story in the CBM film industry. 

Edited by The GOAT
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

I can't help, but noticing that these are Ike Perlmutter Era Phenomenons. Kevin Feige has ruined romance. 

One of the reasons that Wonder Woman did so well was because it had probably the best love story in the CBM film industry. 

Eternals had romance and a sex scene but since it's Eternals it doesn't count.

Thought I'd compare The Marvels to Birds of Prey demographic splits & grosses for previews (4.77M adjusted for inflation BoP)

FILM

M<25 M>=25 F <25 F>=25
Birds of Prey (perc) 18% 40% 17% 26%
The Marvels (perc) 18% 45% 13% 24%
Birds of Prey   (adj gross) 0.86 1.91 0.81 1.24
The Marvels       (gross) 1.19 $2.97 0.86 1.58
Edited by PlatnumRoyce
fixed table formatting

37 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Gemma Chan and that squared jaw Game of Thrones dude had the charisma of wet blankets and absolutely zero chemistry. 

Richard Madden was fantastic in Bodyguard. I would say he was not leveraged that well in a MCU movie. Hopefully he is one and done here and he can do better stuff elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Richard Madden was fantastic in Bodyguard. I would say he was not leveraged that well in a MCU movie. Hopefully he is one and done here and he can do better stuff elsewhere.

Out of the young cast in GoT, I think he is the best actor, but boy was he wasted in Eternals. Let him emote!

There were a lot of issues with Eternals but by far the biggest problem I had was the him and Gemma Chan. Both insipid, lacking charisma both together and apart, when the far more interesting characters barely got anything to do. 

15 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think its just really poor direction. Somehow everyones acting is stilted in Eternals. Feels like it might have been a weird set.

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

7 film contract was reported in 2019 (explaining why she got a larger base salary than other phase 3 leads)

But that's Capt Marvel, The Marvels, Avengers Endgame, end scene of Shang Chi...4 down...3 left, and that's if the end scene of Ms Marvel didn't count...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But that's Capt Marvel, The Marvels, Avengers Endgame, end scene of Shang Chi...4 down...3 left, and that's if the end scene of Ms Marvel didn't count...

Does bridging content like that count? Hemsworth had a six film contract yet appeared in Doctor Strange 1 (a seventh film). I suspect this is handled differently (or at least 1-2 of such cameos are contractually obligated [/obligated while on set filming another MCU film]) so I think it's 3 down/4 left with the remaining 4 presumably being 2 Avengers films, a third CM film and ???

Edited by PlatnumRoyce