Eric the Fall Guy

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Just realized this (and Ant-Man before the switch) is set to open a week after Oppenheimer. Will be interesting to see if director loyalty or brand loyalty will win the IMAX battle because Nolan movies are usually contracted to play on those screens for at least a few weeks.

There's no way to give IMAX to a 30M 2nd weekend instead of a 160M opener. If Oppenheimer wants multiple weeks it will move.

22 minutes ago, Illuminegion Confirmed said:

There's no way to give IMAX to a 30M 2nd weekend instead of a 160M opener. If Oppenheimer wants multiple weeks it will move.

It don’t matter opening size iirc when there’s contracts at play. It could be like NWH/Matrix where Marvels gets PLFs/Dolby and Oppenheimer keeps IMAX (only having to share for Marvels’ opening week).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, YourMother said:

It don’t matter opening size iirc when there’s contracts at play. It could be like NWH/Matrix where Marvels gets PLFs/Dolby and Oppenheimer keeps IMAX (only having to share for Marvels’ opening week).

If they haven't already contract locked Oppenheimer for multiple weeks, then safe to say they won't now.

If they have, lol, that was dumb.

• Like 1

Oppenheimer does seem to be in the roughest spot out of all the movies now. Saddled in between Mission: Impossible and this with Barbie opening the same exact weekend as a viable (and more commercial-sounding) counterprogramming option. Might not be a bad idea to shift back a few weeks all things considered if they want to appease contracts and give the movie a fair shot at financial success.

• Like 3

If I'm being honest, I'm getting some serious Detective Pikachu vibes from Barbie. A meta take on a classic property with some ridiculous A-list casting. While Pikachu's first trailer went viral, the movie itself came and went without leaving much of an impact on pop culture. Audiences likely enjoyed the trailer as a spoof, but were largely uninterested in a full movie with that concept. I can't help but think the same fate awaits Barbie, which also has to deal with a crowded marketplace like Pikachu did.

Basically, July 2023 is likely going to be a two-way battle between Marvel and Nolan while Barbie just stands there not being noticed by many. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

There's probably bound to be for Summer 2023 regardless, especially if Fast X is unable to make its May 19 date.

Fast X moving off May 19th and MI or Marvel's moving to that spot would solve a lot imo. I see the former moving there, especially if Top Gun hits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Fast X moving off May 19th and MI or Marvel's moving to that spot would solve a lot imo. I see the former moving there, especially if Top Gun hits.

Marvels can’t really go there because it’s 2 weeks after gotg — but yeah, a Fast delay and a pull forward from July tidies stuff up a lot.

Edited by Illuminegion Confirmed
  • Like 1

Would be cool if Madame Webb fucked off honestly. Literally no one is going to watch it anyways and it's just a wasted spot for an actually big movie to move to. Mission Impossible could move to May if Fast X moves, Marvels would go to the first week of July spot Marvel uses from time to time, and Nolan keeps his usual late July spot.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Would be cool if Madame Webb fucked off honestly. Literally no one is going to watch it anyways and it's just a wasted spot for an actually big movie to move to. Mission Impossible could move to May if Fast X moves, Marvels would go to the first week of July spot Marvel uses from time to time, and Nolan keeps his usual late July spot.

Disney won't release a MCU movie 1 weekend after Indy 5

They probably don't want their own movies to eat each other up. 

That's why you see in the Disney schedule at least 3 weeks between each major Disney release. 

Edited by ImNotRacistAtAll
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Disney's already got Indy 5 the week before that, though.

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

Oppenheimer does seem to be in the roughest spot out of all the movies now. Saddled in between Mission: Impossible and this with Barbie opening the same exact weekend as a viable (and more commercial-sounding) counterprogramming option. Might not be a bad idea to shift back a few weeks all things considered if they want to appease contracts and give the movie a fair shot at financial success.

I’d argue it and Across have the worst spots of the summer, both could move to the fall or maybe a readjustment. I don’t think Fast X will make 5/19 but I got a hypothetical for the schedule. If the studios had the brain cells to realize that overstuffing the summer would kill a portion of film, tap into the fall market as people will see movies that look good at any month.

5/5 - Guardians 3

5/12 - Ninja Turtles (animated with low budget due to Mikros, still could do a run similar to Captain Underpants to The Bad Guys. 6/2 is a choice too).

5/19 - Death Reckoning 

5/26 - The Little Mermaid

6/2 - 2 Meg 2 Sharks/Ninja Turtles (if it moves here and Transformers moves later)

6/9 - Transformers or The Flash in the scenario where Transformers move/Strays

6/16 - Pixar

6/23 - The Flash (if in the Flash/Transformers hypothetical, Oppenheimer could move here, more imax to)
6/30 - Migration

7/7 - The Marvels

7/14 - Oppenheimer (Strays could also go here to fit the Universal whole)

7/21 - Barbie

7/28 - Indiana Jones (again doubt it makes 2023 but what if)

8/11 - Blue Beetle

8/18 - Transformers could also go here

Labor Day Weekend - Spider-Verse (summer days ain’t worth it if the absolute ceiling for gross is Detective Pikachu numbers domestically)

Spoiler

More streamlined version if no Fast X this summer. Madame Web moves up to October cause Sony has a spot left and I doubt Venom 3 is ready. 3qualizer does mid September.

5/5 - Guardians 3

5/12  - Ninja Turtles

5/19 - Death Reckoning 

5/26 - The Little Mermaid

6/2 - The Flash (Wonder Woman opened there and was just fine and three back to back potential $100m openers seems cool)

6/9 - Strays

6/16 - Pixar

6/23 - Oppenheimer
6/30 - Migration/Nun 2

7/7 - The Marvels

7/14 - Meg 2

7/21 - Barbie

7/28 - Indiana Jones 

8/11 - Blue Beetle

8/18 - Transformers 

Labor Day Weekend - Spider-Verse 

In this situation, only Fast X and Madame Web, and maybe Transformers left the summer.

Edited by YourMother

18 minutes ago, Yomama said:

None of these films have to move because its the summer this may come as a shock to you but some people actually miss not having to wait a month between each trip to the theater

No one is saying that there must be a gap period between each tentpole but what we are saying is (which may be a shock to you) that a lot of overlap between movies with similar demographics tend to (which we’ve seen in a packed summer back in 2019 and 2017 where there was a large movie pileup that) cause a lot of underperformers which could’ve been avoided by a more even spread as the average consumer sees around 8-10 movies a year (though in hindsight, quality and fatigue played a factor). No one is saying they want a weak summer but like if a few films (no more than like 4 tops) moved a bit later in the summer or a few months earlier/later (no one is saying they’ll not come 2023), it create a more even distribution, creating room for more hits thus bigger box office for all the movies.

10 hours ago, CloneWars said:

Where did you hear this?

Be Quiet Cut It Out GIF

"I know people who know people."  I'll just put it like that.  

Spoiler

A good friend informed me that an early cut screened for certain members of a certain Hollywood organization.  The reaction to certain plot points was noted.  Major rewriting/additional shooting then commenced this year.  What happened in the originally-shot version will likely change significantly...we'll see!  Although a lot of details can already be uncovered if you dig a little bit across the internet...