Eric Duncan

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I still think not having any kind of explanation for two of the main charecters for those who do not watch Disney Plus was a huge mistake.

It's literally explained in the movie that Monica is the kid from the first movie and got powers now. And idk what more you could really explain for Kamala? Like she is a Captain Marvel fangirl that has powers. Like what more do you need to know, without compeltely derailing the movie?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Youngstar said:

It's literally explained in the movie that Monica is the kid from the first movie and got powers now. And idk what more you could really explain for Kamala? Like she is a Captain Marvel fangirl that has powers. Like what more do you need to know, without compeltely derailing the movie?

Isn't the problem more that the character dynamics are already a little unnecessarily derailed? You probably want Kamala to be more firmly and organically connected int the villain's story for the villain's sake (it doesn't help they clearly cut to pieces whatever was originally planned for the "villain obtains mcguffin" idea). The messiness is just a function of the production clash. Despite a physical connection between kid-sidekick and villain, there's no actual connection, parallel, etc. 

"Kamala's the captain marvel fangirl, Monica's the friend who feels like she was abandoned by Danvers and Dar-Benn feels like CM is 'the annihilator.'  The film's cut down length doesn't help but the dynamics just don't really do a great job of reinforcing each other and just get in each others way.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Isn't the problem more that the character dynamics are already a little unnecessarily derailed? You probably want Kamala to be more firmly and organically connected int the villain's story for the villain's sake (it doesn't help they clearly cut to pieces whatever was originally planned for the "villain obtains mcguffin" idea). The messiness is just a function of the production clash. Despite a physical connection between kid-sidekick and villain, there's no actual connection, parallel, etc. 

"Kamala's the captain marvel fangirl, Monica's the friend who feels like she was abandoned by Danvers and Dar-Benn feels like CM is 'the annihilator.'  The film's cut down length doesn't help but the dynamics just don't really do a great job of reinforcing each other and just get in each others way.

Eh, I kinda like how they're contrasting each other, had potential for some strong drama there, just didn't go with it. Especially the Kamala-Carol dynamic shifts were jarring.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2024 at 2:57 PM, ChipDerby said:

I didn't like this as much as I was hoping to. But Kamala was excellent. Probably a slight dip for me from the first. Villain was lame, per usual

This sums it up to me.

Villain being lame is just something the public seems to be getting really tired of nowadays though. She was almost a black hole of charisma any time she was on the screen, she felt like a Walmart version of the GOTG villain, and that guy had already sucked. It wasn't just lame, it was super lame, sadly.

Kamala really did save the movie.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

I don't blame her for the bad writing of course but I just don't know why they hired that actress for the villain beyond nepotism? She just brought nothing interesting to the role performance wise and doesn't hold your interest on screen. She's just not particularly charismatic or intimidating. It's bizarre casting. Even a badly written role can be elevated with the right actress. I usually don't mind nepotism but I think it wasn't a good idea in this case. 

They should have brought back Jude Law. His character would actually slot in pretty naturally into the role that Dar Benn fills. The history between Yon Rogg and Carol would add a much needed layer to their conflict that wouldn't need a lot of explaining (Carol and Dar Benn seem to have some kind of prior history but it's never really explored beyond the absolute barest of bones). And you'd get more juice mid film when you realize that this asshole actually kind of has a point about how Carol botched dealing with the Kree. Plus you'd get Jude Law's charisma and an actor audiences recognize in the villain role.

• Like 1