Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

11 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Madden was  just ok.

Decided to kill Ajak in the first minutes of the movie with zero development. That's the moment when I said yeah this movie is probably gonna be bad. Baffling choice from writers.

Jolly could have been a bad ass warrior but they chose to go for the amnesia plotline again!!!. Third act when she is fighting the villian ,was like who is she? ,what's her Arc? and what  the fuck is she fighting? Just didn't  care at all .

Druig was the absolute worst and had twisted pretentious sense of morality

Can't remember the one who had a crush on icaris. Her plotline was generic as hell.

The only character I liked was Kingo and I understand why he wasn't in the final act but he just completely vanished from the movie after that.

Makari was barely in the film and she was fun.

Phastos was just there for the heavy handed commentary on atomic bomb and providing macguffin technology used in the third act. Barely in the film.

Third act was just CGI fest about characters I gave zero fucks about.

Gemma chan is definitely not a choice for a lead but the whole movie completely drops the ball in terms of character , This movie completely fails it's characters. 

Eternals is a clear example on how not to write an ensemble film. 

Madden has the charisma to pull the lead role but I dont think his character was that well fleshed out. I dont remember character names. But if you are talking about Hayek, yah it was weird to see her having relatively inconsequential role. As was Jolie. 

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Madden has the charisma to pull the lead role but I dont think his character was that well fleshed out. I dont remember character names. But if you are talking about Hayek, yah it was weird to see her having relatively inconsequential role. As was Jolie. 

Can we just talk about for a moment here how the MCU was finally able to land Angeline fucking Jolie in a superhero movie and just gave her fucking amnesia?!

What the hell Marvel, you had one of the best actresses in the last couple of decades at playing absolutely badasses and you just gave her NOTHING to work with!! What a weird fucking choice.

Could've literally just written her as Lara Croft and it would have been 200% better than what they did to her.

And this is coming from someone who actually enjoyed Eternals just fine overall. Some character choices were just baffling.

• Like 6

I don’t blame her. I don’t care if you didn’t like CM1 or her character, the fanbase did her so dirty and the only people in the MCU that defended her were Boseman, SLJ and Cheadle. And all this because some of y’all got in your feelings for her advocating for more diverse critics. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, YM! said:

I don’t blame her. I don’t care if you didn’t like CM1 or her character, the fanbase did her so dirty and the only people in the MCU that defended her were Boseman, SLJ and Cheadle. And all this because some of y’all got in your feelings for her advocating for more diverse critics. 

Her, Daisy Ridley… bullying the shit out of female actresses is one thing that has never really left Hollywood 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, YM! said:

I won't vouch for anyone else but although I didn't like Captain Marvel and will continue discussing that because that is my right, I have always agreed with Brie Larson on the lack of diversity among reviewers and I have always defended her against the bullying from the too online anti-woke incel crowd. I do see why she would be disillusioned. Man-children have made a lot of money off of viciously attacking her, on YouTube in particular. She never deserved the treatment that she has received. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, YM! said:

There's always backlash to overbearing and overreaching circlejerks. Unfortunately, she caught the brunt of that. So much so that people are making 3 hr video essays of what she said 5-6 years ago. 

Brie Larson made a bizarre in-your-face-holier-than-thou speech on stage at one of those Hollywood event about white film critics(probably the least important profession in the world btw lol) and anyone who steps into politics or the culture wars is going to get some kind of hate train.  The youtube grifter crowd has seemed to make her public enemy number #1 though. 

Now Daisy Ridley, that one I don't understand whatsoever.  She was good in her role and from what I've seen she seems like a nice person and its not like she had anything to do with the creative direction the ST went with TLJ/TROS.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 4

On 10/13/2023 at 11:04 PM, SpiderByte said:

I've never understood the "nobody asked for x" type arguments. Nobody asked for any movie ever. That's not a real argument.

True but when the GA doesn’t know your product and the fan base is immediately turned off because it’s Thunderbolts In Name Only then you better turn out one hell of a trailer and final product..,and based on recent marvel offerings? That’s not looking good. If Marvels only opens to 50m then TB will open to 30m.

Edited by eddyxx

On 10/14/2023 at 3:50 AM, The GOAT said:

Things the first Captain Marvel could of borrowed from the Original Top Gun

1. Flying

- How is the main character an air force pilot, but have none of the characteristics and little aerial combat fight scenes? 

2. BiSexual Eroticism and Sexual Tension

- Handsome Guy and a Gym Freak Gal. Need I say more?

3. Hot Shot Main Character

- Why make such a big deal about being bullied for being a girl? Criticism and insults should bounce off of you like you're made of STEEL.

4. The Slow Jam Sound Track

Seriously, What is this Kree/Skrull/Jude Law nonsense?

They really wasted the 90s setting big time. Most we got was a No Doubt song, a NIN shirt, and a blockbuster.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Brie Larson made a bizarre in-your-face-holier-than-thou speech on stage at one of those Hollywood event about white film critics(probably the least important profession in the world btw lol) and anyone who steps into politics or the culture wars is going to get some kind of hate train.  The youtube grifter crowd has seemed to make her public enemy number #1 though. 

Now Daisy Ridley, that one I don't understand whatsoever.  She was good in her role and from what I've seen she seems like a nice person and its not like she had anything to do with the creative direction the ST went with TLJ/TROS.

She got attacked for playing a character that made the nerds mad in a film that made the nerds mad. It's obviously not her fault as she just played what she was given and honestly fairly well but logic never stopped anyone.

Not that I would consider the attacks justified if they were towards the screenwriters, mind you, as harassing people over a film you didn't like is...childish, at best, and psychotic at worst.

This is coming from someone who disliked TLJ and thinks ROTS is one of the dumbest blockbusters ever, but like...move on? It's a film. It's not even the first shit film in this franchise for fucks sake. I can get being upset, but the level of obsession isn't just creepy, it's straight up unhealthy.

But again, frustrated people with too much time on their hands aren't known for being logical.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

If Marvels only opens to 50m then TB will open to 30m.

That's a big leap for a movie that hasn't even shot, let alone released, a single frame of footage. There's no reason to assume automatically it'll have worse reception than Marvels.

Edited by SpiderByte

On 10/14/2023 at 3:00 PM, Valonqar said:

Do you guys know why MCU worked until Endgame? I'm curious to hear opinions and please don't say quality cause there were quite a few clunkers if we are being honest. But that was overlooked for larger value. So what does everyone think? Instead of talking in circles about what doesn't work now, lets start with what worked then. So why do you think that MCU worked between Iron Man (2008) and Endgame (2019)? 11 years.

Relatable loveable characters with good chemistry with each other. Watching avengers was like hanging out with old friends.

11 hours ago, YM! said:

She isn't going anywhere—not until Avengers 6. Her future in the MCU whether she'll get another solo movie or not—will depend on her role in the next two Avengers movies. If these movies make the character popular, she could get another movie after that, and if they are unable to make her popular like Endgame, then Disney won't spend another $300 million on her movie. All this confusion started when, last year, she said to Variety, "Does anyone want me to do it again?" But to THR last year, around the same time, she said that The Marvels is just the beginning of her phase in the MCU, and the movie is about her realizing that she can't do everything alone and that she needs the help and support of others to get work done. Though once The Marvels flops, the discourse around the Brie & the character will be very toxic for another few months to a year.

Edited by Willowra

For shitposting haterz like me these box office projections are hard to get excited about. You’d always prefer a general optimism that gives way to the crushing hammer blow of opening weekend underperformance. But now the low opening is priced in weeks before release. 

☹️

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

For shitposting haterz like me these box office projections are hard to get excited about. You’d always prefer a general optimism that gives way to the crushing hammer blow of opening weekend underperformance. But now the low opening is priced in weeks before release. 

☹️

As a fellow hating-ass bitch, you just have to remember that there are optimistic people,  they just aren't here.  There are plenty of people who think it's a vocal minority of negative people, because the first movie made over a billion.  These people are in denial that this likely won't do well. 

For some reason these people keep forgetting that reception shows up in the sequel.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

☹️

You can look forward to the reviews instead.

If it’s bad, it’ll drop even more.