Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

15 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Putting this on Ms. Marvel is ridiculous when she was barely featured in those trailers.

This is just not true unless you stopped paying attention after 1 single trailer.

Other than that original E3 trailer she is featured heavily in the trailers 

Edited by Dominic Draper
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

This is just not true unless you stopped paying attention after 1 single trailer.

Ms. Marvel was the least of that game's problems and you know it. What was even the point of bringing it up.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

The E3 trailer that pretty much everyone blames for killing interest in the game? Come on dude, you know what you're doing.

2 minutes ago, SaltyPistola said:

Ms. Marvel was the least of that game's problems and you know it. What was even the point of bringing it up.

What's the point of a poster lying about Ms. Marvel being featured in trailers and you giving it a thumbs up?

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/22/why-kamala-khan-was-chosen-for-marvels-avengers-protagonist-role

It was well known she was the main character. I can post lots of trailers and articles easily disproving that lie.

She was the lead character of a game that lost the publisher over $100M. She had her own TV show that barely anyone watched. And now she's a co-lead of what is going to be a bomb.

At a certain point you have to call a spade a spade. People aren't interested in the character in a mainstream sense. It is what it is. If Marvel wants to keep pushing the character that's fine but it'll likely result in people tuning out, as evidenced by a game, a TV show and now a movie. I was merely listing examples to back this up, nothing more, nothing less.

7 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

What's the point of a poster lying about Ms. Marvel being featured in trailers and you giving it a thumbs up?

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/22/why-kamala-khan-was-chosen-for-marvels-avengers-protagonist-role

It was well known she was the main character. I can post lots of trailers and articles easily disproving that lie.

She was the lead character of a game that lost the publisher over $100M. She had her own TV show that barely anyone watched. And now she's a co-lead of what is going to be a bomb.

At a certain point you have to call a spade a spade. People aren't interested in the character in a mainstream sense. It is what it is. If Marvel wants to keep pushing the character that's fine but it'll likely result in people tuning out, as evidenced by a game, a TV show and now a movie. I was merely listing examples to back this up, nothing more, nothing less.

Why is this the character you seem to be going after and have an obvious bone to pick with when literally none of the big complaints about the Avengers game have to do with 'she's in it'. Again you keep ignoring how the awful E3 trailer is what's commonly cited as the beginning of the end for the game in addition to poor reviews, a live service model nobody liked, poor graphics, poor gameplay etc

2 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

And what am I doing?

An obvious dogwhistle which you're not very good at masking.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Why is this the character you seem to be going after and have an obvious bone to pick with when literally none of the big complaints about the Avengers game have to do with 'she's in it'. Again you keep ignoring how the awful E3 trailer is what's commonly cited as the beginning of the end for the game in addition to poor reviews, a live service model nobody liked, poor graphics, poor gameplay etc

An obvious dogwhistle which you're not very good at masking.

Yeah no need to continue this conversation when you need to jump to pathetic things like that accusation because some comic book media you like got criticized.

You lied, I called you out on it and now you resort to that. Sad stuff.

Edited by Dominic Draper

2 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Yeah no need to continue this conversation when you need to jump to pathetic things like that accusation because some comic book media you like got criticized.

You lied, I called you out on it and now you resort to that. Sad stuff.

There's literally no reason why you'd bring up a game she was far from the main focus of in the marketing as the 'reason it failed' unless you had an ulterior motive. If you've paid attention to my posts, at all, I've been far from defending the MCU. You're just being pathetically petulant because someone refused to humor you.

3 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

You are, literally, not talking about the movie. You're complaining about a game that Kamala happens to also be in.

I have no opinion about any iteration of the Ms. Marvel character, as I’ve not seen her show or played the Avengers game (though I’m aware of that games many many issues, beyond Ms. Marvel), and I’m not a comics reader.

All I can say is that I’m not surprised that audiences aren’t latching onto a character whose seemingly defining characteristic is that’s she’s a fangirl of another character. Why is that something I should be invested in?

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

All I can say is that I’m not surprised that audiences aren’t latching onto a character whose seemingly defining characteristic is that’s she’s a fangirl of another character. Why is that something I should be invested in?

see, I think that premise can work if A) the hero they’re fangirling is actually beloved by the audience and B ) that’s the razor sharp focus of the movie. In this there are 3 leads. Anytime I see a promo I think ‘why is the one who isn’t Cap Marvel and Miss Marvel even there?’

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

(First post here; please let me know if not appropriate. Been following the discussion as knowledge of the bomb has widened and it caught my interest.)

I’m in an Australian theatre. It starts in 10 mins. I can report back in DMs to anyone who’s interested or post spoiler-free impressions here if that’s permissible. Or if there’s a special thread I’ll post there. 

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Another bit of consensus is that it's...too short? Which is probably the first time any MCU movie ever has had that complaint

I think I can rationalize that sentiment a bit. If they wanted it to just be a breezy fast-paced adrenaline rush of entertainment, it's too long with too many scenes that could be cut out to streamline it and there's far too much expository dialogue. If they wanted to actually tell the story of the movie, it's too short because it hardly even feels like an outline of that story.

This is also why it instead ended up feeling so long and dull to me, the two paths get in each other's way.

• Like 2