Eric the IF

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

On 12/4/2023 at 6:32 AM, SpiderByte said:

So you agree that it's a double standard because of who the director is, a thing Ive been saying this entire time that everyone's claiming isn't true?

Well, Killers and Napoleon are considered "serious" films, and Marvles is considered just entertainment. In critics eyes, that is apples and oranges. Nothing new.

And, anyway, Marvles was a much bigger bomb then 'FLowers and Napoleon.

On 12/3/2023 at 11:47 PM, Zak said:

Epics like Killers of the Flower Moon and Napoleon bomb all the time. Even before COVID films like that were a hard sell. Why would them bombing be as big news as the most successful franchise ever having a sequel drop 900M from its predecessor? Scorsese has never been a box office titan so who cares? Ridley Scott has been hit or miss his entire career so Napoleon bombing is not that sexy of a story. Marvel having their most unambiguous bomb since 2008 is a massively interesting news story and it is a massively more interesting story than those other two bombs.

And such a huge bomb, if the 275 Million budget rumors are true.

I could disagree about if being the first MCU bomb....Ant Man 3 lost money I beleive, but Marvles is the biggest. It aslo gives evidence that the tyring of the Marvel Plus shows with the Movies so closely is a failed strategy.

Look, serious dramas of any kind are a hard sell nowdays. Oppenheimer is a rare exception.

Personally I HATE HATE HATE this trend and see theatrical movies as a serous art from being gone within a couple of years, but that is what is happening.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 4:59 PM, Becker said:

To be fair to Napoleon, It was a movie, created/produced by the British, about a Great French Leader/Conqueror. Plus The Marvels is a sequel to a superhero movie that grossed over $1 billion. One of the prestigous 53 movies. 

Both Napoleon and Killers were ambitous historical dramas by major directors; Marvels was pure enetertaiment. I repest apples and organges.

At least the debate about whether or not CBM have lost a lot of their popularity or not is over.

Yes you will have the occasional Spiderman/NWH or GOTG3 or The Batman that will be big hits, but the days when a CBM'in general had a gauranteed big box office are over.

Both the MCU and DCU have huge,huge, problems.

At least the debate about whether or not CBM have lost a lot of their popularity or not is over.

Yes you will have the occasional Spiderman/NWH or GOTG3 or The Batman that will be big hits, but the days when a CBM'in general had a gauranteed big box office are over.

Of course, this is connected with an industry wide problem, the coming of streaming big time has caused the bigeest drop in theater attendance since the coming of Television cut attendence 40% in the late 40's Early 50's. ANd the loss seems to be permanent. And no, Covid is not responsible. I think the loss would have happened if there was not Covid, but not as quicklky as it did.

COVID pushed everyone who was on the fence regarding streamers into their camp because of no alternative, which ended up hurting theatrical even more.

It's a good thing MCU and DC are taking next year off tho beyond Deadpool 3 and Joker 2 which will win back goodwill unless the quality is atrocious

6 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

COVID pushed everyone who was on the fence regarding streamers into their camp because of no alternative, which ended up hurting theatrical even more.

It's a good thing MCU and DC are taking next year off tho beyond Deadpool 3 and Joker 2 which will win back goodwill unless the quality is atrocious

I disagree the films being made right now for comic books are not entertaining or well made. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Oh don't worry people have already decided Deadpool 3 "doesn't count" even though Marvel Studios is the one making it

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

On 12/8/2023 at 6:58 PM, dudalb said:

i just dont see the biggest difference when we still had years where Dark Phoenix, Hellboy, Kick-Ass 2, Fant4stic, Green Lantern, Hulk '03, Elektra, Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance, Jonah Hex all come out and bomb/underperform in the midst of being the "golden era of CBMs"

if a movie looks good audiences will turn up. Apparently The Flash, Shazam, Blue Beetle and the Marvels didnt look that good to the GA

• Like 2

Didn't Disney say there were no longer reporting International markets? I just checked and a number of markets are showing totals going through December 10th (U.K. , Spain and Mexico among the largest markets still reporting).

It's not much, it looks like about $2.9m total for both last week and the weekend.

Maybe Disney just really wanted to show it finally passed $200m WW?😈

WW total stands at $202,229,615.

8 hours ago, Shindaya said:

i just dont see the biggest difference when we still had years where Dark Phoenix, Hellboy, Kick-Ass 2, Fant4stic, Green Lantern, Hulk '03, Elektra, Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance, Jonah Hex all come out and bomb/underperform in the midst of being the "golden era of CBMs"

if a movie looks good audiences will turn up. Apparently The Flash, Shazam, Blue Beetle and the Marvels didnt look that good to the GA

And I might add that other than Shazam, none of those films had their actors promoting them like is the case for blockbusters every other year. The way ppl are just ready to ignore the existence of GotG3 and AtSV, which were successes just before the strikes hit, is hilarious.

We won't get a clear case of the health of the superhero movies at the BO till the end of 2025 by which time a lot of the biggest franchises in the genre would have their movies come out.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 7:21 AM, Spidey Freak said:

I think all Covid did was speed up something that would have happened anyway without covid but over a longer span of time.

15 hours ago, dudalb said:

I think all Covid did was speed up something that would have happened anyway without covid but over a longer span of time.

Covid imo just changed the market heavily to winners and losers before.

Movies like Indian jones 5, marvels etc could all usually get a decent gross even if they sucked.

Now these films are eithre bombing hard or become super all time hits. 

Finally got to watch it (my small town movie theater only had the dubbed version, the bastards, so I didn't watch it at the cinema).

It was really endearing and sorta adorable, shame about its numbers. Kamala is the best.

On 12/13/2023 at 6:11 AM, Torontofan said:

Covid imo just changed the market heavily to winners and losers before.

Movies like Indian jones 5, marvels etc could all usually get a decent gross even if they sucked.

Now these films are eithre bombing hard or become super all time hits. 

All COvid did was speed up the move to streaming. It would have happened anyway, just would have taken longer.