Eric the IF

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

Wikipedia keeps changing this from being called a “box office bomb” to a “box office disappointment”

Discounting some Covid releases, it is literally the lowest grossing 200M-budget film ever.

23 hours ago, dudalb said:

All COvid did was speed up the move to streaming. It would have happened anyway, just would have taken longer.

Sure, but the timeline to streaming clearly mattered. The big "Netflix correction" last year/two years ago changed thinking on streaming and it really would have mattered what side of that line you were on with streaming service investments and how they were treated by wall street. 

34 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Sure, but the timeline to streaming clearly mattered. The big "Netflix correction" last year/two years ago changed thinking on streaming and it really would have mattered what side of that line you were on with streaming service investments and how they were treated by wall street. 

Oh, I agree; The sudden shift to streaming badly hurt studios. If had been more gradual, they could have handled it better.

I think there is still some denial going on here. I think the GA has simply has their fill of Superheros for the time being, and are going to be a lot more selective about the ones they see. And they won't spned as much on the movies as they have been doing.

• Like 2

I do think that it's not as simple as "change this one thing and it'd have been huge". I do think the "homework " idea is overstated since that wasn't a problem for previous movies, including the ones with way more history involved like No Way Home and Endgame.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think there is still some denial going on here. I think the GA has simply has their fill of Superheros for the time being, and are going to be a lot more selective about the ones they see. And they won't spned as much on the movies as they have been doing.

This 1000%. People showed up for Tom, Tobey and Andrew. That was an event. They sure as hell didn't show up for Ms Streaming Show 1 and Ms Streaming Show 2. That was not an event. Not a rocket sceince. 

Edited by Valonqar

Has anyone here had the chance to actually sit down and watched the movie from beginning to end. Unless I'm mistaken, It would appear as though that most of the people ranting about the movie have not. As someone who has, I can confirm the movie itself, regardless of genre and actor/studio name prestige, is quite mediocre to point where I would recommend against viewing it unless you are an Alpha-Omega-Beta-Gamma-Delta SuperHero Fan.  

Edited by Becker
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

18 minutes ago, Becker said:

Has anyone here had the chance to actually sit down and watched the movie from beginning to end. Unless I'm mistaken, It would appear as though that most of the people ranting about the movie have not. As someone who has, I can confirm the movie itself, regardless of genre and actor/studio name prestige, is quite mediocre to point where I would recommend against viewing it unless you are an Alpha-Omega-Beta-Gamma-Delta SuperHero Fan.  

I didn't watch cause I had zero interest in this team but all you said was obvious from trailers. Mediocrity, annoyance, no hook, promo tone and focus shifting with each new teaser/trailer/clip/spot. First they wanted to present all 3 as equals than when that didn't work they tried last ditch attempt to refocus on Carol, etc. Disposable movie. Everything about it screamed disposable especially cast members from streaming shows. That just spelled cheap, and wait for, well, streaming. 

Edited by Valonqar

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I didn't watch cause I had zero interest in this team but all you said was obvious from trailers. Mediocrity, annoyance, no hook, promo tone and focus shifting with each new teaser/trailer/clip/spot. First they wanted to present all 3 as equals than when that didn't work they tried last ditch attempt to refocus on Carol, etc. Disposable movie. Everything about it screamed disposable especially cast members from streaming shows. That just spelled cheap, and wait for, well, streaming. 

A major part of it was not only was the story meandering at best and painfully low brow at worst. But, it also had the added effect of not being cinematic. In many respects, it had the feel of a Star Trek episode. Made for Television is how I would describe it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Becker said:

A major part of it was not only was the story meandering at best and painfully low brow at worst. But, it also had the added effect of not being cinematic. In many respects, it had the feel of a Star Trek episode. Made for Television is how I would describe it. 

Bingo. It feels like a money laundering scheme that that made for TV thing had 250M budget after a tax break! So originally more than that and even covid cannot explain how the heck it looked like a Canadian sci fi (the lowest of sci fi) on such a big budget. TV characters, TV quality of visuals, TV pilot plot. 

• Astonished 1

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Bingo. It feels like a money laundering scheme that that made for TV thing had 250M budget after a tax break! So originally more than that and even covid cannot explain how the heck it looked like a Canadian sci fi (the lowest of sci fi) on such a big budget. TV characters, TV quality of visuals, TV pilot plot. 

This was a movie that Marvel had no idea what to do with, and tried reshooting and recutting to hell and back until they eventually just gave up on it. As I've said elsewhere, if they truly had faith then this would be out this year, not last year during the strike.

19 hours ago, Becker said:

I don't agree. It's fine, it's fun (a lot more than the first film). The core problem is that a 2/5 film really isn't that different from a 3/5 film so external factors routinely bump films up or down the quality of film ladder. Film clearly had script problems leading to significant cuts and reorganization but I thought it came together as a solid movie with a bad villain. Obviously general audience disagreed but I think people generally overstate the sheer range in quality of films that are neither disasters or firing on all cylinders.  

17 hours ago, Valonqar said:

People say this sort of thing a lot but, having watched those shows I rarely agree! Look at Supergirl (even while on CBS before it was relegated to filming in Canada with the CW [thus removing the one good part of the show - Callista Flockheart): it literally didn't have the budget to have a flying super-hero and unlike the Flash, there isn't a cheap way to abstract the use of powers (also why Smallville used 'the streak' instead of Superman flying). This youtube video shows what "tv pilot" money gets you. That's just not comparable to mediocre MCU effects. 

And this is a charitable link because it doesn't showcase problems such as cheapness in the character flying into a scene. 

Captain Marvel is far from something like Man of Steel in its depictions of Superman like powers (which I disliked at the time but has aged well given the effects in CM, Shazam, and Black Adam), but it's clearly above the Shazam movies, and in line with plenty of other theatrical releases. 

• Like 2

I saw the film and rated it half a star more than Captain Marvel which I rated 2 and half out of 5 stars. Larson is far less wooden thank goodness but her character is still among the least interesting in the MCU. Ms Marvel, as she was in her show, is great. Larson seems to struggle with this type of film for the most part but Iman Vellani just bursts off the screen and knows exactly how to play to the cameras. Teyonah Parris is fine. The story is immensely stupid and nonsensical and the editing atrocious. I don't mind the musical planet sequence. It wasn't amazing but it wasn't bad either. I've been dealing with this disappointment since that awful Secret Invasion series but it hit me again how just uncool Nick Fury is now. He's a pathetic clown. They destroyed his character and I don't know why? The chemistry between the leads is fun so that's nice and DeCosta is an interesting director but man I don't like the script to The Marvels. I wouldn't classify it as a bad film but it is an eh film. I see why word of mouth didn't save it. Man James Gunn makes the found family in space thing look easy but it obviously isn't.

• Like 1

Watched the first 30 minutes of this and didn't expect too much out of this but this might be the mosr haphazardly edited superhero movie I've seen since 2016 Suicide Squad. Plays out like one of the edited down clips (like that Madame Web clip recently) they release for marketing.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

On 1/27/2024 at 2:50 AM, HummingLemon496 said:

This movie only grossed 3M more in its entire domestic total than what the MCU 2022 opening days average out to (81.5M)

I Like how it made less money than Ghost Rider from 2007. That sums it up