Boxofficerules

Weekend Thread: Estimates BB 34, 1917 15.8, Dolittle 12.5, Gentlemen 11, Jumanji 7.9, Turning 7.3 | Bad Boys and 1917 cross 100M, Star Wars 500M

14 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Opening on MLK doesnt have anything to do with it. The only valid critique with a holiday is remembering the week to week impact or the fact that a Monday holiday inflated the Sunday hold all of which inflates or changes the weekend total, but not the Friday. 

Only Friday on the calendar to consider with such things (barring Christmas if it falls there) is Good Friday since it so dramatically changes how things play for that one weekend. 

Behavior of films in play is way more than this minute little aspect you have latched onto. 

I have no idea why are you struggling with such simple thing. It was second weekend for this movies so they weren't losing any theatres it is 7th week for jumanji and it lost around 200 theatres. If jumanji was in this 200 theatres it jump would be even more impressive. Seriously you don't think that having this big jump and losing theatres is more impressive than big jump without losing theatres?

I thought the 4-day holiday weekend deflates the 3-days weekend itself because now the demand is distributed between 4-days. Cinemas arent necessarily a "more time=more visits" thing, at some point the demand is satisfied. With the increase on a Monday for family movies like Frozen 2 and the relatively weak increases on friday and saturday, it shows that some people choosed the Monday for their cinema demand over the regualr F-S-S weekend.

@narniadis I would love to back you up on this little edification that you are having with some of the other members but you are doing fine on your own LOL and second of all I am working right now and I don't have the time or the energy or the wherewithal to explain it myself. So keep up the good work buddy you're doing just fine 😉

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Never understood why people here expected BB3 to be front-loaded, the John Wick franchise already teached us that well received male oriented Action movies can deliver great multiples.

It's going to easily cross $200m DOM, probably a $400m+ WW total, huge win for everyone.

Its not easily going to cross 200 million. It might cross it but easily? Don't think so. 

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

@narniadis I would love to back you up on this little edification that you are having with some of the other members but you are doing fine on your own LOL and second of all I am working right now and I don't have the time or the energy or the wherewithal to explain it myself. So keep up the good work buddy you're doing just fine 😉

Considering I am reporting for work now myself its going to have to wait (If I choose to continue at all...) cant talk sense with those that work from preconceived notions. I should remember that from you and all the dealings with KAL years ago 😂😂

• Haha 1

Fixating on a Friday daily bounce is simply bizarre. It’s not even a sign of a movie doing well, if could just as easily be a sign of a weak Thursday 🤣   

In this specific case the movie is doing well on Friday, but the number which indicates that is the weekly drop.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Never understood why people here expected BB3 to be front-loaded, the John Wick franchise already teached us that well received male oriented Action movies can deliver great multiples.

It's going to easily cross $200m DOM, probably a $400m+ WW total, huge win for everyone.

All of the John Wick films had roughly a 3x Overall/Opening 3-day multiple, and none of them opened on a holiday weekend. BB3 needs a roughly 3.2x multiple opening from a holiday weekend. I don't see it happening. If it gets to $200m, it will be surprising. Around $180m seems more likely.

• Like 1