Boxofficerules

Weekend Thread: Estimates BB 34, 1917 15.8, Dolittle 12.5, Gentlemen 11, Jumanji 7.9, Turning 7.3 | Bad Boys and 1917 cross 100M, Star Wars 500M

18 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I love Belgium! I can't wait to go back when we travel to Europe again. I already miss Europe, stinky USA with their thousand dollar economy domestic flights for 2 people.

One good thing is you can churn credit cards to pay for it :D Probably will do 10 or so through this year then take a break.

What did you do in Belgium, there isn't that much to do right? (Atleast nature wise). What other countries did you visit in Europe and do you notice much difference between the different countries?

And yes flights are damm expensive.

7 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

At least Universal as a studio isn't averse to repertoire screenings, Cats will get midnight showings for years to come.

A Star is Born made $215m and spent its first 4 weekends at #2. It might have been #1 on some weekdays, though IDK if people really count that. My Big Fat Greek Wedding probably topped the chart on some Tuesday but it was the Never #1 king for years and years.

Still, Knives Out is having a great run, I liked it a lot but wouldn't have expected the staying power to be this strong in our current "it can wait for streaming" climate. 

Having a good laugh reading the Twitter comments about The Turning's ending.

BO is predicting a $6.9m weekend. It has a chance to go sub-$6m since the ending was so bad. Underwater was bad but this one is even worse!!!!! 

KO never hit #1 on a weekday ever and to gross this high without ever doing so is such an accomplishment. MBFGW was such a jaw-dropping run!!!! I miss those type of movies!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

At least Universal as a studio isn't averse to repertoire screenings, Cats will get midnight showings for years to come.

The Prince Charles Cinema in London scheduled a special “Jellicle Ball” screening for next month where people can basically dress up (watch out for the furries...) and laugh at the film, it sold out within just a few hours. Probably not exactly what Universal intended, but it shows there’s an audience out there for it, even if it is as an in-joke in the style of Tommy Wiseau’s The Room.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Thanks 1

I have to laugh at how Lionsgate really pushed Bombshell for the awards when in reality Knives Out should have been their big push. It’s doing great at the box office and would be doing even better with a big awards boost behind it. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I have to laugh at how Lionsgate really pushed Bombshell for the awards when in reality Knives Out should have been their big push. It’s doing great at the box office and would be doing even better with that awards boost behind it. 

Bombshell is a great movie too. Too bad it acted like the VICE of this season. 

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I have to laugh at how Lionsgate really pushed Bombshell for the awards when in reality Knives Out should have been their big push. It’s doing great at the box office and would be doing even better with a big awards boost behind it. 

Lionsgate thought Bombshell more oscar baity nature can be more rewarding than KO.

Turns out KO has much better award bodies score than Bombshell. GG Best Comedy/Musical, AFI top 10, PGA best film, which bombshell scored none of those.    

11 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

BO is predicting a $6.9m weekend. It has a chance to go sub-$6m since the ending was so bad. Underwater was bad but this one is even worse!!!!! 

KO never hit #1 on a weekday ever and to gross this high without ever doing so is such an accomplishment. MBFGW was such a jaw-dropping run!!!! I miss those type of movies!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very cool, I've never seen the lists broken out between Never #1 on weekends vs. Never #1 on any day, though I've always wondered. It's probably a lot of December releases? 

My Big Fat Greek Wedding was a pretty rare run even when it was happening. Big multipliers are the best.

10 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

LW's Friday increase is strangely low for a PG movie. 

To be fair, despite the PG rating, it's not really playing towards families (the two times I saw it, it was mainly seniors and middle-aged folks in the crowd)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

LW's Friday increase is strangely low for a PG movie. 

Screen loss + its not a family film its behaving like a middle of the pack awards film. Its holds and performance in general has been ok but not great. 

2 minutes ago, Eric Dolittle said:

To be fair, despite the PG rating, it's not really playing towards families (the two times I saw it, it was mainly seniors and middle-aged folks in the crowd)

But 1917 and just mercy got higher bump than LW, 1917 can't be more family friendly than LW 

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

But 1917 and just mercy got higher bump than LW, 1917 can't be more family friendly than LW 

1917 also had another expansion and is the "current frontrunner" of the general awards conversation at least among average populations. Just Mercy and 1917 also havent been playing wide nearly as long as LW has been. 

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

1917 also had another expansion and is the "current frontrunner" of the general awards conversation at least among average populations. Just Mercy and 1917 also havent been playing wide nearly as long as LW has been. 

This is the 3rd consecutive Friday that LW has the lowest Friday jump among top 10.  

1 hour ago, a2k said:

469.5+ for F2 after 2.275m weekend (-40%).

0.486 + 1.118 (+130%) + 0.671 (-40%) = 2.275

I would be disappointed with only 2.275M weekend. Both Saturday increase and Sunday drop should be better than your estimate. -40% on Sunday would be plain terrible. At least 2.4M should happen.

58 minutes ago, pepsa said:

What did you do in Belgium, there isn't that much to do right? (Atleast nature wise). What other countries did you visit in Europe and do you notice much difference between the different countries?

And yes flights are damm expensive.

25 countries. I drank lots of delicious beer. Grand palace, saw lots of awesome architecture, visited Ghent. People were great as was the food. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

25 countries. I drank lots of delicious beer. Grand palace, saw lots of awesome architecture, visited Ghent. People were great as was the food. 

Damm 25 countries that so cool honestly, glad to hear you enjoyed it!, I nope one day I will also be able to travel to place and cultures furter away from home.

Weren't the people to untalkative in Belgium? I hear that comment alot and my friends and me fit in that stereotype 😛

Edited by pepsa

54 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I’m surprised The Turnings no ending got past test screenings.

Lots of movies have reshoots. Maybe there was another ending that tested worse? Though how do you get worse than an F, lol. I think the test screening metrics are slightly different than CinemaScore's.