Eric Atreides

***PLEASE READ***Why the Fanboy Wars Thread is Locked: New Rules are being TESTED ***PLEASE READ***

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

You were the one who brought up PC. I don't want to start a debate in this thread, so I could PM you and continue this convo :) 

Ok.. I’ll forward your messages to the people you were trying to reach who did that  

2 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Ok.. I’ll forward your messages to the people you were trying to reach who did that  

I... I intended that message to you. I'm trying to have a conversation with you, but clearly you don't want to do that :lol: 

if the franchise thread is toxic, why not threadban the toxic users? instead of the whole thread. I guess it would be too much work for the staff to keep up with who goes too far or not there since not everything gets reported so its understandable at least.

I'm not that active on this board but that thread is usually entertaining to read (whenever people aren't insulting each other).

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

The problem is how you define trolling. A definition listed in this thread is as follows:

I frequently argued in the BoP thread,

There's your problem right there. Why? To eventually argue people into agreeing with you? Like others said before, it's fine to make your point once or twice but the endless bickering is just tiresome. You're even doing it now, repeating the same points about Birds of Prey in a topic that has nothing to do with that. Don't you see how that gets tiring for people? 

I don't feel strongly one way or the other about the thread being closed because I didn't post there (I would occasionally lurk for a good laugh when I needed one), but it's a good idea in general to not devote so much mental energy to something you clearly don't like.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

There's your problem right there. Why? To eventually argue people into agreeing with you? Like others said before, it's fine to make your point once or twice but the endless bickering is just tiresome. You're even doing it now, repeating the same points about Birds of Prey in a topic that has nothing to do with that. Don't you see how that gets tiring for people? 

I don't feel strongly one way or the other about the thread being closed because I didn't post there (I would occasionally lurk for a good laugh when I needed one), but it's a good idea in general to not devote so much mental energy to something you clearly don't like.

A couple points:

1: If people choose to engage with me, why am I liable? It’s not like I went to the thread to talk to myself. I make a point. Someone disagrees. We make our cases. That’s how message boards work. Should we also say that people can’t repeat their positive points about a film? They can only say what they like once or twice and then never again? Or is it just negativity that gets tiresome, even if it’s accurate (as we see today)?

2: I am providing an example of a very broad and subjective interpretation of trolling. Other users in this thread have also provided examples of subjectively unjust trolling accusations under the provided definition.

3: I like talking about the industry. About marketing. About production. Tracking. Reshoots. Comparisons to other films. All of it. I don’t have to like a film to like talking about a film. Are we required to like a film to discuss it?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Why not just move the fanboy thread to the speakeasy or something?

Image result for spongebob move it over there

Actually what about a sub forum for franchise discussion? 

If someone complains or reports someone they will be told "this forum is for potentially controversial opinions. Please go to the rest of the box office forum for censored discussion and closely monitored behavior".

I changed the wording in the OP and went into more specifics that people were upset over. I'm very sorry that I caused confusion to many of the members here, and I will try harder to make sure that I'm as clear as possible.

31 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

if the franchise thread is toxic, why not threadban the toxic users? instead of the whole thread. I guess it would be too much work for the staff to keep up with who goes too far or not there since not everything gets reported so its understandable at least.

It's because I want people to show they are willing to listen and change. If they want to contribute to the conversation, then they'll clean up their act or at least try and be more courteous. If they don't want to and just want to troll and spread toxicity and unpleasantness (and right now, there are a couple people who seem to just want to do that), then we'll ban them.

And hey, if they don't like that idea, then they can just go somewhere else. There's hundreds of other forums and web sites people can visit to talk about box office. We're not forcing people to stay here.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Eric Sionis said:

I changed the wording in the OP and went into more specifics that people were upset over. I'm very sorry that I caused confusion to many of the members here, and I will try harder to make sure that I'm as clear as possible.

It's because I want people to show they are willing to listen and change. If they want to contribute to the conversation, then they'll clean up their act or at least try and be more courteous. If they don't want to and just want to troll and spread toxicity and unpleasantness (and right now, there are a couple people who seem to just want to do that), then we'll ban them.

And hey, if they don't like that idea, then they can just go somewhere else. There's hundreds of other forums and web sites people can visit to talk about box office. We're not forcing people to stay here.

For anyone who couldn’t be bothered to read this nonsense the message is clear, “go somewhere else if you are not on the same team”

• Community Manager
27 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

A couple points:

1: If people choose to engage with me, why am I liable? It’s not like I went to the thread to talk to myself. I make a point. Someone disagrees. We make our cases. That’s how message boards work. Should we also say that people can’t repeat their positive points about a film? They can only say what they like once or twice and then never again? Or is it just negativity that gets tiresome, even if it’s accurate (as we see today)?

2: I am providing an example of a very broad and subjective interpretation of trolling. Other users in this thread have also provided examples of subjectively unjust trolling accusations under the provided definition.

3: I like talking about the industry. About marketing. About production. Tracking. Reshoots. Comparisons to other films. All of it. I don’t have to like a film to like talking about a film. Are we required to like a film to discuss it?

You don't have to like the film. But you don't have to say you don't like the movie every time you talk about it if your discussing the marketing, tracking, reshoots, etc. 

You can like repeat stuff when in an active discussion to prove a point. Its just when the discussion repeats itself every time that it gets tiresome. Like if every post you make on the movie is the same thing...well time to find something new to discuss.

We aren't trying to make people be negative or positive towards a movie. But just have the point be made then move on without it getting personal.

14 minutes ago, Eric Sionis said:

besides this site & reddit, haven't really found many box office sites that are this active. (maybe world of kj but I don't think its anywhere as active is this one). 

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

besides this site & reddit, haven't really found many box office sites that are this active. (maybe world of kj but I don't think its anywhere as active is this one). 

Pretty much every movie forum I've ever been on has either a box office thread or people talking about individual films' box office potential.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

That's bad idea IMO. It's better to contain an evil somewhere than force it down to close. It will bounce back.

Its decisively gotten worse over time since the threads creation. For those of us that have been here since day 1 this is a very different forum (and not necessarily for the better.) 

Part of the issue is the fact that franchises have become king, the other factor is that the worst of internet behavior wraps itself up in the franchise crap and they are not happy keeping it in the one spot. 

Not sure what more the mods can do at this point and my ignore list has gotten ridiculous the last year or so. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4