stealthyfrog

Borderlands | Lionsgate | Eli Roth to direct | Cate Blanchett is Lilith

36 minutes ago, Driver said:

Supposedly Roth shot the Mazin script.

5 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I remember somebody said Roth rewrote Mazin's script and ruined it.

cross-eyed-spongebob-meme-30q1jt.jpg

I genuinely want a movie just about the production of this movie. I really want to know how we got from Craig Mazin to Eli Roth to Tim Miller to 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. I need the trade exposé yesterday.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

I was gonna go see Fly Me To the Moon tonight but i've just found out it's an Apple movie so I can watch it at home for free soon.

so i'm instead gonna go see borderlands in half an hour. my curiosity has got the better of me.

:Venom:

I'm tempted to be in the same camp. This is a wild feat in the worst way. I want to see how a studio has this cast and crew, and manages to make something so bland. A film like Morbius was understandable, but this cast and crew should not be attached to something like this. It screams of a "one for them, one for me" project.

Well. I actually enjoyed this. It’s a decent 90 minutes of goofy videogame B-movie schlock.

With the obvious caveat of the 12A/PG13 rating, it actually feels authentic to the vibe of the game. The action is very silly and unrealistic which is exactly like the game. Its  basically a cartoon. The dumb dialogue doesn’t feel out of place. 

It’s upbeat and although my showing wasn’t busy, there was lots of laughing throughout the film. Claptrap is a hateful little shit with the dumbest mf’ing jokes.

Also, Jamie Lee Curtis is really bad.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

cross-eyed-spongebob-meme-30q1jt.jpg

I genuinely want a movie just about the production of this movie. I really want to know how we got from Craig Mazin to Eli Roth to Tim Miller to 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. I need the trade exposé yesterday.

Thng about Mazin is that , looking at his resume, you never know what you are going to get with him. "Chernobly" is one of the best things I ever seen on TV, but he has done a lot of absolute crap also.

So I would like to see that first script for Borderlands before saying it was a great script.

But that Mazin had his name taken off the film is not a good sign..givne some of the crap his has allowed his name to be used on.

But, yeah , the story of how this happened would be interesting.

It had a lot of red flags all over it early in post production, though. It is Never a good sign when a film is on the shelf as long as this one was. No one shold be surprised it is turning out to be a POS.

And, like every crappy movie ever made, it has it defenders, though at times I wonder if they really think it is good or they are just trying to be edgy and cool by being contrarian...a gimmick which lost whatever value it has a long time ago.

As for Grace..somebody said she was a brilliant humorist that most people did not get. All I can say is her humor is so briliant I forgot to laugh.

But if you are cute blond you are going to find some defenders. In fact, I think Grace;s whole career is based on that:

'Look at Me, I am a cute blond who is really into geeky stuff".

Ihaven ot seen she has much more to offer then that.

23 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Lionsgate continues to Lionsgate.

They have never been the same since their whole selling off the regional rights to the film business model  stopped working.

Thye are no longer shielded from having to pay for their mistakes the way they once were.

Selling off the regional rights covered most of their production costs at the expnese of lesser profits, but it stopped owrking when distributors got wise to the tactic and stopped buying the regional rights.

13 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Fant4stic ( 2015 ) has a higher Tomatometer than this, and also has more reviews than this one. Wow!!!

Is this the Battlefield Earth of the games? 

This is way better than trankastic. This is an actual finished film, for one thing.

Lionsgate - we spent $30M on P&A for this film

So Lionsgate claims they spent roughly 10M marketing this film prior to June 2024 (and some more in 2022) and then only spent 20 million in the 2 months prior to release?

Liar Liar GIF by Gogglebox Australia

Unless there was a 10 figure marketing campaign for The Crow in June 2024 that I was completely unaware of.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

10 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

So Lionsgate claims they spent roughly 10M marketing this film prior to June 2024 (and some more in 2022) and then only spent 20 million in the 2 months prior to release?

Liar Liar GIF by Gogglebox Australia

Unless there was a 10 figure marketing campaign for The Crow in June 2024 that I was completely unaware of.

Yeah, that is wierd.

Lionsgate was right in not spending a dime more then the minimum or marketing for this turkey. When you are aware you have a stinker on your hands, and clear the Lionsgate did, you cut your losses and don't add to the ren ink by trying to save it when that seems hopeless. Don;t know why they are lying about this, it's is standard SOP in the film business when you think you have a bomb at your hands (the exception is where you have spent so much on a film that you have to try to save it. Borderlands does not fall into that territory).

And I got a feeling that Lionsgate witt have another big fail with The Crow.

Not a good summer for them at all.

Edited by dudalb

Netflix just greenlit a streaming series based on the Bioshock franchise a few years after a failed attempt to make a live action thereatical film out of it.

More proof that liva ction video games based series  seem to be hot, live action video game movies are not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Why? Why dump even more advertising money on this thing?

It's called "being stupid and throwing good money down the drain".

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1