cheesypoofs

Scream | January 14, 2022 | Profit of $56.7M

I think the big difference between this one and 4 is that Weinstein (once they branched off into their own studio away from the Miramax's "golden age" - quotations because a number of those movies from that era and the later Weinstein Co. one, in particular the ones that won awards, carry something of a stench to them now knowing what that monster was doing the whole time as he had the industry under his spell) was having problems even in 2011 six years before their troubled final days of money problems and constantly delaying movies right before Harvey's overdue downfall and wasn't really capable of selling anything that wasn't an adult-driven prestige movie. As much as we like to make fun of Paramount and all their apparent woes these days, they're still a major studio that has successfully put out a variety of successful product across genres over the decades and know how to sell a movie they have faith in. 

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 4

The horror landscape is vastly different now than it was in 2011. The Nightmare on Elm Street reboot didn't take off, F13 2009 collapsed with legs. Paranormal Activity was the big franchise. Insidious was 2011's highest grossing horror with 54m.

I'll see this sometime next week. Rankings: 1 (classic) > 2 (not as fresh but still a dozen terrific sequences) > 4 (need rewatch because I remember it being corny and overdone) > 3 (bad)

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

Ah, so it's about how extreme fandom is a mistake and does almost nothing but cause misery for viewers, creators, and franchises under the guise of the next generations now being trapped in a legacy sequel of their own making. Not everything works, but I cannot deny it's a Scream film.

I don't think it's as sharply pointed (lol) as any of the Kevin Williamson scripts, 'nor is it as charming as any of the Wes Craven directed films, but a fifth film in a franchise about a guy in a halloween costume chasing someone up the stairs should not be this solid. The opening and the third act are great, while the rest has some great things but also not as consistent of a stab (lol) at the themes the film is tackling.

Wouldn't mind another one. Hopefully one that can build on both the themes and the surviving characters of this.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Really enjoyed this, I’d probably put it below the first two but about on par with 4.

Spoiler

When Skeet showed up I legit gasped! 

The “For Wes” dedication was lovely too. 

While I’d be happy to see another Scream 6 from the same team, I almost hope they leave it a few years, I quite like the idea of a new Scream every decade or so that picks apart the horror trends of the last decade. I’m sure Paramount will be wanting to pump out another a lot sooner than that though, not that I’d be complaining.

• Like 1