cheesypoofs

Scream | January 14, 2022 | Profit of $56.7M

I like this as much as I liked the 4th one, and I really did enjoy that one especially the killers and the motive behind it. I think the reasoning behind the killing this time is perfect with social commentary today. Just like the 4th one the motive was perfect to go with the social commentary back then.

Spoiler

Who else loves that they confirmed Kirby Reed survived? She was in a youtube recommendations as "Woodsboro Survivor" and she was also calling Dewey. I hope this is foreshadowing that she will come back to the series.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 2

It almost feels like a Scream 4 retake but a little less subversive (Scream 4 was ahead of the curve on many things in retrospect) and with motivations/themes updated to reflect the current film sphere climate, which I very much enjoyed. 

Spoiler

I fucking love the villains are basically people who would have signed the remake Star Wars Episode VIII petition. It captures toxic fandom perfectly

There's a couple of aspects that were uneven.

Spoiler

As fantastic as it was to be able to see Skeet Ulrich as young Billy Loomis again, I don't think it worked for me. Maybe a quick flash in the mirror. 

It's not as sharp and witty as Williamson's scripts, it takes itself a bit more seriously and it's less efficient but still some decent chuckles and it takes a really good shot at the meta stuff. It leans a little too heavy on homage for me but I think they managed to show there's still life in the franchise and they did have something to say. They definitely captured the feeling of 'Scream'. 

Supporting characters felt more like an amalgamation rather than distinct individuals which made the whodunnit aspect a little less exciting than other entries. 

The main characters fared really strong for me. They took real effort to give them depth and a proper story and that's where the film really holds up.  Arquette is especially fantastic as worn out Dewey here. It's the perfect mix of funny, charming, melancholic and sad. 

Ghostface hit that balance between being brutal and fallible in this one. There were some really sweet kills. 

Overall it is a solid entry into the franchise.  

It plays it a little safe and doesn't offer that much new outside of contemporary commentary but it manages to have fun while doing so and doesn't skimp on proper characterization for the central cast. 

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 1

They've been really hesitant with slapping a certified fresh on this one over at RT lmao. 182 reviews in at 76% and they still won't do it just in case it dips. At this point they should get it over with, the average rating is strong enough and the flood of reviews has slowed down.

• Like 2

Did anyone else get a trailer for the Lionsgate exorcism film The Devil’s Light?  

I got it and it’s the first I’ve seen of it, had the Feb 25th date. I knew it was on the schedule, but just checked Twitter and there is literally not a single tweet about it. 

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

They've been really hesitant with slapping a certified fresh on this one over at RT lmao. 182 reviews in at 76% and they still won't do it just in case it dips. At this point they should get it over with, the average rating is strong enough and the flood of reviews has slowed down.

Yeah I'm surprised it hasn't gotten certified fresh yet. What's taking so long. 

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Did anyone else get a trailer for the Lionsgate exorcism film The Devil’s Light?  

I got it and it’s the first I’ve seen of it, had the Feb 25th date. I knew it was on the schedule, but just checked Twitter and there is literally not a single tweet about it. 

It's still a theaters-only trailer, it first started hitting circulation sometime in October. I got it in front of Antlers and haven't seen it since.

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2022 at 6:37 PM, Krissykins said:

Portuguese distributor uploaded the trailer on December 28 on their Youtube channel. It is this, right?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Portuguese distributor uploaded the trailer on December 28 on their Youtube channel. It is this, right?

That’s it! Thanks, I got it again on Sunday. 

I couldn’t see any tweets about it at all. Trailer still had the “in cinemas February 25th” on it too. Strange! 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That’s it! Thanks, I got it again on Sunday. 

I couldn’t see any tweets about it at all. Trailer still had the “in cinemas February 25th” on it too. Strange! 

They are also selling that date here, but the official Facebook page of the movie in America has no info at all, not even a logo!

https://www.facebook.com/TheDevilsLight/

On 1/15/2022 at 1:37 PM, Krissykins said:

I got it before my showing yesterday.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2022 at 7:37 PM, Krissykins said:

I can't help much because I couldn't find a release date for Germany so far but there must have been some kind of buzz not long ago. I never heard of this film until it appeared ca. 2 weeks ago on the Most Anticipated Movies list of thenumbers. And it stayed there till today. Probably because of people like me wondering what The Devil's Light could mean 😉.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1

This was a fucking blast. Just so much fun and so damn bloody. The Scream movies are really violent but not scary at all - not a knock against it at all.

The cast was great, with Jasmin Savoy Brown (Mindy) and Mikey Madison (Amber) being the MVPs of this film. The former was fucking hysterical and the latter was just fantastic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

This was a fucking blast. Just so much fun and so damn bloody. The Scream movies are really violent but not scary at all - not a knock against it at all.

The cast was great, with Jasmin Savoy Brown (Mindy) and Mikey Madison (Amber) being the MVPs of this film. The former was fucking hysterical and the latter was just fantastic.

I’m glad you enjoyed it. 

It’s so hard to discuss without spoilers. 

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’m glad you enjoyed it. 

It’s so hard to discuss without spoilers. 

Yeah there were some things in the movie i definetly did not expect, but they were all handeled in a very competent way that elevated the movie.

• Like 1