Eric Duncan

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

13 minutes ago, Eric Riley said:

When was the last time this kind of parental backlash happened to anything? Like with Call of Duty 10 years ago?

I just remember that it happened with TDK, and everything I’ve been hearing about this movie makes it sound like it’ll be much edgier than that. Of course, that was 14 years ago, so maybe parents have lightened up since then. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eric Riley said:

When was the last time this kind of parental backlash happened to anything? Like with Call of Duty 10 years ago?

Shazam!, to a small degree.  Or at least there was some amount of backlash/discussion to it being a "darker" film than some were expecting from WOM/advertizing.

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

#ReleaseTheRCut

Lol the edgelords on twitter complaining about a PG-13 Batman movie.   As long as WB feels they can make a lot of money on Batman, they're never going to make it an R.  Zack Snyder's 4-hour wankfest only got away with it because it was a streaming release.

Kids love the Batman, and Warners are not going throw away that market and it's stupid to pretend otherwise. I don't think they, or the director, ever seriously considered making it a R rated film.

DC..and Marvel might allow a R rating for some other charecters, like Deadpool  but not one of the cash cows like Batman and Spidey.

As usual, it's all about the Benjies.

BTW I gave up trying to figure out the logic behind MPAA decisions anyway.

And the MPAA has as much power are the studios choose to give it. The studios are never going to allow it to become another Hays office.

In the DVDs of "Batman :The Animated Series:" Bruce Timm in the interviews and  commentaries talks about  skating the edge of what he could get away with in the way of violence and blood in an antimated series that had a large kid viewership. I suspect the same kind of calculation took place with this film.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wintersoldier2021 said:

avi arad is that you?

Hey, that the way every exec in Hollywood thinks. No love for Ari Arad, but in this he was no differenet then any other exec

You won't be seeing  this film because it does not fit in with what your personal vision of what a Batman movie should be, so why do you care?

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Shazam!, to a small degree.  Or at least there was some amount of backlash/discussion to it being a "darker" film than some were expecting from WOM/advertizing.

I think the only really dark thing about Shazam was the relationship between BIlly and his mother, and by today's standards that was not that dark.

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There was literally no universe where the movie would be anything other than PG-13. Anything else is PR spin for people who think everything should be R.

100% agree. No way was Warner's ever going to throw away all that money from kids who love Batsy. To think otherwise was to live in La La Land.

I like Patterson as an actor, but his tweet sounds like pure PR spin.

The Batman could make Petterson into a huge star, and he is going to be a good soldier for Warners on this.

Edited by dudalb

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

What about the opening scene and the boardroom scene? 

No worse in terms of violence then many scenes in Comic Book movies.

But a mother abadnoing her kid..that is emotinally pretty dark and I could see that being hard for some kids to handle.

9 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m glad the movie is PG-13 (although I knew it was never going to be rated R), but if anything, I’m actually curious if this movie will face some backlash for being too intense for kids. 

TDK really pushed the edge when that came out. And, it still is just PG-13 in name only

• Like 1