Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

19 minutes ago, John Marston said:

No but that’s not the audience you rely on for superhero films 

Of course but Keaton could help bring in an older audience. I’m not saying he will or won’t but if I had to guess and if the movie is well received it should help. 

Edited by cax16

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

I’m sure there’s people who feel the same way. It will be interesting to see reactions to this cause apparently it’s tested extremely well.

There is also a danger of over-hype/too-high expectations.

I do think the "OMG1!1! BEST TESTED DC CBM EVAR" gossiping haven't quite broken through all of the Ezra Miller controversy.  At the same time I do think there is a real danger here of impossible to meet expectations setting in with some.

Hype can be a two edged sword, in other words.  If something is "merely" very good, or even "just" good, then it can seem bad in retrospect if someone was expecting so much more.

(this is your regularly scheduled reminder that Unrestrained Hype Leads to the Dark Side)

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

But will some critics let Millers real life behaviour influence their reviews. I’m not saying what’s right or wrong, just curious to see what happens. 

Well, even in the age of ChatGPT, critics are human.  Even of the best of them can get somewhat influenced by what colleagues they respect say and do.  Art isn't performed in a vacuum and neither is commentary. It's not bias; just being human.  

Now I don't think many critics will go in with an agenda, as that's highly unprofessional.  But would they react to this film exactly the same way as if Ezra Miller wasn't involved in controversy?  I am... skeptical.  I can see an added level of "show me" being involved, even if it's limited to a subconscious level.

That being said, I do think the vast majority of critics will push their personal feelings about Ezra Miller to the side when it comes to giving their thoughts about this movie.  They are professionals, after all.

There are no impossible to meet expectations. If the movie delivers on being a crowdpleaser, then people will like it. If critics would be so blinded by their personal feelings on Ezra Miller that they’d give the movie a negative review no matter what, then they shouldn’t be watching it to begin with. 

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

There is also a danger of over-hype/too-high expectations.

I do think the "OMG1!1! BEST TESTED DC CBM EVAR" gossiping haven't quite broken through all of the Ezra Miller controversy.  At the same time I do think there is a real danger here of impossible to meet expectations setting in with some.

Hype can be a two edged sword, in other words.  If something is "merely" very good, or even "just" good, then it can seem bad in retrospect if someone was expecting so much more.

(this is your regularly scheduled reminder that Unrestrained Hype Leads to the Dark Side)

Well, even in the age of ChatGPT, critics are human.  Even of the best of them can get somewhat influenced by what colleagues they respect say and do.  Art isn't performed in a vacuum and neither is commentary. It's not bias; just being human.  

Now I don't think many critics will go in with an agenda, as that's highly unprofessional.  But would they react to this film exactly the same way as if Ezra Miller wasn't involved in controversy?  I am... skeptical.  I can see an added level of "show me" being involved, even if it's limited to a subconscious level.

That being said, I do think the vast majority of critics will push their personal feelings about Ezra Miller to the side when it comes to giving their thoughts about this movie.  They are professionals, after all.

Agreed on this part and I think we may be reaching that point tbh cause of what people are saying online. The good news is most of the general audience isn’t online so they can just go in blind and “if” the movie gets good reviews and a good score on RT that should only help bringing in people who are skeptical. I’m not expecting a huge box office but I’d like to see 600m.

With regards to the critics as I was saying before I’m not judging anyone on what they do. Ezra has to live with what they’ve done and if it reaches the level that the movie has some backlash then so be it. 

• Like 2

There is literally no way anything else could derail or undermine this movie aside from lackluster marketing.

- Ezra's past scandals are in the rearview mirror 

- Nobody knows or cares outside of those following it on the internet 

- They seem to be undergoing treatment and staying out of trouble

35 minutes ago, JWR said:

There is literally no way anything else could derail or undermine this movie aside from lackluster marketing.

- Ezra's past scandals are in the rearview mirror 

- Nobody knows or cares outside of those following it on the internet 

- They seem to be undergoing treatment and staying out of trouble

not necessarily. The media could start ramping up the stories again as the movie gears up for release. Ezra also feeling miscast in this role and being more obnoxious than endearing could also be a negative factor 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, John Marston said:

not necessarily. The media could start ramping up the stories again as the movie gears up for release. Ezra also feeling miscast in this role and being more obnoxious than endearing could also be a negative factor 

Only if Ezra can't stay out of the headlines.