Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

3 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

The cinemacon news really convinced me but this reduces my confidence. It's a weird combination of too on the noise (clear subtext is "Top Gun Maverick star declares Flash to be the next Top Gun Maverick") and completely off the record. There's not even the pretense of a rote "Cruise/director of Flash did not comment when asked." 

WB clearly thinks they have a crowd-pleasing hit on their hands, but this makes me suspect they're trying too hard to gin up a pre-release whisper campaign about the film's quality because of how successfully Top Gun: Maverick was able to leverage one (given that initial screenings happened pre-pandemic and Maverick genuinely was the most crowd pleasing blockbuster of the decade).

Are we supposed to be 100% confident this happened as depicted because "an insider" said it as part of the film's marketing campaign?

This feels like it would be so easy for Cruise to disprove or deny, though. And this is far from the first sign or hint of buzz that the movie is great. The timing is hysterical though

Just now, GOGODanca said:

The movie probably is great but to put out this article claming the biggest movie star in the world was asking to see the movie and declared it a cinematic savior just screams misdirection to take attention away from Shazam 2

I doubt Cruise would agree to this article just to take away attention from Shazam 2 flopping. I'm sure they release this news strategically today, but let's not forget what's important: The Flash is great!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

I doubt Cruise would agree to this article just to take away attention from Shazam 2 flopping. I'm sure they release this news strategically today, but let's not forget what's important: The Flash is great!

who says they asked cruise? All the article says is that insiders told them he loved the movie and cruise isn't gonna bother to retort, hell there are 2 separate claims out there about why he skipped the oscars (to avoid nicole kidman and he thought judd apatow was writing kimmels jokes) and he didn't clarify or say anything about them either

2 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

who says they asked cruise? All the article says is that insiders told them he loved the movie and cruise isn't gonna bother to retort, hell there are 2 separate claims out there about why he skipped the oscars (to avoid nicole kidman and he thought judd apatow was writing kimmels jokes) and he didn't clarify or say anything about them either

You think the article is made up? You are right, Cruise would not say anything even if the article is made up. It's not his style in the last decades to respond to gossip. Plus it would put him in a bad position with WB

Edited by Maggie

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

You think the article is made up? You are right, Cruise would not say anything even if the article is made up. It's not his style in the last decades to respond to gossip. Plus it would put him in a bad position with WB

I think wb put out some bs to THR and they ran with it like a good trade does, i'm sure the movie is great, they are confident in it but this just seems like fanfiction

• Like 2

>Now it has fan outside the studio walls in actor, superstar and cinema-saver Tom Cruise.

Why is Cruise getting all the credit? surely the whole saving cinemas was more of a group effort, and by may 2022 most had already returned

10 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Doubt Cruise would be ok with some studio using him to promote their new movie. He's likely to leave Paramount after MI and it's possible his first post-MI movie will be for one of Universal or Warner Bros.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

What made me pause is that i just remembered this article. https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/1/0nhtzg5h6fyzs8jm1z05egj11n6pxf   

why would cruise help out james gunn when gunn dissed him? 

gunn meant cruise was too old, not that he's neither comedic or dramatic - the latter 2 he meant in regard to finding a young actor who fit those 2 values

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

This feels like it would be so easy for Cruise to disprove or deny, though. And this is far from the first sign or hint of buzz that the movie is great. The timing is hysterical though

Cruise was probably given the screener as depicted but the implicit narrative in this line "It was a call out of the blue for the director. Cruise is said to have raved about the movie" is obviously bullshit. WB is shocked, shocked, to get pull quotes to advertise a film from a marketing stunt. WB only has stuff to work with because Tom Cruise was intrinsically compelled to call the director. The timing/stunt nature of this is just so hysterically overt as to retroactively call prior claims into question. Perhaps that's an overreaction but I don't think you can read something like this too skeptically. 

At bare minimum, this seems like a good, crowdpleasing movie. The simplest assumption is that Cruise was given a screener, genuinely liked it, and gave genuine quasi-on the record praise to the director that everyone knew would be excerpted for marketing. The actual pull quotes are both consistent with an 8/10 review and an 11/10 "give this film a best picture nomination for being such an amazing action movie" review (and WB is really pushing the latter interpretation).

For Cruise to contest this, you'd need an active step to spark a big, public fight for no personal benefit. Even something as baldfaced as the lie about Momoa's Frosty the Snowman didn't prompt an immediate slapdown. 

16 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

I think wb put out some bs to THR and they ran with it like a good trade does, i'm sure the movie is great, they are confident in it but this just seems like fanfiction

I kinda doubt WB would put out this article without the ok from cruise. why would they blindside him like that? i'm pretty sure they still want a working rship with him

oh shit...thanks for reminding me about the jason momoa and frosty stuff. hmmmm

Edited by Maggie

16 minutes ago, Maggie said:

My response is more along the lines of Charlie Cale in pokerface. poker-face-bullshit.gif 

I don't know what exactly is true and false in the story, but it's obviously an intentionally dishonest story dropped to change the narrative away from Shazam. I don't know if 80% of it is true or 5% of it is true, but it just screams out "bullshit."