Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

16 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Lol nobody saw Shazam 2 so how would kill anything 

It did so unbelievably poorly it almost looks looks like a major breaking point because I can't recall a big budget DC/Marvel movie that did around 100 mln worldwide (minus some movies that didn't have a proper release because of Covid) since Catwoman days.

Edited by Firepower

7 minutes ago, Ohana said:

True!
I don't know, I feel like The Flash is gonna be something special
Wonder Woman 2017 was also tracking around 65M 3 weeks before it launched. 

True. And the same release date at well. 

12 minutes ago, Firepower said:

It did so unbelievably poorly it almost looks looks like a major breaking point because I can't recall a big budget DC/Marvel movie that did around 100 mln worldwide (minus some movies that didn't have a proper release because of Covid) since Catwoman days.

Nobody cares about how poorly it did outside of boxoffice nerds, the movies that did the real damage are the ones who started big with massive hype like BvS and Justice League, and failed to deliver.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It's pretty dumb to say anything "killed" DC when they are the second highest grossing franchise property of the last 20+ years behind only Marvel.  You compare DC to Marvel and some of the numbers aren't good,  you compare DC to every other thing coming out of Hollywood and they look like pure gold. 

• Like 3

Moderation

@Jeight has been threadbanned for 24 hours for defending an abuser for some petty Marvel vs. DC bull crap.

Speaking of, we’re done with this “Blank killed DC” crap too. You guys know DC isnt “dead” whatsoever, and are clearly just doing this to start a fight, especially y’all being coy with Zack Snyder, and it’s not funny. You all know this is going to end badly, it has been for years and years, so is it worth doing all this to make fun of some silly kids movies? No. So please do me a favor and act like adults.

• Thanks 4
  • Knock It Off 3

41 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

Respectfully - and this is my opinion - all your agendas about DCEU will collapse come opening weekend when this movie opens huge.

Sure, there are some fanboys here who are or will revel in a poor DCEU performance, but mostly its just a bunch of nerds who want to show how smart they are by making accurate forecasts. We're not always right, but if you think there is any major agenda besides accuracy, you are mistaken

Respectfully: stop projecting

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

It's pretty dumb to say anything "killed" DC when they are the second highest grossing franchise property of the last 20+ years behind only Marvel.  You compare DC to Marvel and some of the numbers aren't good,  you compare DC to every other thing coming out of Hollywood and they look like pure gold. 

LMAO.

Can I interest you on some Avatar or Star Wars? This isn’t Marvel x DC comic book rivalry, claiming that DC is the highest grossing second only to Marvel when it comes to films is a stretch and a disservice to what DC Studios can actually achieve from now on. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Yes, it did do poorly. But for unique reasons:

1. Even among people who liked the first Shazam movie, I don't think there was a lot of clamor for a sequel. The novelty of "Big with Superheroes" was no longer there. The lackluster reviews were the final nail in the coffin. 

2. The character of Shazam had no subsequent appearances past his first movie so there was almost nothing to keep him in audience purview. And unlike The Flash, Shazam is not well known enough among mainstream audiences to makeup for his lack of appearances. 

3. March was super crowded. Older teens went to John Wick 4 or Scream 6. Families just waited until Mario or just saw Puss in Boots. 

But even putting that aside, the failure of Shazam 2 has no bearing on The Flash. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JWR said:

1. Even among people who liked the first Shazam movie, I don't think there was a lot of clamor for a sequel. The novelty of "Big with Superheroes" was no longer there. The lackluster reviews were the final nail in the coffin. 

2. The character of Shazam had no subsequent appearances past his first movie so there was almost nothing to keep him in audience purview. And unlike The Flash, Shazam is not well known enough among mainstream audiences to makeup for his lack of appearances. 

3. March was super crowded. Older teens went to John Wick 4 or Scream 6. Families just waited until Mario or just saw Puss in Boots. 

But even putting that aside, the failure of Shazam 2 has no bearing on The Flash. 

That I agree with. Shazam failing didn’t hurt me because I didn’t even watched. Now The Suicide Squad it hurts to this day. Best DC film since TDK.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YSLDC said:

I respect the data but I find it hard to believe that a Flash movie (he's a Justice League member) with 2 Batmens and a lot of cameos will only open 20-30 million above Black Adam. 100 million sounds too low.

I remember that people said Black Adam will open slightly above Morbius based on data couple of weeks before release. But then the pre sales pace got better. The same can happen for The Flash.

The "he's a JL member so this film can't open to 100M or less" is a very bizarre argument considering the actual JL film...quite literally did fail to open to 100M

That said I'm not sure if Flash can recover off its pre-sale start to 100M+ (hopefully it does if it's good) but I definitely am sure it can't recover to 150M+. You don't get 150M+ opening even if it trends like JWD from here!! It's just not feasible.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

The "he's a JL member so this film can't open to 100M or less" is a very bizarre argument considering the actual JL film...quite literally did fail to open to 100M

That said I'm not sure if Flash can recover off its pre-sale start to 100M+ (hopefully it does if it's good) but I definitely am sure it can't recover to 150M+. You don't get 150M+ opening even if it trends like JWD from here!! It's just not feasible.

Would frankly need a Minions-like TikTok trend, where teens are going in suits to see "The Best Comic Movie of All Time" or something

you're welcome for the free idea WB marketing team

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Last Man Standing said:

Nobody cares about how poorly it did outside of boxoffice nerds, the movies that did the real damage are the ones who started big with massive hype like BvS and Justice League, and failed to deliver.

Aquaman did 1.1 bln after BvS and Justice League though.

12 hours ago, cax16 said:

Honestly people can try and play this game how they want this movie to flop cause of Ezra and that’s their right but let’s not pretend the majority of you weren’t there opening night watching IW and EG which starred Brolin who is an abuser and has been arrested many times. So whatever, don’t watch the movie but get off your high horse. There’s a bunch of garbage people in Hollywood, what’s new?

I only hope everyone has the same energy if they don’t recast Majors. 

I am one for allowing the legal system to play out, but one had active warrants for multiple felonies ranging from child grooming to holding a woman at gun point while the other one is awaiting trial for a domestic violence case of which the public has no details. Those two are not the same. I agree with you on Josh Brolin, though. Nevertheless, people on the have always been hypocritical and are only sanctimonious when it is convenient 

28 minutes ago, JWR said:

And still it wasn't supposed to perform that poorly, even Birds of Prey did much better. This is Catwoman result without Covid/streaming release excuse.

Edited by Firepower

11 minutes ago, M37 said:

Would frankly need a Minions-like TikTok trend, where teens are going in suits to see "The Best Comic Movie of All Time" or something

you're welcome for the free idea WB marketing team

Everyone dressed in Batman costumes to play off the memes about all men being batman. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

LMAO.

Can I interest you on some Avatar or Star Wars? This isn’t Marvel x DC comic book rivalry, claiming that DC is the highest grossing second only to Marvel when it comes to films is a stretch and a disservice to what DC Studios can actually achieve from now on. 

Hey man show us the number verifying that the 2 Avatar films have grossed more than all the DC films for the past 20 years.

12 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Aquaman did 1.1 bln after BvS and Justice League though.

I think there is a big difference between "the brand is damaged" and "no film from this brand can be a hit" which people can't seem to separate - Aquaman was a big crowdpleaser that was really able to swim (pun intended) among the empty christmas period, and was helped by a massive China turnout as well, but its opening was nothing incredible, not even for christmas (hell, if flash opened like aquaman I'm pretty sure people would go insane in the weekend thread)

Brand power isn't necessarily reflected in the film's total but it is most certainly reflected in the opening, and honestly, I'd say even more reflected in the immediate presale burst: the big fans are the ones that come out immediately!

...but that doesn't mean that a film can't leg out if it has great WOM and a favorable slate, damaged brand or not (flash could have the former, certainly not the latter though, as this summer is a slaughterfest, so its WOM better be damn fucking good).

It does mean that the brand will struggle to bring out a massive amount of people on OW though, and it clearly is, so...yeah.

tl;dr brand damaged yes, guaranteed flop no

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 6