Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

I don't need to focus on my own dislike of this movie-- though I loved one film that Flash certainly feels indebted to (Endgame), and appreciated pieces of the other (No Way Home) a lot more after watching how much this film didn't work. But I will just share per my DC Fan Screening last night that I really don't think this is the huge crowd-pleasing word of mouth hit that it's been made out to be for the past few months. The Batman '89 nods and a few cameos near the end were the only thing to get any amount of reaction or applause-- the only reaction the movie got from a story or set-piece perspective was a fun sequence in the opening of the movie. Its fan service and cameos exist exclusively on a Leo pointing meme/guest star on a sitcom level of depth. Nothing here makes a fraction of the emotional sense as the use of Tobey and Andrew in NWH, and I'd already thought NWH's plot felt like it was written on a cocktail napkin. Even worse, the references this movie makes to other pieces of DC lore feels much more niche and exclusive to hardcore fans than stuff in the MCU does. Even Spider-Verse, which obviously pulls from the deepest bench of comic lore imaginable, does it in a comedic way that doesn't expect the view to do the rest of the homework themselves. As somebody who's followed all the DCEU chaos this last year (as well as the past eight), I felt so confused about what iteration of this universe we would exist in after this movie. Without spoiling, an audience member at the end of the post-credits scene yelled "THAT'S IT?" - and again, this was a DC Fan Screening event. There are likable jokes and moments throughout, but I have to imagine a walkup summer moviegoer just feeling deeply confused and fatigued by this movie. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 6

Black Adam opened with $67M.

Flash - being marketed as “one of the best ever, with 2 Batman and Supergirl and endless cameos etc etc - opening in the same range would be a total failure.

I’d be shocked of anything under $100/90M for a big budget superhero flick like this.

Batman 89was a cultural behemoth for it's time and never translated much beyond like Indy, jurrassic park ,starwars etc....

Even the raimi spiderman trilogy currently has a stronger cultural imprint.( Just look at NWH)

Yeah there were not as crazy for it OS like stateside.

Yeah we have TDK vs 89 debate  . Some don't want to hear this but TDK was a global pop cultural phenomenon and 89 never  quite reached that. 

If Christian bale Batman was heavily involved in this , it would have it attracted more buzz and probably made more at the box office .

Put Batman 89 the same category as Ghostbusters . Absolutely massive for their time but today their imprint is not as big as you would expect.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mulder said:

The Batman could've done better, but it still did 700 million. That's a pretty big number.

it actually did $770M and that was in  45 days essentially because of it going to HBO Max right after. If they just did a straight theatrical release it probably could have did a lot more. I personally know quite a few people who just waited the six weeks who otherwise would have gone at some point to see it.  

Also, Joker came out in 2019 and did over a billion on a $70M budget.  @El Gato and others are inaccurate in their assessment that the DC brand can no longer produce numbers.  

If the argument is "reboot the DCEU" that's exactly what they are doing with the Superman movie.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

Gunn is really committed to the bit...

Gunn is playing a completely different game now. One that I’m excited to see him playing but one that he is completely fresh working. I’m actually interested on seeing him playing more of a Kevin Feige figure, even more so with the upcoming releases Superman Legacy forward.

• Like 1

I've never seen so much insane discourse and crazy arguments relative to the actual box office success and cultural imprint of movies than the DC Universe since Man of Steel. It's just totally nuts. Makes every other franchise look positively hinged.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

I've never seen so much insane discourse and crazy arguments relative to the actual box office success and cultural imprint of movies than the DC Universe since Man of Steel. It's just totally nuts. Makes every other franchise look positively hinged.

At this point i hope gunn just plays it safe with the reboot 

• Like 1

It's kinda wild to think that, since the Superman screentests are happening this weekend, we'll probably receive news about who Gunn's Superman is immediately after this film's opening weekend box office is revealed.  

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

BvS and JL were much worse in terms of discourse on the forum

1 minute ago, Into the Legion-Verse said:

I mean, TASM3 probably outgrosses a pure Keaton bat solo legacyquel by a healthy amount?

I would actually put money on that happening. Me and Andrew Garfield led Spider-Man films, we have a history. Also just let Garfield be the Spider-Man of the Sony-Verse and let Tom for us in the MCU. Everybody wins.