Eric Lasagna

Twisters | Uni/WB | July 19, 2024 | A remake (?) to the 1996 classic

I wouldn't be that concerned if hype feels cool at the moment; we're three months out from the release with at least half a dozen blockbusters opening between now and then, including two from Universal that are gonna take up a lot of their time in marketing. Heck, at this time last year Barbie didn't even have a full trailer yet. 

I think Monkey Man established that well enough. They are pretty much worthless for the aim of generating extra revenue but I'll take the early footage where I get it.

There's not much to talk about right now re twisters beyond that inane discourse about whether it's a sequel or reboot. All I can say is if it does bring the entertainment goods I still think it'll be a solid hit.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Yeah this movie is 3 months away. There a lots of movies coming out between now and then.  This movie not having much buzz with the GA right now is not a concern. Now on July 5th or so if the buzz is still not there.  Then yeah that will be a concern.  

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 7:43 AM, emoviefan said:

She's not playing the Helen Hunt character any more than Glen Powell is playing the Paxton. Nothing in the marketing and first trailer even suggests that. I think that person that he is talking  about is  kind full of shit or they feel that the structure of the plot makes it feel like a remake rather than  outright  be one.

Sounds like what the writer meant  was it is pretty much the same plot as the original but with differnet charecters.  Sort of a Semi remake I guess.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Just realized I've never seen Twister even though I have it in an unopened Bluray for like 10 years. Twisters is finally going to make me see Twister.

Twister is an awesome 1990s popcorn disaster flick. Like ARMAGEDDON and ID4, it is flawless for what it is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There's a full trailer for this playing before The Fall Guy. Guessing it gets released online Monday or Tuesday.

Interesting I wonder if they did not put it online due to the outbreaks this week because that would seem insensitive. Seems likely.

On 4/20/2024 at 6:36 PM, excel1 said:

This film might be awesome but if it can't figure out what it is relative to the 1996 film, it is going to get a reputation as confused.

Yeah, as dumb or insignificant is it may seem, this "I don't even understand what this is" kind of thing can just smother and utterly kill any interest or excitement before it even has a chance to get going, and if it's really bad you can make it even worse the more you beat the drum about it if it actively annoys or alienates people. I feel Doctor Sleep is an obvious recent example; a lot of people still think The Rescuers Down Under was some side project for Disney like DuckTales The Movie rather than the followup to The Little Mermaid; and in the videogame industry consumers infamously thought "Wii U" was an expensive accessory for their Wii console and not a whole new machine itself.

It's not well remembered, but 20th Century Fox had a bit of a panic when early marketing research for Aliens showed that an alarming amount of people couldn't tell if it was a sequel to Alien or some kind of rerelease. Thus all subsequent ads had a very prominent "THE NEW MOVIE" verbiage and its own distinctive logo. It turned out fine in the end but they were compelled to create a whole separate brand for it rather than treat it as an extension of its predecessor.

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

There's a full trailer for this playing before The Fall Guy. Guessing it gets released online Monday or Tuesday.

I saw this. It very proudly ends with the new and more deadly FIRE TWISTER, hahaha!

Main thing that gives me hope for a quality blockbuster here is Lee Isaac Chung. I know he would be far from the first oscar-nominated director to misfire with his next effort but I just feel he's legit into the concept and has the dramatic chops to craft an engaging human story to go along with it.

Most everything else about this movie's discussion so far just feels like conjecture based on personal affinity (or lack thereof) for the original movie. I think the Independence Day sequel could've been a pretty solid hit if it did actually get a decent critical reception, and the same holds true for this 1996 disaster movie sequel.

On 5/4/2024 at 5:12 PM, emoviefan said:

Interesting I wonder if they did not put it online due to the outbreaks this week because that would seem insensitive. Seems likely.

If that's what stopped them, they better just not release the film, because this is the new normal.

This film isn't like San Andreas, where the destruction in the film feels unrealistic to the point where folks can still have fun with the premise. Tornados are destroying real lives. Right now! This is on CNN's website, right now: https://www.cnn.com/weather/live-news/tornado-storms-forecast-oklahoma-kansas-05-06-24/index.html

7 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

If that's what stopped them, they better just not release the film, because this is the new normal.

This film isn't like San Andreas, where the destruction in the film feels unrealistic to the point where folks can still have fun with the premise. Tornados are destroying real lives. Right now! This is on CNN's website, right now: https://www.cnn.com/weather/live-news/tornado-storms-forecast-oklahoma-kansas-05-06-24/index.html

If a Tornado does do real massive damge with loss of life this film might have a problem: How to seel it witout looking like you are exploiting a real life tragedy.

Tornados are  fun to watch in a movie thereater, they are NOT fun to be in in real l ife.

Posted (edited)

I will say they were probably wise not to repeat the May release date of the original movie (the heart of tornado season), just because social media outrage would be so much more mind numbing these days with the inevitable coincidence of a bad storm making headlines

For the record there were 230+ tornadoes in May 1996 and 170 in May last year, so if people are too sensitive about it now to enjoy a movie, it's because of overexposure to footage, not because they truly are so much more common

Edited by AniNate

50 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I will say they were probably wise not to repeat the May release date of the original movie (the heart of tornado season), just because social media outrage would be so much more mind numbing these days with the inevitable coincidence of a bad storm making headlines

For the record there were 230+ tornadoes in May 1996 and 170 in May last year, so if people are too sensitive about it now to enjoy a movie, it's because of overexposure to footage, not because they truly are so much more common

The problem now isn't so much the amount of them, but the intensity of them.  At least that's the way I understand it, as someone living in a tornado-free (for now) state.