Eric the Ape

Twisters | Uni/WB | July 19, 2024 | A remake (?) to the 1996 classic

Looks fun. like that Glen Powell's character feels more like Cary Elwes in the first movie than Paxton. Powell really has this Tom Cruise type vibe.  Won't be able to wow people with the FX like the original did but San Andreas numbers should be the target. 

Edited by John Marston

This looks every bit as silly as the original was but I'm here for the tornado action and that impeccable cast.

King Powell's charisma is so powerful that even being reduced to reacting to thin air while having wind machines blow in his face is unable to contain it.

• Like 1

You know, there's something to be said about the value of a well-crafted trailer, whether or not it explicitly taps into certain nostalgic hooks.

This, IMO, was in fact a well-crafted trailer.

(that being said, the opening shot of it practically screamed "TWISTER" when it came to Basic Iconography, FWIW)

Doesn't necessarily mean it'll translate into foot traffic as I'm still on skeptical side of the equation.  But I will admit to being more open to the possibility of this finding an audience.  Even in this day and age of streaming, there's still room for Good Old Fashioned DUMB FUN At The Movies, and this just might fit the bill.

In short, what this trailer tried to do was sell the premise of THIS movie and not so much pull a "Hey, remember how much you loved that OLD MOVIE, well here's more of it."  Time will tell if it was successful at that or not. 

• Like 2

Powell's character absolutely seems to have to have the potential to annoy some people. 1980s Cruise would be seen as cringe in 2020s, and Affleck went for the same vibe during Affleck overload in the early 2000s which almost killed his career completely. It is a tight rope to walk. 

5 hours ago, excel1 said:

So they made Powell's Top Gun character a tornado chaser in his spare time. 

Smart move!

Trailer is effective, underlining the right things: good cast + fun factor + many twisters. This should be a strong hit

• Like 1

Yeah, that was a really effective TV spot and trailer. I think what works really well in both cases is that anyone who has seen the original Twister immediately knew what was up, but if you didn't have a base knowledge for the original it still looks like a solid disaster flick with hot people. Powell as a storm chaser is also a pretty perfect usage of his emerging star persona, and this will be releasing a month after Hit Man drops on Netflix, so if that breaks out on there that could help this movie.

Still unsure of where this will land at the box office. If the movie ends up being meh and is unable to build hype in the home stretch it could struggle to make $100M, but if Universal keeps pushing the movie hard and it ends up being a good time at the movies, I could see it being one of the biggest hits of the year. People like a good disaster movie, and i can see this delivering. 

• Like 2

I love the original and not even in a guilty pleasure kind of way. I think Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton really sold that movie. And Jan Debont was on his post Speed high. It was all downhill for him after that. Looking forward to this and hope it delivers in the way the first did. 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Superman only appearing in one quick shot seems like an obvious indication that he (perhaps unsurprisingly) gets sucked up into a tornado very early in the movie.

A scene of the future Superman flying, but not of his own volition, through a tornado would bring the house down.

I think this movie is going to be huge. It's nostalgia, it's Powell, it's dumb dinosaur-type VFX fun that like the Jurassic movies, will be largely review proof. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

That'd make it one of the biggest openings for a disaster movie ever that didn't have either Emmerich, Cameron, or Godzilla involved.

but it is the sequel to a movie that in its time opened as big as any of those.