Eric Duncan

Twisters | Uni/WB | July 19, 2024 | A remake (?) to the 1996 classic

6 hours ago, John Marston said:

Helen Hunt is hosting a screening of the original Twister near me. I didn’t realize she was that washed up 

Not even I am this ruthless, oooooooooooooof.

:hahaha:

15 hours ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

You're so nasty for this, omg...

I can't stop laughing.

Sad but True: Helen Hun'st career seemed to go nowhere after her Oscar win.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

22 minutes ago, Joel M said:

What kind of remake, though? With new characters or is Daisy Edgar Jones re-cast as Helen Hunt's character? The latter one would be just stupid.

She's not playing the Helen Hunt character any more than Glen Powell is playing the Paxton. Nothing in the marketing and first trailer even suggests that. I think that person that he is talking  about is  kind full of shit or they feel that the structure of the plot makes it feel like a remake rather than  outright  be one.

Edited by emoviefan

I can't speak to whether it's a glorified remake of Twister because - to tell ya the truth - I could never finish it.

But I can say that it's tested well and there's a consensus that Powell steals the film blind. Full-on big dick movie star energy on display which - to be fair - can be gathered by the trailer/Super Bowl spot.

Some even thought Daisy Edgar Jones was a straight-up bore in the lead and preferred more of Powell.

8 hours ago, Joel M said:

What kind of remake, though? With new characters or is Daisy Edgar Jones re-cast as Helen Hunt's character? The latter one would be just stupid.

basically, follows the same plot structure as the original, to the point where if they called it anything else they would likely get sued for plagiarism. Absolutely nothing from the original is brought up by any of the characters. There are a couple of differences.

Spoiler

Powell starts off more like the Cary Elwes character from the first before becoming the male co lead and the goal of the characters is not to collect data from tornadoes but to actually "kill" tornadoes. 

Edited by John Marston

This film might be awesome but if it can't figure out what it is relative to the 1996 film, it is going to get a reputation as confused.

Both this and Furiosa missing Fandango's top 10 most anticipated movies of the summer (losing out on spots to, of all movies, The Watchers) seems alarming on first glance, but those polls are always hit and miss in predicting what will land. Mentioned it in that movie's thread but these two are arguably the big wild cards of the summer in that they could either do well or will end up shrugged off and I doubt anyone would be surprised by the outcome. Only time will tell and all that.

I don't know why that poll carries as much weight online as it does. It's clearly influenced by what movies most recently released a trailer when the poll was taken. They also don't release the metrics for determining what movies are "most anticipated". Fandango is pretty much just guessing like everyone else is.

Edited by AniNate

15 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I don't know why that poll carries as much weight online as it does. It's clearly influenced by what movies most recently released a trailer when the poll was taken. They also don't release the metrics for determining what movies are "most anticipated". Fandango is pretty much just guessing like everyone else is.

Yeah anybody could just look at last year's Top 10 ranking and see how little it should even matter.

Ok but putting Fandango polls aside, is there any palpable buzz, hype, or even negativity from people? Even here, a box office forum, the most attention this film has gotten in past few months is making fun of Helen Hunt’s career.

8 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Ok but putting Fandango polls aside, is there any palpable buzz, hype, or even negativity from people? Even here, a box office forum, the most attention this film has gotten in past few months is making fun of Helen Hunt’s career.

she had a good career , she is ancient by Hollywood standards, once you reach a certain age unless you are Helen Mirren or Meryl Streep your career is over

• Like 1