Eric the Ape

Twisters | Uni/WB | July 19, 2024 | A remake (?) to the 1996 classic

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

Disaster movies i find do better in the after market.

They are always shown on tv non stop and do well on streaming services. 

but a movie with Twister in the title. Pedigree says monster blockbuster. 

IMAX PLF ticket of the summer. 

I think I’ll take a “wait and see” approach to this, but the final thing I’ll say is that being big in the past doesn’t it’ll be big or even a moderate hit today. Sometimes it happens (TGM of course) but not always.

It’s not a 1-to-1 comparison, but Independence Day was even bigger than Twister in 1996 (more than 800M unadjusted!) and the sequel in 2016 couldn’t cross 400M. There are reasons why beyond just time (very poor reviews and reception), but being a sequel to a decades old film that made bank doesn’t even guarantee it won’t flop, let alone recapture the zeitgeist.

45 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

but it is the sequel to a movie that in its time opened as big as any of those. 

True but usually legasequel bank plays more to the original than this one seems to be. Which doesn't mean the movie is bad or anything but if you didn't know about the first Twister it doesn't necessarily stand out from any other disaster movie, so the pedigree of the first may not help it.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedorito said:

I think I’ll take a “wait and see” approach to this, but the final thing I’ll say is that being big in the past doesn’t it’ll be big or even a moderate hit today. Sometimes it happens (TGM of course) but not always.

It’s not a 1-to-1 comparison, but Independence Day was even bigger than Twister in 1996 (more than 800M unadjusted!) and the sequel in 2016 couldn’t cross 400M. There are reasons why beyond just time (very poor reviews and reception), but being a sequel to a decades old film that made bank doesn’t even guarantee it won’t flop, let alone recapture the zeitgeist.

Independence Day - they massively screwed that up. Should have been a slam dunk, but it was ill conceived. I don’t feel that with Twisters.  We’ll see. 

Speaking of ID4, those that were adults when it came out can only attest to how much of a pop culture phenomenon that was in 1996.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Independence Day - they massively screwed that up. Should have been a slam dunk, but it was ill conceived. I don’t feel that with Twisters.  We’ll see. 

Speaking of ID4, those that were adults when it came out can only attest to how much of a pop culture phenomenon that was in 1996.  

I don't think this'll quite be that if only because Twisters pretty much has to be cheaper

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't think this'll quite be that if only because Twisters pretty much has to be cheaper

no doubt. More that this looks like a sequel to Twisters that retains what made the first film work.  Resurgence was devoid of that from back to front.  There’s ingredients in it that do work, but overall it was so disappointing.  They even had a ready built second sequel that’s set up in the last act. 

It actually did alright when considering the tepid reception 

17 hours ago, DAJK said:

Calling it, there’s going to be a tornado disaster somewhere in Oklahoma/Nebraska sometime in May/June and people are going to call for this movie’s release to be canceled.

Moore, Oklahoma gets a shellacking about once every 10 years so it's unfortunately a strong chance. That poor town has been run through by 4 violent tornadoes just in my lifetime. 

As for the trailer, those are the best looking/most realistic CGI tornadoes I think I've seen. I don't think this movie needs a strong plot if the effects are as good as they appear at first blush, similar to Twister

18 hours ago, Torontofan said:

as i said even if it makes okay money it will be quite popular on streaming and tv.

Greenland made hardly any movie in theaters but made like close to 80 million in VOD rentals lol 

Proof that there is a huge & dormant audience out there for the genre, waiting to come back to theaters for the right film

1 hour ago, stripe said:

Proof that there is a huge & dormant audience out there for the genre, waiting to come back to theaters for the right film

Disaster movies dont have loyal bases but they are films that interest a lot of people. 

21 hours ago, Torontofan said:

as i said even if it makes okay money it will be quite popular on streaming and tv.

Greenland made hardly any movie in theaters but made like close to 80 million in VOD rentals lol 

Greenland was bought for Prime in a lot of territories. 

On a separate note, went looking for the original Twister this evening to watch. Nowhere in the UK has it for streaming, and the disc is currently out of print. Somebody gotta get a 4K disc out already! 

Twister is like ID4 and Armageddon. Absurd story but perfect cast and emotionally compelling storylines more than offset the absurdity of the premise. It is STILL awesome. 

• Like 3

There were definitely reports when this was first announced in late 2022 that it would be about the daughter of Hunt and Paxton's characters, which is presumably who the DEJ character was supposed to be. Who knows when they decided to drop that since they've been claiming this isn't a direct sequel. Might've been when it became clear that Hunt wasn't coming back (whether that was always the plan or they made an offer to her and she passed? We might never know).