Eric the Ape

Twisters | Uni/WB | July 19, 2024 | A remake (?) to the 1996 classic

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

But it has no nostalgia though?

People remember flocking in droves and loving it in 1996. I was there. I remember how massive it was.  That crowd will come out for this. The youngsters will come for Powell.  The popcorn crowd will come out for the thrills.  Just wait. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Yeah aside from the title it's really not tying into the first. Compared to say Ghostbusters youd never know this was a sequel if you weren't familiar with the first 

you would if you’ve seen Twister as it looks exactly like Twister. It couldn’t be more familiar to anybody who saw that movie. 

Pretty sure Dorothy was in there 

Edited by wildphantom

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

People remember flocking in droves and loving it in 1996. I was there. I remember how massive it was.  That crowd will come out for this. The youngsters will come for Powell.  The popcorn crowd will come out for the thrills.  Just wait. 

That’s what they said about Michael Keaton’s Batman in The Flash.

Frankly, I saw Twister on TV once. Had no idea it was considered a popular movie until this sequel was announced.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

you would if you’ve seen Twister as it looks exactly like Twister. It couldn’t be more familiar to anybody who saw that movie. 

Pretty sure Dorothy was in there 

After seeing that trailer I can only assume that Glen Powell has never actually seen Twister considering he claimed that this isn’t a remake/reboot when it so clearly is. Dorothy was definitely there, but instead of the robot sensors trying to help them predict tornadoes, it looks like they’re trying to “stop” them?

Whatever though, looks fun, I’m in.

Edited by SnokesLegs

Perhaps I'm just blind, but I'm not seeing the appeal for this.

If this touches Twister's $495 million global total, I'll be surprised. It's a sequel to an almost 30 year old movie. While not necessarily a recipe for disaster, I can think of some 30 year old films I'd pick to make a sequel for before this one.

Edited by NoobSaibot

For those that don’t remember the impact the first film had. 

I believe it had the fourth biggest opening weekend of all time when it came out in May 1996

if I remember correctly, only Jurassic Park and the first two Batman movies had opened bigger. 

it then legged it out all summer with a 6x multiplier. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

I mean it'd need to get $925 million to be closer to top gun than dial of destiny so that seems pretty obvious. 

The “and nostalgia” was doing most of the heavy lifting in that sentence.

But what I meant was the film’s performance relative to the previous film in the franchise, not literally the midpoint between what DoD and TGM made.

(Also adjusted for inflation Twisters made nearly a billion in 1996).

I'm just glad Lee Isaac Chung already has his next non-blockbuster project lined up. Even if this ends up being bad, his career can only take so much of a hit when he's got a Bong Joon Ho-produced, Steven Yeun-starring, Eric Roth-written film in the works.

That said, I watched Twister a million times when I was a kid, and it's not like I'm that susceptible to nostalgia bait but it really feels like that pulpy, special effects-laden display of blockbuster emotionality is here in ample doses, and I love that all the actors seem to fully understand the assignment: Daisy Edgar Jones' delivery of "she's gorgeous!" and that little finger twirl later on, Brandon Perea's crazed yelling, Glen Powell's whole perpetual vibe. They know exactly what kinda movie they're in. I will be seated.

• Like 1

Calling it, there’s going to be a tornado disaster somewhere in Oklahoma/Nebraska sometime in May/June and people are going to call for this movie’s release to be canceled.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Calling it, there’s going to be a tornado disaster somewhere in Oklahoma/Nebraska sometime in May/June and people are going to call for this movie’s release to be canceled.

People on Twitter will claim it was marketing stunt orchestrated by Universal and Warner Bros to promote the film.