Eric the Ape

Disney+ MCU: Secret Invasion | Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn and Olivia Colman

My feelings exactly:

Spoiler

And I do think this implies that it leads to Marvel’s own take of the MI6. I think it starts interesting and then… we really need more episodes to flesh out what is going on, or just don’t do them.

Edited by ZattMurdock

On 7/2/2023 at 3:58 PM, dudalb said:

I think some people here just have it in for the DCU.

On 7/2/2023 at 11:49 PM, dudalb said:

I meant MCU.

Understandable mix up. It’s hard to tell the difference between the 2 mediocre studios these days.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 12:18 PM, ZattMurdock said:
  Hide contents

I think they are pulling a The Winter Soldier on us. I don’t think Maria Hill is actually dead, but working undercover. Remember how we legit thought that Fury died in TWS and Maria covered that perfectly to take down Hydra? I think the same thing is at play here. I think that’s who Fury was talking at the phone by the end of the 5th episode. 

This was much better than what we got, btw. Lmao

I love the MCU, I think that the Disney+ series has been some of the most intriguing and exciting developments to that universe. I think Loki, She-Hulk, WandaVision, Werewolf By Night, Ms. Marvel, Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special and Hawkeye are worthy additions to the MCU that I’m very excited to see more of them next. I personally want more a She-Hulk second season which is the perfect model for the character more than a Loki second season.

I think Secret Invasion episode 2 and 3 have some of the best dialogues in the genre. I think there are some (very few, but still) good subplots with this last episode. With that said, this:

Secret Invasion fizzles out, imho. I love Captain America and the Winter Soldier, but I still think that one should be an actual film instead of a series. I really dig What If… for what it is, Moon Knight is cool and I’d be down for more, but it was my least favorite of the bunch so far. Well, not anymore.

After sleeping on it - and very unsatisfied with it, to the point that I had to literally read some comics, and thank god they were a bunch of brilliant comics this morning, I’d argue that Hellfire Gala 2023 might be one of the best, most beautiful, important and brutal X-Men comics of all time - I gotta say this is the most disappointed I’ve been with the MCU literally ever. It has great ideas, and it could be great. It needed more room to breathe, but clearly also better writers. Super Skrulls idea was good until well, this.

And just like Newby, I was literally hoping for She-Hulk to show up and restart the show. Like, Feige honey, what the fuck are you doing?

I literally need to just rewatch She-Hulk to just feel better about Disney+ MCU shows again. For real, this ending was pathetic.

I cannot express how disappointing this show was to me, it´s the worst D+ show by far for me. Phase 4 > Phase 5.

I loved WandaVision, I enjoyed Falcon. Loved Loki, and Hawkeye was really good until the final. Adores Ms.Marvel but the same flaws happening again and again with the six episode format just becomes worse and worse with each show. If they make another 6 episode show after Iron Heart which is that last that we know of that will be that they really don´t give a f. Honestly for me they can just stop making these shows and just make movies. So beaten by this man.

Edited by thajdikt
  • Like 4

Ms marvel     8.0

Moon knight  7.5

Wandavision 7.0

What if            7.0

Hawkwye.       6.8

LOKI.                5.5

F&WS.              5.0

She hulk.          5.0

Secret invasion  1.5

Just a dud of a show . Finale was just eye rolling and dumbest content MCU has produced. Just a pointless series overall. Fiege and team dropped the ball so bad here. Don't know how this got approved!!!

• Like 1

I feel like Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen could’ve made a great series out of this. Anyone who’s watched agents of shield pass the first half of season 1 knows they make great tv. Maybe shutting down Marvel television was a mistake.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eddyxx said:

I feel like Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen could’ve made a great series out of this. Anyone who’s watched agents of shield pass the first half of season 1 knows they make great tv. Maybe shutting down Marvel television was a mistake.

I think Richard Newby (the THR film critic I’ve quoted above) is spot on when he says that there are some real strong moments on the first three episodes. So I’m not entirely sure if the problem is the head writers or more like this tight schedule for the show having six episodes is the real culprit here. 

The problem imho isn’t the series themselves, it’s how they are designed and how much ahead they are planned; meaning, yeah we are during a strike but we should have news for both a She-Hulk and a Ms. Marvel second season at this point, Secret Invasion needed at very least 6 more episodes and a complete overhaul of the last 3 episodes plot. 

Otherwise I agree with @thajdikt here, unless Marvel Studios has something to say that it needs the tv series format (and I’d argue that Daredevil, She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel fit that mold perfectly, same for Hawkeye but I’m content with that one being a limited series like WandaVision), stick to the films.

I agree with all the previous posters - this was the worst MCU show by a mile...and that's saying something b/c they have already made some poor content.

But with the material they had from the comics, to end up with this show - wow.  

It's an F for me.  I found nothing redeeming about this show after the finale.  I would have preferred the show never existed - I'm hoping for a future "this was a dream you had" sequence, so we know none of it mattered or happened...

"This should have been a movie so that they could have the Avengers revealed as Skrulls" is such a confusing take Ive seen since now people are pissed at one of the Avengers having been a Skrull (but only in the finale and...not the episode where it was actually revealed Rhodey was a Skrull)?

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I agree with all the previous posters - this was the worst MCU show by a mile...and that's saying something b/c they have already made some poor content.

But with the material they had from the comics, to end up with this show - wow.  

It's an F for me.  I found nothing redeeming about this show after the finale.  I would have preferred the show never existed - I'm hoping for a future "this was a dream you had" sequence, so we know none of it mattered or happened...

To be honest Secret Invasion is highly disliked for under delivering the premise and ironically, just like Secret Invasion’s tv show, to have an unsatisfactory ending and villain.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

"This should have been a movie so that they could have the Avengers revealed as Skrulls" is such a confusing take Ive seen since now people are pissed at one of the Avengers having been a Skrull (but only in the finale and...not the episode where it was actually revealed Rhodey was a Skrull)?

This show has way more  issues than Whether certain fanboys wanted avengers to be skrulls or something. 

The show was just terribly written and my theory is fiege and team knew it was bad and just dumped it. Final 3 episodes are like 35ish minutes including credits. Actors outside of Colman just didn't care and we're just sleepwalking the whole series and seemed they were just there for the paycheck. So many pathetic deaths.

But this story should have been a whole  phase or they should not have made it at all because MCU cant  do tv Format . They want to have the cake and eat it too.

They want the shows to be required viewing but they also want them to be sort of  filler so they don't live the GA who don't follow the shows to lag behind.

According to leaks , the ending of this series will connect to an  MCU movie  next year . If that pans out then this show was just padding to get us to that movie  which would be  a shame .

212m budget  for this feels like a laundering scheme LMAO